Forums are back in action! ×

"What are you, some kind of artist or something?" - Post a Pic!

Hi! Is anyone else here interested in painting, drawing, sculpture, crafts, or any other form of art? :)

I have an art blog, but there are really no people with whom I could talk about art, share my drawings/paintings/what-have-yous and change thoughts. And, well, since NF is filled with like-minded people, I thought about giving this a go. I think it would be nice to share our art here, get comments, and share ideas! And if there happens to be a topic like this already, please guide me there. I searched for one, but couldn't find anything similar...!

So... Come out, come out, wherever you are! :D

• Like 6

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

7 hours ago, Evicious said:

Your art is beautiful! I haven't been very creative in a long, long time... maybe this thread could help bring me back to it?

Thank you! :D We should probably keep this as convenient as possible: anything goes, from a quick sketch to a  20-feet-tall sculpture! And it's OK to post a low-quality pic with a camera phone.

Maybe I should add this to the topic...

• Like 3

^Holy crapsicle, your art is good!!

My blog: http://www.ameliabaxter.net/blog/

I'm still trying various strategies to get myself to sketch regularly. I'm not totally art blocked now, but I'm working on personal stuff for other people so I don't want to post it. I need to keep doing little paintings I can post because they make me happy.

• Like 1

2017: Year of the Epic Travel Adventure

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Current challenge - Metallica Theme

Previous: 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle log/inspiration thread

19 hours ago, BitterOyster said:

^Holy crapsicle, your art is good!!

My blog: http://www.ameliabaxter.net/blog/

I'm still trying various strategies to get myself to sketch regularly. I'm not totally art blocked now, but I'm working on personal stuff for other people so I don't want to post it. I need to keep doing little paintings I can post because they make me happy.

Aww, thank you! I'm glad to hear you like it...! And cool to meet a person from the other side of the world (I'm from Finland)! :D

Oh gosh, your style is so lovely! The sketches from the shopping mall are well captured (it's such a busy deal to sketch people without them knowing it o__o #brushStalkers?) and you have a great sense of light and space. I like this one, especially:

tarragona.png?format=300w

I'd love to see something from you! Anything is welcome, from the quickest sketch to an art exhibition :D

• Like 7

Yay art thread! Good idea @Shepherd Fox :) and sweet blog! I agree with not liking water-based clay,it's horrible to work with. Glad you found a better alternative though! I've played around with Fimo and Sculpy (not sure if they're available where you're based) but honestly my favourite is plain old plasticine. So great being able to pick up where you left off and not have to worry about the clay setting. Just talking about is making me want to get back into sculpting...

• Like 3

Had to look it up but this is the official (wikipedia lol) word on the matter:  "The grey fantail (Rhipidura albiscapa) is a small insectivorous bird. A common fantail found in Australia (except western desert areas), New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. The species is considered by many to conspecific with (the same as) the New Zealand fantail (Rhipidura fuliginosa),[3] however due to differences in its calls some authorities now treat it as a separate species." They look very similar but NZ fantail is maybe slightly browner? So cute

Oh hai there fellow artists!  I am in need of a group like this! Thanks for the invite, Shepard Fox! And your work is still amazeballs. :D

I just recently launched my own art website this week. It's not much and it also has a blog, but I haven't posted much yet. Been hanging around social media. I take art lessons every Tuesday from a retired high school art teacher. And I also do a lot of self teachings in areas she doesn't cover, which can be very hard. :( So maybe I can get some tips here, too. :D

I do a lot of nerd fan art because it makes me happy. But I've recently discovered working with color pencils and I'm in love. :) Here is one I finished about a month ago. I was surprised at myself, I've never done fur before and I am so happy with how it turned out. :D

GreyFox.jpg

• Like 6

Rising Heroes Faction: HAVIK 

Fitbit | Art Page | Instagram

9 hours ago, Owlet said:

Yay art thread! Good idea @Shepherd Fox :) and sweet blog! I agree with not liking water-based clay,it's horrible to work with. Glad you found a better alternative though! I've played around with Fimo and Sculpy (not sure if they're available where you're based) but honestly my favourite is plain old plasticine. So great being able to pick up where you left off and not have to worry about the clay setting. Just talking about is making me want to get back into sculpting...

Yay! Glad to have another artist in :) And thanks, that's very sweet of you! I bolted the part that I found pretty great: if talking about art helps us all get more inspired and active, I'm sure we'll all be happier with ourselves :D

8 hours ago, Owlet said:

Yeah this one is lovely @BitterOyster ! Such a nice contrast in lighting, beautiful depth. 

