Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Lifting big for sick gains: <Guy squats 60kg, does full squats, not bad. Guy then puts on 100kg, squats again but doesn't go down very low at all> 

"What happened to the full squats?"

"Because my knee hurts!"

"Why don't you reduce the weight to compensate?"

"Because I want to lift heavy!" 

Real music: <Rock music is playing> "I fucking hate this music! I can't train!" <guy goes to sound system, turns on DUBSTEP?> "That's better." <Guy begins to fist pump on his way back to the bench, this is not a joke>

Everyday is upper body day: "You don't need to train legs to get big." 

How to scare everyone in the gym: <Big, intimidating power lifter guy is squatting a shit load of weight, like 220kg or something. Somehow, he accidentally drops it on the floor. Massive "THUD" sound is heard by all, all in gym stop and stare at this guy>

"What're you all looking at? GET BACK TO WORK!" <everyone freaks out and quickly resumes lifting> 

• Like 1
How to scare everyone in the gym: <Big, intimidating power lifter guy is squatting a shit load of weight, like 220kg or something. Somehow, he accidentally drops it on the floor. Massive "THUD" sound is heard by all, all in gym stop and stare at this guy>

"What're you all looking at? GET BACK TO WORK!" <everyone freaks out and quickly resumes lifting> 

This guy is now my hero.

Yeah I'd say he's about 6'2 or so. Big guy. He did have an epic beard at the time. Not quite down to the knees, but it was impressive none the less.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he shouted "FUS RO DAH" and it actually blew people away.

please tell me the guy was over 6 foot tall and had a beard to his knees... i feel like he should be a Viking 

Yeah I'd say he's about 6'2 or so. Big guy. He did have an epic beard at the time. Not quite down to the knees, but it was impressive none the less.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he shouted "FUS RO DAH" and it actually blew people away.

Giant bearded weight lifter? Dream guy. 

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

I was resting between squat sets and there was a guy in the corner do calf raises.  I've seen him around a lot, pretty much only doing chest and arms, so this was something new.  He saw me watching, looked a little sheepish and said "Yeah, I know I've got little chicken legs..."  I invited him over to do some squats with me, but he doesn't like squatting.

It made my brain hurt, so I just ignored him for the rest of the session.   When I left he was sitting on his friends lap, while the other guy did skull crushers.

Level 4 Amazon Warrior
STR: 16 | DEX: 5.75 | STA: 9.5 | CON: 9.25 | WIS: 7.5 | CHA: 7.5

FITOCRACY

The best activities for your health are pumping and humping. - Arnold

Quoth the raven "One rep more" - Edgar Allan Bro

i went at the bro-ing hour today and so the usual sorts of things, then saw something possibly unique (or at least relatively rare)... high rep stiff legged power reverse curl and press, got to admit the guy was pretty strong and got up to 80kg for a few fairly smooth reps. i then made him look at me a bit funny when i put my rings up, he wanted a go but apparently his tr's were fried so no game :( i love watching strong guys try out ring dips for the first time :P

my gym used to be a workshop and it's got a second level made from girders and floor boards essentially with a steel fence around the edges which is for the cardio stuff, the fence has verticals every 1 1/2 - 2 metres and i hang em from one of them, it makes me spin a bit but i can mostly control that but it does make the dips easier thanks to the straps pressing against my arms

Some of my favorite people were at the gym this morning...

1. Cutesy couple who practically make out during their workouts. I first noticed them by the locker rooms on a bench and the guy was all up in the girls space. It looked like she was upset and he was trying to talk to her, but he was practically in her lap. Then they've actually been working out lately. Today, he squatted down in front of her (she was sitting) and rubbed her thighs and it looked like she was upset again and he was trying to talk to her. I've seen them like nose-to-nose before too, looking into each others eyes, flirting it up hardcore and I'm just like, "excuse me, go bang in a hotel room, this is a gym. And also, can I use that bench?" They also put the squat bar on their necks and do half squats. :/

2. Super-enthusiastic guy who does every exercise wrong. He gets +1 for his intensity, but he swings dumbbells while doing curls, he bounces the barbell off his chest while doing bench presses, and he leans back until his back is parallel to the floor when he does lat pulldowns. It's crazy. He looks like he might be 50, so I don't feel comfortable mentioning that he's doing it wrong. He might say, "wtf do you know, little 20-something girl in your tight capri pants!"

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

oh the swinging curl guys are my favorite.

I straight called  a friend out on his shit once b/c he was doing that- he was curling what I straight curl- with his whole body.

So I laughed at him then went over when he put a 25 on each side of the easy curl and was talking I nonchalantly walked over and just picked up and banged out a few reps.   Straight- solid- no swinging then put it down and walked away.  That's how it's done bro.  LOL

they are one of my favorites LMAO

Andy Gates?

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Bro-tastic bro who does half squats with plates under his heels, and belted. Talking about how awesome Total Gym is. Loudly. So everyone in gym could hear.

I assume that's plates under heels with shoes that already have heel-to-toe drop?  To my knowledge it's legit to do that with 2.5s or something if you have Chucks or another flat shoe on, to mimic lifting shoes.

This does not excuse half squats.  Or his love affair with Total Gym.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

We got this big dude from Norway at our gym, we call him "Thor".

I overheard him say something that I actually thought was really cool,

"A man does not learn if you give him the fish, you have to teach him to catch for himself."

I liked it. Plus due to the extreme manliness plus accent, it sounded super wise.

I assume that's plates under heels with shoes that already have heel-to-toe drop?  To my knowledge it's legit to do that with 2.5s or something if you have Chucks or another flat shoe on, to mimic lifting shoes.

This does not excuse half squats.  Or his love affair with Total Gym.

One of the crazy awesome lifter guys I used to chat with (one of the few who did real squats and crazy ass deadlifts) used to do that.  At the time I had no idea why.. but assumed it was a mobility thing.  I kinda want to try it.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I was talking to one of our big lads, and he explained that bodybuilders will sometimes deliberately half-squat to just cruelly tension the quad, or something.  I'd have stroked my beard except he had quads like trees.  

I guess it might work kinda like a Romanian deadlift, you have to arrest it yourself so there's a big negative-rep element and that's famously tough. 

..it's the first attempt I've heard to explain a shallow squat with something resembling science.

If you are doing it on purpose- I can ALMOST_ understand... I would rather go half- pause- finish the rep- then go up- pause then continue on- like push ups- half way down- all the way down- half way up all the down etc etc... but you still always do full ROM. 

Using the cookies for heels has it's moments- I have done it a few times- it helped- then I went back to no cookies.  

Not really so much overheard as experienced...

So I thought the worst kind of person in the gym was the kind that didn't re-rack their weights. I was wrong. Today, dude watched while I stood on my tiptoes trying to get plates off the bar in the power rack that was set about a foot taller than I am. While he was swinging around 2.5 lbs to warm up for his (single set on the) bench. Which, no big deal, not his job to help me; I'm a big girl. Until I saw that he didn't re-rack his bench or his dumbbells before leaving, and I realized it was him not re-racking the weights in the power rack in the first place! Bastard. Just stood there watching me struggle with HIS damn mess.

Lvl. 3 Gnome

STR - 4.25/DEX - 2.5/STA - 6.25/CON - 5.5/WIS - 9/CHA - 7.25

Tumblr

Current Challenge / Challenge 2 / Challenge 1

"She believed in dreams, alright, but she also believed in doing something about them...

When Prince Charming didn't come along, she went over to the palace and got him."

- Walt Disney