Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Funny moment with any crawls: doing these at home without a treadmill (it's broken) so add I go, my 20 lbs cat decided it's the perfect time to jump onto my back and lie down. I think he's just trying to find new ways to demand attention. ..

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

But judging is fun and at the end of the day no one really cares if fatty wants to lose weight or lift the most possible weight, dies tomorrow from a heart attack or lives into his 90's with his big, fat, hairy lover (male or female, I am not gonna google that fetish)

But dude, they even have their own flag!

41zP6U9ugqL.jpg

ETA: Rules on flags:

• Like 3

A few things of note happened in the gym today so I'll just put them in chronological order.

Saw someone doing floor presses, a perfectly useful exercise, but the guy had no control over the lowering portion of the movement. Every time he lowered the bar his elbows slammed into the floor. I cringed a little every time because of how painful it looked, but I didn't want to look away in case he needed somebody to lift the bar off his chest. Thankfully he was okay, in the short term at least.

A guy came in who was pretty fat, and I just mean that in a descriptive way, he had a big gut and a double-chin. He lifted around the same weight as me, which made me question his goals. Personally I can't understand just aiming for strength, though I know for some people the amount of weight being pushed is all that matters, I don't know if he's been bulking poorly or if he just doesn't care. Again, not judging, I get some people want to just be as strong as possible, I just find it to be an odd mentality. But of course to each their own.

A group of guys came in doing deadlifts with a barbell, shrugs with one of those hexagonal barbells, and seated shoulder press. They set up the bench in the rack opposite mine, then the shrugs they did about an inch away from that bench, then the deadlifts they did on the same platform about an inch away from the shrugs. There was three of them, so all three exercises would be done at the same time and then they'd switch. All of this taking place on a single crowded platform.

Then coming out of the gym I took my headphones off but kept them playing music around my neck, as I like to walk back home with the music playing. I step out of the gym and see some sort of school sports event is taking place, tons of kids everywhere. I then realise that at this moment the song Blurred Lines is playing pretty loudly. Needless to say I skipped to the next song immediately.

How can you infer a persons goals just from seeing him at a certain weight lifting a certain weight the one time?

Maybe the fat guy looks back and thinks "I wonder how that in-shape guy can only push the same amount of weight as me and I've been on a calorie deficit for 2 years and been lifting less than half of that".

As a (I guess ex) fat person I feel a little offended at the judging there and could easily think that about you.

• Like 4

I wasn't judging him, if he's focussed on losing weight then that's fine, if he's focused on gaining strength that's fine too. I meant more that there are plenty of people who have the goal of lift as heavy as possible by whatever means, and I personally find it odd. I used to be fat so I don't judge people for being fat, I was merely retelling what I was thinking about in the gym earlier today.

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

I am confused as to why building strength and losing weight are oppositional goals. I just drank a lot of coffee and still can't figure that out.

Also, I literally lol'd at somebody standing on the pulldown machine to do push downs.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I am confused as to why building strength and losing weight are oppositional goals. I just drank a lot of coffee and still can't figure that out.

Also, I literally lol'd at somebody standing on the pulldown machine to do push downs.

I stood there staring for a minute before deciding you can't fix stupid and moving on.

• Like 1

But dude, they even have their own flag!

Since when does having a flag means anything positive?

I wasn't judging him, if he's focussed on losing weight then that's fine, if he's focused on gaining strength that's fine too. I meant more that there are plenty of people who have the goal of lift as heavy as possible by whatever means, and I personally find it odd. I used to be fat so I don't judge people for being fat, I was merely retelling what I was thinking about in the gym earlier today.

I don't see a reason why you need to defend yourself and even if, let me give you a tip repeating the same thing again and again only works for rich people infront of a juge and not for a normal person at random internet cry babies.

Honestly get a grip people it's not like he said: "Today I saw a fat thing it was so fat it darkened the sun and so hairy it spoke wookie fluently."

or

"I hate fat hairy people, we should hunt them down because they are worthless waist of space and the ones who survive will be less fat at the end"

or

"Fatty Mcfat fat was at my gym today he was fat and weak"

or

"Fat man number two was at my gym today he ate two pizzas, three babies and one puppy while sitting in the squat rack"

I stood there staring for a minute before deciding you can't fix stupid and moving on.

Maybe I'm missing something here:

Is there a machine at your gym to work push downs?

