Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Oh hey, more people talking about continental cleans. These things are like the litmus test for lifters:

Do you know what it is or do you think it's idiots with bad form. 

I guess I am not a lifter :(

But seriously...I don't get it. What is the point?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Hmmmmm....

I remain skeptical. But I'm kind of a noob, so that's ok.

As Karaoke already said, it's not for your random off the street lifter. This is a Strongman Competition lift that needs to be done properly or you're not going to be able to walk.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

I'll be leaving now, thanks; again, let's keep the Runners out of the Weight Room

Hey! I'm a runner who just worked up the courage to move from the Cardio section of weights to the real weight room. Courage and the fact that there are only 50lbs dumbbells in the Cardio area...

Isolation is not what we need, we need cooperation brother. We are all at the gym to better ourselves, let us all help each other at the same time.

(Also that Meme is gold)

Currently lost in Fitness.

Oh man I hate to admit I'm from Albany after watching those videos; but seriously if they tried doing that stuff at the gym I go to the trainers would have made them stop; yes the trainers at the Y are much better than the ones at Albany Crossfit

so this isn't overhearing but it's still pretty funny to me. So today I decided to do a quick timed mile on the treadmill. I tried to pick a treadmill away from everyone else but there was still a guy three treadmills away from me huffing and puffing away, so as I was warming up and increasing the pace I heard him hit his buttons to trying to keep up with me, so just minding my business I hit the button to a comfortable uncomfortable pace and just ran, he tried to keep up with me but after a minute I heard him hit the stop button and throw his water bottle before he went off in a huff. Really you're going to get that bent out of shape about a person running faster than you on a treadmill lmao

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Guest Dirty Deads

Some guy in the sauna was rocking out so hard to Michael Jackson's You Are Not Alone. It was so loud. I could hear it perfectly.

That would have been awesome if you couldn't see him and thought you indeed WERE alone.

They are... But if you go on off hours, and stick to yourself, they are great tools for fitness.

___

Yesterday for the first time I went to the squat rack. I have been doing bodyweight, then dumbbell squats, but at 2 - 70lbs dumbbells now my forearms are struggling where my legs are just fine with adding more weight.

Nervously walk to the end of the gym I never venture to.

Think to myself, man I hope no one is curling in the squat rack.

Arrive to see someone doing shrugs in the squat rack :/

... One more day of Dumbbell squats.

You could always just wait for them to finish rather than not doing it. I'd usually do something right beside the squat rack so I could jump in when he's done. Or go up and ask how many more sets he has. Usually people are just screwing around and if they know someone is waiting they hurry along.

Agreed.  Most of the time, if you ask them how many sets they have left, I've found that people will generally be courteous.  Unless of course you walk up and ask like "When they hell of you off my rack, poser?  I gotta get so swolez!"  Then they take their sweet time finishing.  :)  

I'm such a social coward in the gym. Hate talking to people, which is really strange because out in the world I am entirely the opposite. My mindset has not caught up to my body yet. 

I shall make that my goal for tomorrow at the gym to pull the heads phones out and ask how many sets are left in a polite manner. 

Then give them a chest bump, and talk derogatory of women to fit in ;)

Guest Dirty Deads

I'm such a social coward in the gym. Hate talking to people, which is really strange because out in the world I am entirely the opposite. My mindset has not caught up to my body yet. 

I shall make that my goal for tomorrow at the gym to pull the heads phones out and ask how many sets are left in a polite manner. 

Then you humbly find out...that IS a woman...

I like to sit close and watch/make them uncomfortable at least. They hurry up then.

That's not a very nice stereotype...

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

We just joined a gym, and I'm super cowed by all the curl bros, even though I'm fine talking to people most of the time.

But generally, it's true--just be like 'Hey man, can I use the rack when your done with your lifts?' And most people are chill.

------------

Seen: 4 bros all around the squat rack, one of them about to squat. And there were SO MANY PLATES. I couldn't see clearly, but I want to say at least 4 45's on each side, plus some smaller plates. And I think to myself "Damn, that bloke is awesome. He looks like a curl bro, but that's what I get for judging by appearances. I have to watch this."

So I do. And he's setting his feet, breathing deep, hyping up, bros cheering him on.

And he bends his knees and squats down all of...4 inches. Less than 1/4 squat.   :chargrined:

Mayhaps he is doing rack walk outs? They're useful for training stabilizing muscles and for readying your mind/CNS for the fact that you'll be squatting something this heavy at some point. 

Either way, put 4 wheels on a bar bell and walk out with it. It's not exactly easy. 

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

^^^ I shudder to think about what would be written about my workouts were I to do them in a regular gym. ^^^

Hahaha I hear ya on that one, I have people from my neighborhood looking at me weird when i'm at our park at 7am working out! So I can just imagine what is being said. A guy from my street actually said something the other day that was nice tho, that he was inspired by me and was thinking about starting to workout and wanted some advice.He Also said, when he sees me with my skip rope outside, he sings the rocky song in his head hahaha

But at the end of the day, who cares. Keep staring at me, while you're on the way to Mcdonald's.

• Like 1

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

Well, I have never set foot in a gym in my life, and after reading this thread, I am terrified to do so.

It depends on the gym really. I've lucked out to a pretty nice one where people leave you alone when working out but will actually chat with you when you're not doing anything. Add to it that the staff is really nice and it's 24-hour, makes it one of the better gyms in my area.

Hahaha I hear ya on that one, I have people from my neighborhood looking at me weird when i'm at our park at 7am working out! So I can just imagine what is being said. A guy from my street actually said something the other day that was nice tho, that he was inspired by me and was thinking about starting to workout and wanted some advice.He Also said, when he sees me with my skip rope outside, he sings the rocky song in his head hahaha

But at the end of the day, who cares. Keep staring at me, while you're on the way to Mcdonald's.

I was out running one day and my roommate ended up pulling beside me blasting "Eye of the Tiger", it was pretty awesome.

• Like 1

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."