Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Not overheard but observed...man there are a lot of ways to do squats wrong...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

My first comments happened at work but he was telling me how to workout because I'm a girl and do not know these things.

1. I should stop lifting heavy because light weight with high reps do the same

2. Bacon is bad for me (what?)

3. I look fine so I should stop working out as hard (what every girl wants to hear)

4. If I do too many things I will burn myself out so I should settle down, get married and have babies instead.

there would have been a murder.  like seriously.

"fine, I'll get married and have a baby. and then train my baby just as hard as I'll keep training, and then my baby WOULD KICK YOUR CREPSTER ASS."

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

"You never want to squat lower than 45 degrees or your muscles won't develop properly."

- From gym staff helping a newbie put together a training plan.

I hope someday the newbie hears differently.  I remember being only able to squat to 45 without holding onto a bar/TRX for stability help.  But I was also working to overcome that the whole time and do more.  To NEVER go below 45 degrees??

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

"You never want to squat lower than 45 degrees or your muscles won't develop properly."

- From gym staff helping a newbie put together a training plan.

I hope someday the newbie hears differently.  I remember being only able to squat to 45 without holding onto a bar/TRX for stability help.  But I was also working to overcome that the whole time and do more.  To NEVER go below 45 degrees??

maybe s/he meant 45deg past parallel? :P

When I joined my old gym, during my induction session, one of the "PTs" (their job was essentially to make sure no one dies at the gym and to stand around and talk to their mates) told me that I should steer clear of the free weights because, "You don't want to get all bulky and turn your fat into muscle, do you?". My heart sank and I just smiled and nodded. No fucking clue. 

Something good that I was told at one of my gyms the other day, "You can't fire a cannon from a canoe". It's an ace saying and really makes me think about my starting position when I'm about to do a lift. 

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

There's a slightly...ok, completely misogynistic facebook page called "She squats bro" and it shows various women working out and rocking fit workout bodies, I always tell my female friends to check out how hot those women are when they say "But won't I look manly?" when I recommend working out. There's some models that are just eye candy but then some genuine fitness heads!

Go BIG, or go home.

There's a slightly...ok, completely misogynistic facebook page called "She squats bro" and it shows various women working out and rocking fit workout bodies, I always tell my female friends to check out how hot those women are when they say "But won't I look manly?" when I recommend working out. There's some models that are just eye candy but then some genuine fitness heads!

Ok, definitely not work appropriate!  Haha, mind you all the guys on site didn't mind...

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

Oops, sorry, I should have thrown up a NSFW!

IT ISN'T SAFE FOR WORK GUYS AND GALS!!!!!!

Just at home, alone, in the dark. Then it's safe. Very, very....safe.

Also, that's why smartphones were created :)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Yeah, I found that one from knightwatch I think and had to unlike it due to NSFW.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Also, that's why smartphones were created :)

haha unfortunately I still a cell phone from the stone ages!  But the site is still great motivation!

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

The last time I set foot in the gym, I was overhearing what I can only assume to be a personal trainer tell a girl to do "50" of some leg machine (it was like a curling thing for legs? I have no idea). When she was done he was like "OK 50 MORE!"

I was just shaking my head - he was going to kill her!

Niwa no niwa ni wa, niwa no niwatori wa niwaka ni wani wo tabeta.

I'm pretty sure I'm the girl that people tell "You'll never believe what I saw at the gym today" stories about on a regular basis, but I'm okay with it. Today, for example, there was a cage coming available as I got there, so I snagged it and ran through my warm ups quickly. One of the things my chiropractor wants me doing before I squat right now are Side Lying Clams (see video, but I add a band around my knees). Usually the weights area is filled with regulars when I lift, but there was a guy I'd never seen before in the other rack, and I'm fairly certain he thought that I was using the cage strictly to do Jane Fonda moves. Eh...

lol the clam move is GREAT for isolating glute muscles... the reverse is great for the gluteous minimus (knees together- lift the top heel- hold till you start to feel it then do a few reps) me likey

we do those... a lot for dance.  LOL I wouldn't do them hogging a squat rack- only because those go under my "dance" workout- so in the aerobics room- but I've hogged a smith machine- I would do 4 -6 exercises and one of them would be inverted rows/pull ups... but I'm doing timed interval training- so I'll go do burpees- rows, then 4 other things- then back to burpees and rows.

I'm not there for more than 101-5 minutes as I mostly do 50 seconds work 10 seconds rest- but sometimes people get pissed. I'm like frak off- I use it for less time than everyone else in here- you're just mad because i'm not ON it for the entire 10 minutes.  Or standing there next to it for 10 minutes not working. 

they'll get over it!

LMAO

lol the clam move is GREAT for isolating glute muscles... the reverse is great for the gluteous minimus (knees together- lift the top heel- hold till you start to feel it then do a few reps) me likey

we do those... a lot for dance.  LOL I wouldn't do them hogging a squat rack- only because those go under my "dance" workout- so in the aerobics room- but I've hogged a smith machine- I would do 4 -6 exercises and one of them would be inverted rows/pull ups... but I'm doing timed interval training- so I'll go do burpees- rows, then 4 other things- then back to burpees and rows.

Ha! Yeah, I only picked that spot because I was going straight into squats. Otherwise I would have gone somewhere else. But any of the regulars would know that I make good use of the squat racks and wouldn't bat an eye - it was just this one guy who's probably writing his own post for some similar forum thread this afternoon. Oh well!

I wish that video was in the man only thread, having to hold back so many comments.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

That kinda depends on the kind of cannon you're thinking about and the size of the canoe, doesn't it?

I'm sure you could rig one of these onto a good old fashioned Boy Scout Pine Barrens rental canoe pretty effectively, if you were so inclined

320px-Lynx_swivel_gun.JPG

I might be missing the point, though

Fair point. Let me modify.

"You can't fire an old, heavy iron cannon, from a regular sized canoe, due to disproportionate weights, the unsteadiness of the water and the fact that this is just a saying to remind people to keep a strong base position in order to lift well."

Nailed it ;)

I wish that video was in the man only thread, having to hold back so many comments.

Don't censor yourself on our account. 

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

Don't censor yourself on our account.

Then I'll say it...

Hubba Hubba *drool* :emmersed:

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*