Forums are back in action! ×

A wounded rebel returns

Greetings Rebellion!

The backstory - Here there be dragons

I've been reading NerdFitness for years, though I haven't been active on the forums.

In more recent times though, I fell almost completely out of touch with the Rebellion due to all of my attention and energy going to another fight: Depression.

Following rule 1, I won't burden you with an elaborate story, but suffice it to say: It was not pretty (It never is) and it has taken a heavy toll on pretty much all other areas of my life.

Now, as I slowly begin to resurface from the darker corners of my own mind, I turn once again to the Rebellion, in the hopes that I might find support and advice here, as I try to get back on my feet.

(Please though, do NOT offer me advice on treatment of depression or anything like that. That is not what I came here for, I get that elsewhere, and I would like my time here to be about something else. It just felt disingenuous not to talk about this at all.)

Who am I? - Lions as well

Now that the slightly darker stuff is out of the way, here is a little about me:

I am 25 years old, male, and a student.

Aslan is actually a name people at university call me by, because my actual name is pretty common and thus it's easy to get people mixed up. Even so, I have taken a liking to my lion persona.

I am not unhealthy - physically at least - as I am blessed with a body that seems to stay in reasonable shape pretty much whatever I do to it, but I am very far from as fit as I have been and, for that matter, would like to be.

I also have a fairly hyperactive metabolism, so - while I don't need to worry about getting fat - muscle building has always been a bit of a challenge for me.

I am a nerd - obviously - and love videogames, anime, science fiction, and fantasy as well as music, which I spend a lot of time both listening to and playing myself.
I practice Wing Chun kung fu, though it - as everything else - has been neclected a bit recently. I also love to dance, and have taken several classes.

What I would like to do here - Can a lion slay a dragon?

I am trying to build myself up again, hopefully stronger this time, but it's a hard and a long process. I'm trying to take it very slowly indeed, as I don't want to risk getting stressed out about it and falling back into a dark place.
So while I'm slowly putting the pieces back into their proper places, I hope to find a community here that can help keep me on target. If nothing else it may help me to keep thinking about fitness and getting healthy, simply because I am talking about it with other people here.
Of course friendly people, good conversations, etc. would all be nice too, but those are bonus features to me right now.

I hope that you will accept me (back) into your ranks, and please feel free to ask any questions you might have.
-Aslan

P.S.

I don't know if this needs to be said, but remember that even though I did go through some stuff, I am not made of glass, so don't feel like you need to handle with care.

• Like 3

I already am the lion, so I don't need to roar!

Aslan's Respawn/Qarantine Challenge

Welcome, @Aslan! I am new here and don't know you from before, but I do know a bit about depression, so I honor you for fighting your way back here. I am a student as well, so I also know a bit about that.  :-)

I do not, however, know about Wing Chun kung fu - what sets it apart from other forms of kung fu? Also, what kind of dancing do you like?

I hope that you find the encouragement and support here that you're looking for! I look forward to hearing more about your health and fitness journey!

~ Sky

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Thank a lot @SkyGirl, I appreciate it.
Well as I don't know all that much about other kung fu styles, I can't give you a definitive answer, but one of the things about Wing Chun is that it's less acrobatic than other styles of kung fu, which means that generally it looks a lot less impressive, but is also often more effective. It's a style that's not made for exhibition matches and stuff like that (though I believe they do exist) but more for actual serious self-defense, as it can be quite dangerous when you fight seriously.

One of the things that people generally think of when they think of is the chain punch, which among other things can be seen here:

It's from a movie, but he's really quite good. It may look a bit disturbing, but like I said, it's serious self defense, and also it's from one of the darker points of the movie.

As for dancing, I've mostly taken salsa/cha-cha-cha classes. I love how those moves can be transferred over to dancing to pretty much any kind of music, as long as it's in 4/4 as well, if you just have some rythm and creativity.
I've also done a bit of more choreographed dancing (think Step Up) for a show, which is also a lot of fun, but lacks a bit of the creative and improvisational thing that I really like.

And then obviously just going out on the floor and doing whatever feels right at a party with my friends. :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aslan said:

Thank a lot @SkyGirl, I appreciate it.
Well as I don't know all that much about other kung fu styles, I can't give you a definitive answer, but one of the things about Wing Chun is that it's less acrobatic than other styles of kung fu, which means that generally it looks a lot less impressive, but is also often more effective. It's a style that's not made for exhibition matches and stuff like that (though I believe they do exist) but more for actual serious self-defense, as it can be quite dangerous when you fight seriously.