At my gym there's limited equipment so sometimes I have to MacGyver what is there to do what I need. For example; there's no area to do a cable crunch. So I have to kneel on the lat pull down seat and user that. Does it look strange? Probably. Does it work? Yes. So they're is that.

You got angry at the other guy judging someone large moving weights but then get superior at someone trying to make the equipment work for him. Pot meet kettle....

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

Maybe I'm missing something here:

Is there a machine at your gym to work push downs?

At my gym there's limited equipment so sometimes I have to MacGyver what is there to do what I need. For example; there's no area to do a cable crunch. So I have to kneel on the lat pull down seat and user that. Does it look strange? Probably. Does it work? Yes. So they're is that.

You got angry at the other guy judging someone large moving weights but then get superior at someone trying to make the equipment work for him. Pot meet kettle....

There was indeed a cable machine that can easily be used for push-downs and the gentleman involved had been using it only a few minutes before for another exercise.

And on your final point, I also commented about myself looking like an idiot doing high box squats. This wasn't making the equipment work for him, this was wantonly misusing the equipment when there was appropriate equipment freely available.

My thought was that he was standing on the pulldown's seat. Every pulldown machine I've seen has been backless, meaning that you could just stand behind the seat rather than on it.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

There was indeed a cable machine that can easily be used for push-downs and the gentleman involved had been using it only a few minutes before for another exercise.

And on your final point, I also commented about myself looking like an idiot doing high box squats. This wasn't making the equipment work for him, this was wantonly misusing the equipment when there was appropriate equipment freely available.

Ah ok, sense is made. Disregard my previous comment then please.

Also, you said the bid squats helped you get a new PR on your lifts right? So it's silly but it works :)

It was more like this.CS-Circuit_TCPD-hero.png

One foot on the rollers, one on the seat, facing away from the handles having contorted himself to get them where he wanted them and then just letting the stack fall at the end of the set.

??? Wow Ok, now that really is a very amusing visual.

It was more like this.

CS-Circuit_TCPD-hero.png

One foot on the rollers, one on the seat, facing away from the handles having contorted himself to get them where he wanted them and then just letting the stack fall at the end of the set.

Looks like some kind of torture device to me :P

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and, whatever you hit, call it the target."

Protip for music, get some wireless headphones, I got mine like a month ago and it's made my training so much better now I don't have to prevent my phone falling out or worry about the wire being yanked out my ears midlift.

I wear what I think are running shirts, they were all gifts and I figure I don't have anything better to wear, though I do have some old t-shirts from my old days of being fat but I think they'd be too baggy to lift comfortably in. I've been thinking I might order some shirts off of broscience for the gym.

While on the subject of gym clothes, I've been wearing a pair of Nike running shoes (heel is thicker) for a while now but I've heard flat shoes are much better. Should I switch to converse for lifting, anyone? I've got a pair that I don't use very often and I've seen people using them and saying they're great.

Bit late to the party I know but I tend to use Converse for deads and squats and they're definitely better, something to do with having the lower heel (there's loads of people much more experienced than me who can ell you the exact science!)

Of course a possibility, and I get a lot of people only have the goal of strength. I just find it odd is all.

To be fair, my goal when I was losing weight for my wedding was to mainly get strong as I thought the rest would follow (which it did, but that was due to diet as well!) but at one point I was that same guy you saw in the gym, lifting heavy while being a big bloke till I lost the rest of the weight (now I look like a slimmer guy who lifts big so can't complain!)

• Like 1

I had an entertaining morning in the gym. A few incidents of note:

1. A guy standing on some the seat of a sort of fixed lat pulldown machine to do some sort of push down.
  2. A group of teenage guys doing 50kg curl kinda things on the bench whilst shouting at their mate lying down on the actual bench "It's all you!" "Just one more!" "Pause this one... five... six... press"
  3. Another teenaged douchebag barging past the end of my bar to grab a 5kg plate just as I un-racked to squat (he didn't know that 90kg was a light weight for me, I'm a small-ish girl FFS) then using it to do curl-hip-thrusts in front of the mirror whilst scowling at me (I yelled at him when he barged past and scowled back).
  4. A guy doing high-ish rep squats with 190kg on the bar with such power at the top of the ROM that the plates clanged together (this one was more impressive/entertaining than the WTF above).

Admittedly, still feel silly doing high box squats but they're easy and fun and I managed a bit of a PB on deadlifts (90kg for four sets of six beltless with good form and no pain) so I don't care.

90kg squat?  Fuck yeah!  Tell me your secret!  I've maxed at 80 :(