Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Called a push press, completely legit exercise to focus on the lockout portion as well as to handle more weight overall. If you go into a full jump and land in a squat or split squat at the end, it's a jerk, which is part of a clean & jerk (youtube clean & jerk), one of the olympic lifts. If taking a pressing set to failure, I like to push press a rep or two after I can't press anymore. I know knightwatch does the same and it's helped him develop a pretty impressive 200+ lb press.

I might have to start doing that on my workouts... at least after the prescribed amount is done.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I would have done the same but asked "You play D&D?" all excitedly.

I've always wanted to try it but I've never actually gotten a chance to :P Ironically, I picked up the term in my sword fighting class....

• Like 2

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

Called a push press, completely legit exercise to focus on the lockout portion as well as to handle more weight overall. If you go into a full jump and land in a squat or split squat at the end, it's a jerk, which is part of a clean & jerk (youtube clean & jerk), one of the olympic lifts. If taking a pressing set to failure, I like to push press a rep or two after I can't press anymore. I know knightwatch does the same and it's helped him develop a pretty impressive 200+ lb press.

Oh okay, makes sense I suppose, not something I anticipate trying any time soon but good to know.

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

Try which?

D&D, or the mace thing?

I'll leave THAT up you your vivid imagination.

• Like 4

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

My husband is a cardio bunny. Spin bikes, mostly. He watches me do weights but thinks 'it's stupid', which I find infuriating for a man who considers himself athletic and claims to want to be strong. He piddles about on a few weight machines once every couple of weeks. He then said he had taken on some of the things I'd said about bodyweight exercises and was going to start doing Shrimp Squats. I asked if he could even do a normal bodyweight squat. He declared 'sure' but I have never seen him do so. He 'works out' where I can't see him. Finally I see him doing these 'Shrimp Squats' - he is simply putting a bend in the knee, up and down four times. Nothing in the thighs at all, not remotely a squat - just a knee bend. A painful looking one too. 4 on each side.

Then he stops. He says 4 on each side is 'a full leg workout'.

No other moves.

He says he can only squat that way because he's 'tall'. So, just knee bends for 'tall' people then       *eyeroll*.  

I have honestly stopped talking about it. Everything I do is 'wrong' despite delightful and desired results, and everything he does is right despite no results at all. And anything he can't do is because of 'tall' and 'my body simply doesn't work that way'.

I'm 6'4" tall and deep squat every chance I get.  Not nearly as much as BigM or Gainsdalf, but it's certainly possible for us tall guys.  Feel free to show him my form videos from this thread (starting with post #11).

At the gym yesterday, I got to try foam rolling for the first time.

I thought I was alone in the gym so I didn't bother censoring myself as I cussed and whined about rolling out the knots in my calves.

A head pops around the corner to see what is causing the ruckus shortly after I belted out a 'F*ck me sideways with a spiked mace!'

I think I made his day with that one.

I've always wanted to try it but I've never actually gotten a chance to :tongue: Ironically, I picked up the term in my sword fighting class....

There... that sounds a lot better... :-D

Try which?

D&D, or the mace thing?

I'll leave THAT up you your vivid imagination.

Ho-lee chit!!  I'm dying laughing over here!  I feel like you'd be a lot of fun to chill with.  Or run a Mudder with.  Or workout with.  Uncensored is the best way to be.  

• Like 3

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I thought I was alone in the gym so I didn't bother censoring myself as I cussed and whined about rolling out the knots in my calves.

A head pops around the corner to see what is causing the ruckus shortly after I belted out a 'F*ck me sideways with a spiked mace!'

I do it [foam roll] in my room. It keeps my roommate under the impression that I get laid.

I shall now venture to the land of Google and see if it was...

I think you may be right, though it's definitely not an exercise I "get".

I was calling him a jerk that pushes, but that works too.

In all seriousness though, I was stuck at the same weight on my Press for almost a year, until I replaced it with Push Presses (where I can add around 20-30% more load). I think the supermaximal eccentrics are responsible for the past year's rather satisfying Press gains.

• Like 6

I do it [foam roll] in my room. It keeps my roommate under the impression that I get laid.

I think if I ever made the same noises during sex as I do during foam rolling my husband would be afraid and upset.

• Like 6

I don't know that I care so much about the hotness factor. For me, I want a balance between helping me to keep motivated to hit the gym and let's eat ALL the chicken wings.

Two people cannot both eat ALL the chicken wings. If one person eats all the chicken wings, the other person, by definition, gets zero chicken wings. This is why I like that my wife eats a lot less than I do :D

I never understood the "sideways" part...

• Like 5

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

You're just not trying hard enough.   ;)

... :chargrined:

You stop that.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Makes the initial mental image better... it's covered in chapter 2 of the New guide to gym etiquette...

Showed my husband this thread and his only comment was:

Better make it a picture book, maybe some pop up pages too....

• Like 5

Showed my husband this thread and his only comment was:

Better make it a picture book, maybe some pop up pages too....

what about a couple scratch and sniffs too?

• Like 2

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

totally mesmerized by the butt check clenching...  didn't notice anything else...

• Like 3

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

totally mesmerized by the butt check clenching...  didn't notice anything else...

Yea, gonna have to agree, it took the 3rd loop for me to realize there was pressing being done.

• Like 1

Yea, gonna have to agree, it took the 3rd loop for me to realize there was pressing being done.

What Pressing?

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Though I will admit that I clicked the link again and it must have sounded like some really inappropriate is happening in my office...lol thanks!

• Like 1