One of the things that people generally think of when they think of is the chain punch, which among other things can be seen here:

It's from a movie, but he's really quite good. It may look a bit disturbing, but like I said, it's serious self defense, and also it's from one of the darker points of the movie.

As for dancing, I've mostly taken salsa/cha-cha-cha classes. I love how those moves can be transferred over to dancing to pretty much any kind of music, as long as it's in 4/4 as well, if you just have some rythm and creativity.
I've also done a bit of more choreographed dancing (think Step Up) for a show, which is also a lot of fun, but lacks a bit of the creative and improvisational thing that I really like.

And then obviously just going out on the floor and doing whatever feels right at a party with my friends. :D

WOW. That is seriously intense and looks amazing to learn. I can't even imagine how much strength and stamina you'd need for those rapid-fire punches! Like you said, though, it looks very practical and like something you could actually use in self-defense. 

Yay salsa! The only dance I am comfortable with is the merengue, but I have tried salsa ... sounds like you're a pretty flexible, coordinated guy! I'm impressed!  :-)

Do you have a challenge thread going? Or are you scoping things out for a little while before jumping in?

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

On 20/07/2016 at 3:10 AM, Aslan said:

Greetings Rebellion!

The backstory - Here there be dragons

I've been reading NerdFitness for years, though I haven't been active on the forums.

In more recent times though, I fell almost completely out of touch with the Rebellion due to all of my attention and energy going to another fight: Depression.

Following rule 1, I won't burden you with an elaborate story, but suffice it to say: It was not pretty (It never is) and it has taken a heavy toll on pretty much all other areas of my life.

Now, as I slowly begin to resurface from the darker corners of my own mind, I turn once again to the Rebellion, in the hopes that I might find support and advice here, as I try to get back on my feet.

(Please though, do NOT offer me advice on treatment of depression or anything like that. That is not what I came here for, I get that elsewhere, and I would like my time here to be about something else. It just felt disingenuous not to talk about this at all.)

Who am I? - Lions as well

Now that the slightly darker stuff is out of the way, here is a little about me:

I am 25 years old, male, and a student.

Aslan is actually a name people at university call me by, because my actual name is pretty common and thus it's easy to get people mixed up. Even so, I have taken a liking to my lion persona.

I am not unhealthy - physically at least - as I am blessed with a body that seems to stay in reasonable shape pretty much whatever I do to it, but I am very far from as fit as I have been and, for that matter, would like to be.

I also have a fairly hyperactive metabolism, so - while I don't need to worry about getting fat - muscle building has always been a bit of a challenge for me.

I am a nerd - obviously - and love videogames, anime, science fiction, and fantasy as well as music, which I spend a lot of time both listening to and playing myself.
I practice Wing Chun kung fu, though it - as everything else - has been neclected a bit recently. I also love to dance, and have taken several classes.

What I would like to do here - Can a lion slay a dragon?

I am trying to build myself up again, hopefully stronger this time, but it's a hard and a long process. I'm trying to take it very slowly indeed, as I don't want to risk getting stressed out about it and falling back into a dark place.
So while I'm slowly putting the pieces back into their proper places, I hope to find a community here that can help keep me on target. If nothing else it may help me to keep thinking about fitness and getting healthy, simply because I am talking about it with other people here.
Of course friendly people, good conversations, etc. would all be nice too, but those are bonus features to me right now.

I hope that you will accept me (back) into your ranks, and please feel free to ask any questions you might have.
-Aslan

P.S.

I don't know if this needs to be said, but remember that even though I did go through some stuff, I am not made of glass, so don't feel like you need to handle with care.

Not offering advice, I  hate that too, just wanted to say I too am a prior member returning after and extended battle with brain monsters. High Five to us.

Hell yes you can build yourself up again, if you got there once you can durned well get there again!

Welcome back!

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

Welcome back @Aslan

I understand the battle you've had with depression and also your reasons for not wanting to discuss it on here. I wouldn't want that to be the thing that defined me, but I want to say that no one here will judge you because of it, or for dropping off the radar whilst things were bad. Well done for getting back on top of it and coming back to the forum. I hope some of your previous friends are still here but if not then I'm sure you will make new ones. 

