Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

come on this is NERD fitness... there must be some science/maths (<- spelt fricking right@) whiz kid who can deduce wether that equation is true

Electrical engineering. The one on the left is a transistor. The one on the right is a pair of opamps in a non oscillating arrangement. Been too long for me to do the math. Bigm should be fresh on that.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk 4

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Haha, as an EE it's true. :)

Its actually really clever.

(for everyone without an EE background)

A transistor's output (the top line) varies as the resistance (the squiggly line at the bottom) is changed.  It pulls power from the line on the left.  More resistance, more power output, more gainz.  Cool

The opamp circuit is an amplifier or booster.  The input comes in on the left and how much amplification (or gain) you get is controlled by the various resistances (R2, R3, R4).  It takes 2 opamps to keep them from oscillating (the feedback sound you get when a mike is too close to a speaker).   Hence the knobs/sliders on amplifiers, or really any audio device are modifying the resistance to change the gain (amplication/loudness).  I'm using audio since everyone can get that.  It also works with non-audio electrical signals as well.

Pretty cool.

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

"Can you give me a 4 week program so I can get more muscle.  But not too much because I don't want to get too bulky"

- new starter at the gym.  I *wish* it were that easy and quick...

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

my immediate mental response

"bitch you can't be bothered to come to the gym more than 1 or 2 times a week and then be convinced to give up your latte... trust me- you don't have the will power to put forth the effort and dedication it takes to get 'bulky'"

I just smile and nod mmhmmm 'do you think I look exceptionally bulky???  and then say it's physically impossible" and then move on.

"Can you give me a 4 week program so I can get more muscle.  But not too much because I don't want to get too bulky"

- new starter at the gym.  I *wish* it were that easy and quick...

Oh, if only it were that easy and quick!  I'd be stacked by now!

At least you can assure this person that they'll never get "too bulky" in four weeks...

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

There's 2 curl bros (they were actually working legs, so maybe not true curl bros, but you get the picture) were at the calf raise machine behind me and I was resting between sets on the bench press.  I hadn't really paid much attention to their conversation up until one of them, in a ridiculous Jamaican accent, says to the other "sing Aerial, sing!" and they proceeded to sing a portion of "Under da Sea". 

I kid you not.

Thank God I wasn't benching as I would have dropped the bar on myself so hard and died laughing.  Not sure if this is a new kind of encouragement, but it's better than the usual name calling and general shouting/grunts.  Maybe next time I see them I should start requesting Disney songs?

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

Gosh, Kuiken! :DD Could we have a Disney film with super bulky bodybuilders or something?

Usually what I hear at the gym are new starters who ask me how to train. I can't really give them a full, balanced instruction right there and then, so they usually end up loitering around me while I do my thing. My absolute favourite person was a girl I met this autumn.

Girl: What can you do here?
Me: Well, that's a lot to explain. Maybe you could come here next Tuesday? There's an instruction hour for everyone interested. It's for free.

Girl: Yeah, but... isn't that for newbies?

Me: Um, yeah. I think you should definitely go there.

Girl: Well, I don't think I have the time for that. So... Yeah.

Me: *inner screaming*

• Like 1

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

There's 2 curl bros (they were actually working legs, so maybe not true curl bros, but you get the picture) were at the calf raise machine behind me and I was resting between sets on the bench press.  I hadn't really paid much attention to their conversation up until one of them, in a ridiculous Jamaican accent, says to the other "sing Aerial, sing!" and they proceeded to sing a portion of "Under da Sea". 

I kid you not.

Thank God I wasn't benching as I would have dropped the bar on myself so hard and died laughing.  Not sure if this is a new kind of encouragement, but it's better than the usual name calling and general shouting/grunts.  Maybe next time I see them I should start requesting Disney songs?

Yes. This is amazing.  Brightened up my day.

...I wonder what would happen if you *did* start requesting songs ;P

• Like 1

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

This past Thanksgiving I had a lady in the gym of the hotel I was staying at ask me if I was with the football team (There was a D-1 football team that had arrived there staying for the Saturday game).  That's the first time I've ever gotten THAT one.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

It could be the start of a great friendship.

or even a whole new world.

• Like 6

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

You have no idea how sad I am that I won't be able to be back at the gym at the same time to see if I can catch them again. 

Yes. This is amazing.  Brightened up my day.

...I wonder what would happen if you *did* start requesting songs ;P

Only if we can work in a dance routine as well!  Got to do something during those rest breaks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

This past Thanksgiving I had a lady in the gym of the hotel I was staying at ask me if I was with the football team (There was a D-1 football team that had arrived there staying for the Saturday game).  That's the first time I've ever gotten THAT one.

That's awesome. I had a trick or treater tell me I looked like an offensive lineman (due to my beard).

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

This morning

"Man, don't lift heavy deadlifts, you'll break yourself"

I just looked at him and said "I'm good, thanks"

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173