Hi, I'm Dylan.

I'm going to break this down into sections, just for organizations sake.

*Warning: Rather Long Post, I have a bad habit of being verbose*

About Me (The Basics):

I'm a university student in my early twenties, and a man of rather eclectic tastes. I'm not exactly a nerd, but not exactly anything else either; I dabble in a bit of everything without really falling into a specific category or social scene.

Why I'm here (My Problems):

I'll start with the fact that I stumbled onto this site last weekend, and something clicked in my head. I eventually e-mailed Steve, and his response was to show me that day's blog post: "Getting Back On Track When Life Sucks", as well as to invite me to join the community. I guess I finally have, almost a week later... Which brings me to point 1: I procrastinate. A Lot.

As a student with a part time job, I have quite a bit of time on my hands. But with the loss of a regular routine (my team doesn't play over the summer, which means that my regular fitness habit is gone) and a complete lack of social life, which I'm working on fixing by dabbling in the local nerd culture and spending time with another university club I'm active in, have left me with no motivation or energy.

I don't like where I'm at in life, and I want to change as much a possible. But I'm not sure I can, which scares me. But I think with some support I can do it, which is why I'm here.

What I want to change:

Fitness is one component that I need to work on, as I'm in a sport that I love and want to do the best I can in. The fact that the typical equipment consists of a speedo (I swim/play water polo) is a major motivating factor as well. I want to be a good player, but I want to look the part as well.

I need to work on building a support network, as at the moment my social life consists of people I see in one context (work, certain social events), and otherwise I don't have any close friendships. So not having a social life does cause me some trouble. *P.S: I don't have facebook, which has benefits and consequences*

At the heart of it all, I feel that I have very little confidence in myself and somewhat of a low self-esteem, which contributes to and is influenced by my current issues. A bit of a vicious cycle really.

My goals:

I want to get into shape, which to me means:

-Not dying every time I run/sprint (I blame my lungs)

-Having a better endurance in and out of the pool

-Having some degree of muscle strength (mostly upper body)

*For vanity's sake, that also means looking good in a speedo

*Another vanity motive is a tattoo I want to get on my side

I want to be more comfortable in my own skin

I want to build a support network and a social network

Sorry for the rant. That's it for now.

Wish me Luck.

It's like, that people … well, that everybody has a secret world inside of them. I mean everybody. All of the people in the whole world — no matter how dull and boring they are on the outside. Inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds … not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe. (The Sandman - A Game of You)

I've looked around, and it seems that the current 6 week challenge is already more than half done.

I can wait a couple of weeks to start one, but until then I'm just going to do my own personal challenge instead to get myself ready

I'm going to focus on keeping committed during the next couple of weeks, just to make sure I can stick to something as big as a six week challenge.

It'll also make it easier for me to adapt the workouts and the schedule I'm hoping to maintain, so that it isn't unrealistic.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. It's great motivation.

Have you done a six week challenge yourself? If so, how did it go?

It's like, that people … well, that everybody has a secret world inside of them. I mean everybody. All of the people in the whole world — no matter how dull and boring they are on the outside. Inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds … not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe. (The Sandman - A Game of You)

Hi, MementoMori! Off topic for a second: is your username based on the song by Kamelot from the Black Halo album?

As for being able to change, I would tell you that yes you can. Check out the Success Stories tab on Steve's blog for inspiration and motivation.

Some other thoughts: food/diet is a big deal, like 80% of what you do. Exercise is the other 20%. Make sure that you're eating well (many people on the forums like the Paleo diet) so that you're not sabotaging your workouts. As for muscle strength, you can try the beginner body weight workout as a starting point. I do that one mixed with parts of the playground workout, namely the negatives and inverted body rows because I want more upper body strength, I can't do a pull-up yet, and I don't have equipment at home. You'll get more confidence too as you see yourself getting stronger and healthier. Good luck on your journey! :encouragement:

P.S. I don't have a facebook either, it's cool.

Current inspiration for my journey: Prov. 14:23

All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

Hi D_chelyst.

I've never actually heard of that song (about to look it up).