All the best. 

Guzzi

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 20/07/2016 at 5:53 PM, Bookish Badger said:

Welcome back, Rebel! You'll find support for whatever goals you want to work on here.

Thanks Badger!

15 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

WOW. That is seriously intense and looks amazing to learn. I can't even imagine how much strength and stamina you'd need for those rapid-fire punches! Like you said, though, it looks very practical and like something you could actually use in self-defense. 

Yay salsa! The only dance I am comfortable with is the merengue, but I have tried salsa ... sounds like you're a pretty flexible, coordinated guy! I'm impressed!  :-)

Do you have a challenge thread going? Or are you scoping things out for a little while before jumping in?

Yeah I think it's a lot of fun, and it can be pretty intense, though it's obviously not anywhere as intense as shown in the movie, when you're training. Our Sifu (Chinese word, used to refer to the trainer) is also not as hardcore military style discipline as were some other martial arts instructors I have trained under, which is part of what I like about him. :)

I don't know if I'm particularly flexible or coordinated, but I have been playing music my entire life, so the fact that I don't even need to think about the rythms and such gives me a pretty big advantage over a lot of other people who are just starting out.

No challenge thread yet no, though I do have a daily log:
http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/85891-starting-over-from-scratch/#comment-1971082
I'm also tentatively following the current Assassin's Guild mini challenge, but other than that, I'm gonna go easy for a while, to ease back into gear.
In purely physical terms, I could definitely go a lot faster, but it's the mental part that's the biggest challenge for me right now. I don't want to risk getting stressed out about it and having to dig myself out of another hole. If that makes sense?

12 hours ago, HappyCat said:

Not offering advice, I  hate that too, just wanted to say I too am a prior member returning after and extended battle with brain monsters. High Five to us.

Hell yes you can build yourself up again, if you got there once you can durned well get there again!

Welcome back!

Thanks a lot HappyCat. This was actually excactly what I needed to hear today. It means a lot to hear that I am not alone.
Wanted to insert this picture, but it's not working right now for some reason:
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/mario/images/1/1a/High_five.png/revision/latest?cb=20120318215217

9 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Welcome back @Aslan

I understand the battle you've had with depression and also your reasons for not wanting to discuss it on here. I wouldn't want that to be the thing that defined me, but I want to say that no one here will judge you because of it, or for dropping off the radar whilst things were bad. Well done for getting back on top of it and coming back to the forum. I hope some of your previous friends are still here but if not then I'm sure you will make new ones. 

All the best. 

Guzzi

Thanks Guzzi

I had a distinct feeling that people would not be judgmental here. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have talked about it in the first place.
Actually I was never really here in the first place. I read a couple of posts here and there, but in all, I think I may have posted like three times before this go around, so that's also why I didn't bother trying to find my old account.
Before this, I mostly just read Steve's articles. (Bought the book too :D)

Now THAT was a long post :P
-Your friendly neighbourhood lion

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aslan said:

Yeah I think it's a lot of fun, and it can be pretty intense, though it's obviously not anywhere as intense as shown in the movie, when you're training. Our Sifu (Chinese word, used to refer to the trainer) is also not as hardcore military style discipline as were some other martial arts instructors I have trained under, which is part of what I like about him. :)

I don't know if I'm particularly flexible or coordinated, but I have been playing music my entire life, so the fact that I don't even need to think about the rythms and such gives me a pretty big advantage over a lot of other people who are just starting out.

No challenge thread yet no, though I do have a daily log:
http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/85891-starting-over-from-scratch/#comment-1971082
I'm also tentatively following the current Assassin's Guild mini challenge, but other than that, I'm gonna go easy for a while, to ease back into gear.
In purely physical terms, I could definitely go a lot faster, but it's the mental part that's the biggest challenge for me right now. I don't want to risk getting stressed out about it and having to dig myself out of another hole. If that makes sense?

Yes, that absolutely makes sense! There is nothing wrong with going slowly and starting with small goals, especially at the beginning. My goals look bigger than yours on paper, but I'm also starting slowly and taking manageable steps so I don't get frustrated and quit. We'll take small steps together, yes?  :-)

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART