Forums are back in action! ×

Fire Evacuation Plans?

Oogiem

If the front door is not an option, I figure I'll run screaming to my balcony, where I will then bush dive into my downstair neighbor's shrubbery. Its a small apartment... not a lot of options. Haha

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pixie Druid: Currently on first challenge!

STR - 2 CON - 2.5

DEX - 4 WIS - 2.5

STA - 1.5 CHA - 2.5

I live in a trailor...they go up like a dried Christmas tree. Our plan is "Get the F**K Out" in this order:

1) Boys (4yr & 18mths)

2) Dog & Cat

3) Wife

4) Guns(The irreplaceable ones like my Grandfathers 1911 from WWII & Shotgun the rest are kinda replaceable)

5) I'm bringing out the guns so I'm 5

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

If there is fire even near your area pack up and go. Look what happened with Colorado Springs. Be prepared to bugout on a moments notice. Also board up your windows, it could be the difference between your house getting burned up or not.

Semper Gumby-Always FlexiblePain is weakness leaving the body.FITOCRACY

Here's the state of things now, our house is metal roof and cement board siding. We have 1 tree close to the house, an old apple tree, Deck is trex so less burnable. We've cleared the juniper trees but are considering clearing a bunch more. There is no way we could evacuate the flock of sheep so a plan to protect them in place is necessary. We're thinking put the ewes all in the innermost pasture, turn all the irrigation water onto that pasture. Put all rams in the upper pasture with no trees nearby. Leave at least 2 dogs per group of sheep. Move all tractors to the center of the largest empty field. We have 4 ponds on our place. In fire years past one of our ponds was used by the helicopters to get water to fight it and I'd expect that again. We'd probably try to shelter in place as we are more defensible than any of the houses near CO Springs in terms of already have cleared space and have water nearby. Plus in our area many times the suggestion is to stay put if your house is fire resistant as the roads are narrow and evacuation can clog them leading to no way for the firefighters to get in to fight the fire. Still working out how to deal with stuff if we were asked to evacuate.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Yeah, you have a lot of stuff to save. For me, the steps would be:

1- Find window

2- Open window

3- Throw wife through window

4- Throw self through window

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

To soften the landing?

:P

Didn't consider that... Hopefully she'd move. We'll have to practice some parkour rolls or something.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

My house doesnt have high ceilings and my room is only 1 floor up so if I couldn't get down the stairs and out the front door, I would hang drop from the window which would only be about 3 feet. Might twist an ankle but its better than getting burnt alive! Also my bedroom over looks the lawn so if there was stuff I had to save and there was time I'd chuck it onto the lawn where it would have a softer landing. I cant really think of anything in my house that I would be devastated if I lost them to fire except my teddy bear (I'm 27 *blush*) and old photos but they are all down stairs near the front door so if I couldnt get out that way they would be destroyed anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

I cant really think of anything in my house that I would be devastated if I lost them to fire except my teddy bear (I'm 27 *blush*) .

Nothing wrong with that :)

I've been on lots of firestation visits and had talks about making such a plan but never really have. Then again we don't exactly get the same kind of wild fires over here, it hardly ever stops raining long enough!

Level 2 Ranger
Aspiring to awesomeness

7th floor in a condo. 1 door in and out. Due to jumping and certain death, balcony is out of the question. If door is good, run as fast as hell down the 7 flights of stairs. If door is not an option, run out to balcony and scream like a little girl until I realize I could possibly climb down from one balcony to the next.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Oogiem: How close to Colorado Springs and the fire are you? I'm hope you and your farms stays safe.

As far as our plans, well we live in the Seattle area, where moss is growing on everyone's toes from all the rain, so chances of a widespread fire are relatively nil.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Fire Evacuation plans? Simple.. Open window if I can not get out by front door... and Shout "HEY YOU GUYS!" First floor bedroom... right next door to the fire department. I look out my window (it wont let me post a picture) and see the fire station. They could literally open up their garage doors and not bother pulling the trucks out of the garage before they shoot water at our house with their Large Diameter Hose. (they have before XD) Fun times.

DoodleDwarven Adventurer Level 2= STR-3 | DEX-2 | STA-2 | CON-3 | WIS-2 (+1) | CHA-2 (+1)

When Life pushes Me.. I Push Back Harder

Current Challenge: Doodle's finds her spirit again. (Level 2) | First challenge: Level 1: finding the canvas

Leader of The Mighty Adventuring CompanionsMyFitnessPal | fitocracy

Oogiem - I am assuming the closest fire to you is the Pine Ridge Fire. Have they sent out any pre-evacuation notices yet? I know you want to try and stay and protect your animals but it might also be good to prepare if you and your family have to leave. Have a box/boxes packed with all of your important items and be ready to go at a moments notice

Hopefully we get some rain soon. Best of luck!

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit""If you think you can or you can't, you're right!"

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit""If you think you can or you can't, you're right!"

Oogiem: How close to Colorado Springs and the fire are you?

We are a long way away from the current fires. They are on the eastern slope we are over the mountains on the other side. The closest to us is the fire in the Bookcliffs near Grand Junction.

But in years past there have been major fires in our area. The July Wake fire in 1994 was a big fire that threatened our mesa. My mother drove around the road blocks, went onto our mesa and turned irrigation water away from all the places it was and onto the far west side of the mesa towards the fire. She ended up in water court for that because even though she was the ditch rider it's illegal to change boxes, but the soaking saved the mesa because the blowing embers did not start any fires. We are drier already this year than we were in 1994. We have a steep juniper/sagebrush hillside on the front of our farm.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

Oogiem - I am assuming the closest fire to you is the Pine Ridge Fire. Have they sent out any pre-evacuation notices yet?

Yes but it's about 80-100 miles away.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

Um. To all the people who said, "we don't get wildfires here," you do realize that house fires can happen in soggy regions, right? You have plans for getting out of the building, even if it's only one building on fire, right? Okay, good.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Our plan if the fire is inside = find door/window open/break door/window, go though door/window, go to evacuation point(s), which is what we call the white gates or the dam (two different points but we can see if anyone is at the other).

If the fire is outside = Get anything that is important if you are able, ie dog, laptops, the scapebooks mum has done, birth certificates, stuff like that, get the F out of there and head somewhere safe and where you can find out more, such as where you should go, like the fire station.

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

I'm in a small, 2nd-story apartment. If there's enough time, we grab the box with the important papers and make a beeline for the stairs. If not, then my husband lowers me out the window, and then he goes. In the unlikely event that we would get separated, we'd meet in the parking lot by our car.

If we had to evacuate, we'd grab the laptops, my purse, important papers, and the "ready" bag that we put together just today. We have a spare change of clothes for each of us (including underwear!), a flashlight, and essential toiletries in the ready bag.

Ah, preparedness. There's a fire extinguisher in the hall 10 feet straight across from our apartment's door; which, considering that it's a small space, and the kitchen is the room closest to the door anyway, we'd be hard-pressed to get it any closer. The smoke alarms in our building work quite well--we know that because they're triggered about twice a month by our neighbors' smoking. (sigh) We do know to go low. That one was drilled into me as a child, along with "stop, drop, and roll."

Here's a tip I think is worth mentioning: if you have a grease fire, DO NOT TRY TO EXTINGUISH IT WITH WATER. Maybe that seems like a gimmie, but I know a lot of people who have no idea. I also know of one friend of a friend who critically burned herself by grabbing the handle of a pot with burning oil in it and trying to take it to the sink. She ended up spilling a large amount of the burning oil on her legs and feet.

Assuming a fire extinguisher isn't handy, there are two ways to quickly put out a grease fire. Assuming it's in a pan, one way is to put a lid on the pan. Another way is to throw baking soda on it. (Not flour or sugar, by the way. Both of those are very combustible.)

Just throwing that one out there.

Archived