The phrase itself has been around for quite some time, and can be interpreted as a bit of a darker "carpe diem".

To be honest, I chose that username because it's going to be a part of the tattoo I mentioned in my first post.

As for fitness, my plan so far is to swim three times a week, run three times a week, strength train twice and do yoga as well.

The only overlap other than one day where I'm both running and swimming will be doing yoga post-workout.

At the moment diet is mostly going to involve cutting out sweets (I have a mouth full of sweet teeth) and using a few cookbooks' worth of recipes.

I'm not ready for Paleo yet because I love dairy and bread, although it may come in the more distant future.

Thanks for the insight, it's much appreciated, as are off-topic moments. I do those a lot.

Status Update:

I've started running and going to the gym, tomorrow I'll be starting to swim as well.

I'm planning on doing full body weight training two days a week, running two days a week and swimming two days a week (with yoga each of those days as well), along with a run and a swim together on the last day.

My only question is (advice and opinions are welcome as always):

Is this too much? should I give myself a rest day? Do you think I'm going to run myself ragged if I keep this up?

*yes I know that was three questions, but I like to think of it as asking the same question three different ways*

Thanks

-MM

MM: First of all, welcome! As for whether or not you are doing to much, I think the biggest question you have to ask yourself is if it is sustainable in the long term. Seeing as how you are a student, you may want to limit you exercises to what you think that you can reasonably accomplish around your schedile. That said, if this routine works for you in that context, go for it!

PS: Tempus Fugit...

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

I definitely feel that the start of the school year will be quite a transition period for me, but if I can sustain this until then I'll make the necessary adjustments.

I'll be swimming four nights a week once the water polo season starts up in September, so I feel that it's going to be maintaining the strength training that may give me some trouble.

We'll see what happens, it'll definitely be a big part of the latter part of my first/upcoming six week challenge.

Hey there! I totally get you on the will-I-have-time-for-this front - I have an extended summer now, but I'm starting a PhD program in the fall. I'm planning on doing katana classes twice a week, as well as running and strength training - I'll keep you updated on my transition if you keep me updated on yours!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

Hey MM,

Welcome to the community :D One of the reasons I also joined was because I needed a support group to not only keep me motivated but accountable as well. Not only do you get that here, but you get it from a community full of like-minded people :)

I don't like where I'm at in life, and I want to change as much a possible. But I'm not sure I can, which scares me. But I think with some support I can do it, which is why I'm here.
At the heart of it all, I feel that I have very little confidence in myself and somewhat of a low self-esteem, which contributes to and is influenced by my current issues. A bit of a vicious cycle really.

I can relate so well to both of these statements, but one thing I have learnt is that if you get your body healthy and fit, your mind follows suit. I think you should focus on just getting healthy and fit first and not pack your plate too full. I agree with D_chelyst though, diet is the most important - especially if you want to look good. I too suggest having a look at the paleo diet and strength training. Don't think you can't change the situation you are in, the mind is a very VERY powerful thing. If you truly decide to change your situation, you can do it :)

I can wait a couple of weeks to start one, but until then I'm just going to do my own personal challenge

That's exactly what I'm doing too, you can find the link to my challenge in my signature. It's going very well, I check back here daily to keep myself motivated.

Good luck with your challenge MM!

Human Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

6 Week Challenge

"I'm not gonna build a wall, I'm gonna lay this brick as perfectly as it can be laid - you do that every day and soon you have a wall." -Will Smith

Hey there! I totally get you on the will-I-have-time-for-this front - I have an extended summer now, but I'm starting a PhD program in the fall. I'm planning on doing katana classes twice a week, as well as running and strength training - I'll keep you updated on my transition if you keep me updated on yours!

It's a deal!

Look good in a speedo, eh? Haha! A tough goal indeed. Do your best!

Yes I am aware that this is a tough goal. To be honest I was going to get my coach to order me some for october-ish, but with my only starting now. I may either delay it or order some in a smaller size to motivate me. Who knows, I may eventually reach that goal and have NF to thank for it. *Maybe I'll even post that as my "After Picture"