Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

I like that you clarified. 

I think as a parent, being in shape should be a priority - not only to keep you healthy to be there for your kids, but also setting an example to your children.

Does it take time away from my kids to go to the gym? Sure, so I encourage them to come with me (now that they are at the age that they can). If they don't want to, that's fine; but it's less time away from them than (and I'm totally generalizing here) sitting down with my friends to drink beer and watch football.

I will be the first to admit I let myself go after I had my kids. Is a mombod (is that a thing too?) possibly the best I'm going to get? Maybe - but my kids will see me work my hardest to get the best one I can.

I could imagine:

'Kevin, you had better be going ful ROM and not doing power curtsies in the rack!'

'Sorry mom'

• Like 3

I could imagine:

'Kevin, you had better be going ful ROM and not doing power curtsies in the rack!'

'Sorry mom'

Oh dear. A whole Nerd Fitness family.

'Mom! John's flaring his elbows on push ups!' 

'Dad! Lucy is curling her back on deadlifts!'

'Paul! Wrap your thumb around the bar when you bench press!'

'Jennifer! You come here and calculate your macros right now!'

Etc. That might be fun actually.

• Like 10

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

'Paul! Wrap your thumb around the bar when you bench press!'

You can't make me Mom!!  I know better!

• Like 2

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

'Samuel!  I hope those aren't curls you are doing in the power rack! If I catch you doing that I will press you!'

Buuuuuttttt Daaaadddd, its the only place that has heavy enough weights to curl.

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

Dad

Yes son?

I have something I want to tell you

What is it son?

I've been been hiding it for years and years and I've finally come to terms with it...I am a curlbro

No son of mine shall ever be a curlbro...LEAVE THIS HOUSE AND NEVER COME BACK!

• Like 2

If you want to work your arms, young man, you go hit that pull up bar!

But Mooomm,  you didn't buy the weigh belt I need for that and holding the 100lb DB with my feet is too hard.

• Like 1

Wheymen

Dad

Yes son?

I have something I want to tell you

What is it son?

I've been been hiding it for years and years and I've finally come to terms with it...I am a curlbro

No son of mine shall ever be a curlbro...LEAVE THIS HOUSE AND NEVER COME BACK!

*walks off crying*

Wheymen

Do Ice Cream Makers then!

you're just trying to embarrass me in front of my friends...  

• Like 1

Wheymen

At what point do y'all switch to a mixed grip?

Not until I have to. I went through a powerlifting competition without using it. The rest was sufficient to give my grip a good recovery. On a single heavy lift, grip strength is not the limiting factor for me. I find that it becomes a factor under the cumulative effect of multiple lifts with little rest.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

I like that you clarified.

I think as a parent, being in shape should be a priority - not only to keep you healthy to be there for your kids, but also setting an example to your children.

Does it take time away from my kids to go to the gym? Sure, so I encourage them to come with me (now that they are at the age that they can). If they don't want to, that's fine; but it's less time away from them than (and I'm totally generalizing here) sitting down with my friends to drink beer and watch football.

I will be the first to admit I let myself go after I had my kids. Is a mombod (is that a thing too?) possibly the best I'm going to get? Maybe - but my kids will see me work my hardest to get the best one I can.

This may sound bad but one thing I hope my daughter is learning from me working out is that my life doesn't revolve around her. She's an only child so we get a lot of one on one time together. I like hearing my husband tell her "don't bug your mom, she's busy," when I'm exercising. Just because I'm around, I shouldn't always have to be available.

• Like 4

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

This may sound bad but one thing I hope my daughter is learning from me working out is that my life doesn't revolve around her. She's an only child so we get a lot of one on one time together. I like hearing my husband tell her "don't bug your mom, she's busy," when I'm exercising. Just because I'm around, I shouldn't always have to be available.

That to me is what parenting is, you're taking a "100% dependent on you" person and training them to be independent, part of that is them operating on their own with you nearby to save them should the screw up too bad.

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

A woman in the gym came up to me today and told me that what I was doing was impressive.

I thought it was strange because all I was doing at the time was stretching, but apparently I got mad stretching skills.

• Like 7

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

At what point do y'all switch to a mixed grip?

I work grip directly so I've started using mixed grip for all my sets. I feel that my setup being consistent is more important than pushing my DOH pulls.

Have you tried doing any grip strength training? I picked up some FatGripz and love them. They hurt my arms so good cause they increase the bar girth making your arms work more to hold the bar. your weight will drop for what you can handle but it will cause your grip strength to skyrocket

Guess I'll be looking for some this weekend... know any stores that sell em?

So I kind of found some.... got one of these and cut it down to size with a cut longways to allow the bar to be put into it. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apool%20noodles

Tested it on some dumb bells at home and it's much harder to lift em, and they're only 10 lbs.

• Like 3

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I could imagine:

'Sorry mom'

Both my son's go to the gym with me (daughter refuses) I'm their coach (ok oldest son has surpassed me. ... damn the testosterone)

One time I'm there with youngest son and he starts to walk away without rerackimg his weights. ... I'm like woah bro don't be a gym jerk rerack!

Later visits found a sign with that on it above the dumbbells

hmmmm... sent by magic.... or fairies.... or small woodland creatures maybe? how does this thing work?

• Like 7

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

When the preworkout kicks in...

http://youtu.be/0jGgzQ8zj3o?t=3m20s

On a side note, does anybody else get a tingly feeling in just their hands and ears when they take preworkout? That's the sign I get that lets me know when it's kicked in, I'm just curious if it happens to everyone or if I'm a freak. I'm hoping both.

• Like 1

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

When the preworkout kicks in...

http://youtu.be/0jGgzQ8zj3o?t=3m20s

On a side note, does anybody else get a tingly feeling in just their hands and ears when they take preworkout? That's the sign I get that lets me know when it's kicked in, I'm just curious if it happens to everyone or if I'm a freak. I'm hoping both.

depending on the brand i get it in my ears

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -