Be strong, get strong battle log

Still got the headache, which refuses to go.  But have just had a nice chat in the gym with my trainer (not a paid-for session, he just saw me and stopped to chat).  It distracted me for over half of my workout on the rower, which meant I went a bit slower than I'd intended but I'm pleased with the pace given I was sustaining a conversation.  And it got me out of my own head a bit, which was needed.

WEDNESDAY, 28 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

7,500m row -- 38:50

THURSDAY, 29 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

About 30 minutes of restorative yoga, focusing on stuff designed for headaches.

Then, later:

Warm up: foam rolling, mobility, 20/20 1 handed swings, 15/15 presses with 8kg, 10kg, 12kg (push presses)

A. KB jerks

3 x 3 minutes on, 2 minutes off with 16kg

--> 15/15

--> 18/15

--> 15/15

B. KB snatches

2 x 4 minutes on, 2 minutes off with 12kg

--> 36/36

--> 30/30

C. 3 rounds of: (a) top of dip hold (for time partner was doing the farmers walk); (b) farmers walk 2 x 24kg approx. 50 steps

NOTES:

• Jerks felt good.  Surprising how 15 per 1.5 minutes per hand felt kind of slow but when I tried to bump it up to 18 (i.e. 1 extra rep per 30 seconds) it felt unsustainable and I had to drop back down to the slower pace.
  • Best ever on the 12kg snatches, albeit only just over where I was two months ago when they fell apart.  Still working on the drop, waiting for my arm to make contact with my hip before pulling my hips back.  Kind of making progress on the technique - right elbow didn't hurt at all, left elbow and hands only slightly.

On other stuff, headache now gone, to be replaced by a sore throat.  Grrr.  I blame the man sniffling on the train earlier this week.  I've just had some effervescent vitamin C and nasal spray, and hoping I can fight it a bit before the weekend.  Headache/cold this week have messed up my eating big time, which is annoying.  Back on it today rather than giving up - had a good breakfast, have a good lunch packed with me, and a good dinner is pre-cooked and awaiting me at home for this evening.

I've been AWOL but weekend trip to Paris (including a very late return on Sunday night thanks to train delays) so no workouts to report.  I did an hour of restorative yoga yesterday, though.  Back on normal track for the rest of this week, and will be able to play catch-up this coming weekend too, as I've got no plans.

TUESDAY, 4 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Warm up: front squats 2 x 5 with 20kg, 5 with 30kg (wanted to grab the squat rack so didn't warm up other than this...)

A. Front squats

As many 5 rep sets as possible in 5 minutes: 3 x 5 with 40kg

B. Military press

5 with 20kg, 5 x 3 with 25kg

C. TRX inverted rows / push ups

As many 5 rep sets as possible in 5 minutes: 5 x 5 of both

D. Pull ups

3 rounds of 10 reps with 28.5kg assistance (2nd and 3rd sets split up - was so weak!)

E. 4 rounds of: (a) 20 seconds farmers walk with 2 x 24kg KB; (b) 20 seconds/20 seconds waiters walk with 16kg KB

Headache has come back with a vengeance - argh!

• Like 1

WEDNESDAY, 5 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Warm up: general mobility, stretching, 20 1 handed swings and 10 strict presses each side with 8kg KB

A. KB snatches

with 8kg: 10R/10L/10R/10L/10R/10L

with 12kg: 10R/10L then max reps: 33R/24L

B. 2 rounds of:

- 1 length dragon walk

- 1 length backwards bear crawl

- 2 lengths sideways monkey walk (one side then back the other)

- 10 total few seconds hang, few seconds active hang

- 4 total each side hanging from one arm then the other

- 2 German hangs

Assisted stretching

NOTES:

• A rubbish at everything day!  THE END.

4 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Today was rubbish in terms of work but good in terms of training.  I should try running late to KB training and having next to no warm up more often.

1 hour restorative yoga 

Then, later:

A. Jerks, 5 minute set, 5 minute rest, 5 minute set with 16kg

--> 25R/22L

--> 22R/20L

B. Snatches, 6 minute set with 12kg

--> 43R/45L

Isn't it funny how some days are like that? You're all rushed and yet somehow the workout is still awesome. Impressive numbers

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Friday, 7 October

1 hour yin yoga

Saturday, 8 October

1 hour restorative yoga

Sunday, 9 October

Warm up: mobility, swings etc

60 KB snatches with 8kg, one hand switch

50 KB snatches with 10kg, one hand switch

40 KB snatches with 12kg, one hand switch

30 KB snatches with 14kg, one hand switch

20 KB snatches with 16kg, one hand switch,

7 KB snatches with 18kg, one hand switch (dropped it earlier than planned on the left)

3 minute rest between each set

Some messing about with longcycle, 12kg, 16kg and 18kg

Head still killing me but have a massage booked for tomorrow evening to try to sort out the crunchiness in my neck and shoulders.

• Like 3

WEDNESDAY, 12 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Personal training session

Warm up: 2 x fish game on the rower (on my own), mobility, etc, 10/10 1 handed swings, push presses, snatches with 8kg

A. KB snatches

Lots, in sets of 10/10, working with 8kg and 12kg, concentrating on technique

B. Complex of KB thrusters, overhead lunges, max length overhead holds, high pulls, with 12kg.

Reps of 10 for the first round and 8 for the second round (left side was struggling for strength).

Assisted stretching.

NOTES:

• Snatches are a pain! 
  • To work on: catching earlier on the way down and guiding the KB down, rather than letting it yank me; swinging fully at the back; not letting hips go back too early; guiding hips back more slowly when they do move - all so as to use the momentum rather than losing it and having to pull it up from almost a dead stop.
  • Apparently high pulls will help but I don't like them.
  • Like 3

THURSDAY, 13 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

1 hour restorative yoga

Then, later:

Warm up: about half an hour of mobility, 1 handed swings, presses, push presses, etc, with 8kg, 10kg and 12kg

A. KB jerks

10 minute set with 12kg, 1 hand change

50/50

B. KB snatches

10 minute set with 12kg, 1 hand change

This was the plan.  In reality: 32R/32L/16R/16L/16R/16L - 1 minute break - 17R/17L/9R/9L

Stretching

NOTES:

• Bit cross with myself that I tried doing maths whilst working out, which is never a good idea, and did a slower pace on the jerks than I'd intended.  Still, my first ever 10 minute set with 1 hand change.
  • Snatches were terrible again.  Suggestion is that the fact I don't (can't) lower with control is causing most of my issues with them.  Not easily fixed.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

• Bit cross with myself that I tried doing maths whilst working out, which is never a good idea, and did a slower pace on the jerks than I'd intended.  Still, my first ever 10 minute set with 1 hand change.

I do this all the time. Fifty percent of the time it helps the time pass, seventy percent of the time I screw it up.

The above math was done while working out. :)

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

On 10/14/2016 at 2:18 PM, The Most Loathed said:

I do this all the time. Fifty percent of the time it helps the time pass, seventy percent of the time I screw it up.

The above math was done while working out. :)

Ha, yeah, I use maths to make the time pass too, though on this occasion it had led me to conclude that doing a rep every 6 seconds equalled 12 RPM.  Oops.

Anyway, bit of an absence as I've been on holiday.  Not much done in the way of formal workouts, but lots of walking (and R&Ring) done.  Need to psyche myself up to do some KB stuff today.  Kind of tired though after a shopping trip to buy a new duvet and pillows and order a new mattress - husband lost his phone, had to go back and try to find it, town was busy, generally a bit harassed trying to fit everything in before work again tomorrow.

FRIDAY, 14 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

1 hour yin yoga

SATURDAY, 15 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

30 minute swim

SUNDAY, 16 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Warm up: mobility, 3 rounds of 3/3 TGUs with 8kg 1st round, 12kg 2nd and 3rd rounds

Workout: 2 rounds of:

- 10/10 single leg deadlifts with 1 x 12kg KB

- 5/5 rear foot elevated split squats with 1 x 12kg KB

- 10 push ups

- 10/10 3 point rows with 1 x 12kg KB

- 30 seconds plank/side plank/side plank

Later: 30 minute swim

MONDAY, 17 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Off (some light walking)

TUESDAY, 18 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

30 minute swim (am)

30 minute swim (pm)

WEDNESDAY, 19 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Hike of 6.5 miles (plus other light walking) - 3 hours 45 minutes total for hike (involved quite a bit of stopping to take photos)

THURSDAY, 20 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Hike of 5.5 miles (plus other light walking) - 3 hours 15 minutes total for hike (again lots of stop-starting)

FRIDAY, 21 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Hike of 2.5 miles (plus other light walking) - 2 hours (stop/start)

SATURDAY, 22 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Off (travelling)

SUNDAY, 23 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Whole load of KB snatch practice with 8kg and 10kg.

Supposed to do a 6 minute set with 12kg (one hand change) but only managed 2.5 minutes on the right and 1.5 minutes on the left.  I was annoyed with myself at the time but have now accepted that that's just where I am at the moment.

MONDAY, 24 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Really random workout, consisting of:

A. 5 rounds of: (a) 3 seconds active hang; (b) 3 seconds hang.

B. 5 rounds of German hangs (approx. 5 seconds).

C. 5 rounds of skin the cats.

D. 5 rounds of top of the dip holds (approx. 10 seconds).

E. Barbell push press: 5 with 20kg, 5 with 23kg, 3 x 3 with 25kg.

F. KB snatch set, 6 minutes with 8kg.  51R/56L.  Felt much better.  Found my level (weight).

G. 10 x 10 seconds on, 50 seconds slower, on rowing machine.  I forget the total distance covered, but it wasn't really about that.

TUESDAY, 25 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

PT session focusing on (some of) my weaknesses...

A. KB swings

20 with 16kg, 2 x 10 with 24kg, 2 x 10 with 28kg, 10 with 32kg (PB!)

B. 2 rounds of: (a) 10 of each and each side of KB cleans, thrusters and overhead lunges with 12kg; (b) 5/5 renegade rows with 12kg; (c) 10 scapula push ups

C. 2 rounds of: (a) 10/10 TRX assisted pistol squats; (b) 30 seconds mountain climbers; (c) 10/10 TRX assisted curtsy squats; (d) 5 hangs/scapula pull ups

WEDNESDAY, 26 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

40 minutes yin yoga

THURSDAY, 27 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

1 hour restorative yoga

Then, later:

Warm up: mobility, KB swings, presses, snatches

A. KB snatch 7 minute set (single hand switch) with 8kg

--> 64R/68L

B. KB jerks

2 x 10/10 with 12kg

1 x 5/5 with 16kg

1 x 15/15 with 16kg

C. (Easy) rowing for 20 minutes

--> 3,700m covered

Best KB snatch set ever in terms of time, even if I am only using the 8kg.  Need to work my way up to a 10 minute set and then try again with a heavier KB, with the aim of building up to longer sets with the 12kg.

SATURDAY, 29 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Off.  Did do loads of meal prep, though.

SUNDAY, 30 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Warm up: mobility, loads of swings, presses, snatches with 8kg KB

A. 8 minute KB snatch set with 8kg

--> 72R/81L

B. 7 minute KB jerk set with 8kg

--> 63R/62L

NOTES:

• Pleased with the volume here, and also the fact that the sets felt pretty good.  Left arm noticeably weaker, making the jerks feel hard towards the end.  Otherwise, definitely felt there was more in the tank to increase the lengths of these sets.

MONDAY, 31 OCTOBER - WORKOUT

Another really random workout.  This is what happens when you go into the gym with no plan.  And then get faced with people telling you to get out of the way (for a class that was going to happen on the gym floor) and other people who are just taking up loads of space (doing exercises really badly but with a lot of self-belief).  I was also in a foul mood, which didn't help.

Warm up: mobility, 2 x 3/3 TGUs with 8kg then 12kg

A. 5 Skin the cats

B. 5 German hangs for around 9 seconds each

C. 5 Hangs/active hangs for 3 seconds each

D. 20 minute easy row - 3,840m

E. KB snatches 2 x 10/10 with 8kg, 10kg, 12kg