I love this one too:

pelicanResized.png?format=300w

I rediscovered the joy of watercolours recently, just making gifts and cards for friends, but stupidly forgot to take photos of them doh! Here's one I did a few years back though:

d53ae2fc470390915d2e63e67df01fd5.jpg

... I only now realized to click on "Artwork" at the top of BitterOyster's page, LOL. Gorgeous paintings :o The lightning and colouring are so well controlled! And the scientific illustrations are so well made. Wow. Just wow :D

Owlet, that little bird is so cute! It looks like it has a grey eyebrow, like >:I Bird anatomy is pretty challenging, but you've captured it well :)

4 hours ago, LadyGrey said:

Oh hai there fellow artists!  I am in need of a group like this! Thanks for the invite, Shepard Fox! And your work is still amazeballs. :D

I just recently launched my own art website this week. It's not much and it also has a blog, but I haven't posted much yet. Been hanging around social media. I take art lessons every Tuesday from a retired high school art teacher. And I also do a lot of self teachings in areas she doesn't cover, which can be very hard. :( So maybe I can get some tips here, too. :D

I do a lot of nerd fan art because it makes me happy. But I've recently discovered working with color pencils and I'm in love. :) Here is one I finished about a month ago. I was surprised at myself, I've never done fur before and I am so happy with how it turned out. :D

GreyFox.jpg

Glad to have you here, LadyGray! I hope you're right and we can all share tips and advice with one another! Personally, I wouldn't mind getting some critique on my work, as well - especially as we're all probably understanding and supporting artists ;)

As Shepherd Fox, I approve of the fox drawing :D The fur looks so soft! It can be difficult to get the fur right around the face, but you've managed well! And you have a great vision with colouring, judged by your website :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shepherd Fox said:

Glad to have you here, LadyGray! I hope you're right and we can all share tips and advice with one another! Personally, I wouldn't mind getting some critique on my work, as well - especially as we're all probably understanding and supporting artists ;)

As Shepherd Fox, I approve of the fox drawing :D The fur looks so soft! It can be difficult to get the fur right around the face, but you've managed well! And you have a great vision with colouring, judged by your website :)

Thanks :) Getting the delicate look of the fur was challenging! But i persisted! And now I just wants to pet hims. :D

• Like 1

Rising Heroes Faction: HAVIK 

Fitbit | Art Page | Instagram

8 hours ago, Shepherd Fox said:

They do sound artsy and interesting. Post us a pic?

Here's my current pride and joy, I have another that I'm working on that's a lot more involved, still trying to work out how to finish up some parts to that one.

This one is Amboyna Burl with Rhodium plated components.

12764796_528836603945054_881942087403933

• Like 7

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

3 hours ago, insanity said:

Here's my current pride and joy, I have another that I'm working on that's a lot more involved, still trying to work out how to finish up some parts to that one.

This one is Amboyna Burl with Rhodium plated components.

12764796_528836603945054_881942087403933

OK, that pen is a piece of art O__o What I had in mind with this group was to focus on drawing or painting, but there are really no limits. Crafting pens reminded me of a thread for Crafty Nerds (been quiet for a while, but if you want to focus on the process rather than the design, try to revive it?). I don't know about other people here, but I can't give you any comment on the process of building the pens, since I have no experience or knowledge. But I'd love to give feedback on the design and appearance! And who knows, maybe there's someone else here who's learned to make pens? Or maybe we'll all be inspired to give it a go ourselves?

Nevertheless, you're absolutely welcome, if you feel like this would be a good place to share your work and get feedback. That's the main purpose of this thread: getting support in creating art :)

Just one question: how do you make those pens? :D

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Owlet said:

yay horse sketches are my favourite! Lovely clean lines, very majestic :) 

ps how do you do a horse emoji?!

Thank you! You're right, horses are the best ;)

The horse emoji is actually from my Samsung phone! Not sure if this will work, but try writing [ emoji206 ] without the spaces between the brackets and the text [emoji206]

ED; Works for me on computer. Hopefully you'll get a horse, too :D

• Like 3

On 5/23/2016 at 1:35 AM, Shepherd Fox said:

Thank you! You're right, horses are the best ;)

The horse emoji is actually from my Samsung phone! Not sure if this will work, but try writing [ emoji206 ] without the spaces between the brackets and the text emoji206.png

ED; Works for me on computer. Hopefully you'll get a horse, too :D

Wheeeee thanks! Let's see...  [emoji206] 

Agh it worked! Such joy hehe  [emoji206]  [emoji206]  [emoji206]  [emoji206]  [emoji206] 

• Like 2