Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

Between audio, iPad, and actual books, I generally have at least 3 books going...

Just finished The End of Overeating by David Kessler, MD (former FDA Chairman) - interesting ideas about how the only way food will change in the US is if the populace demands it. Hmm, I don't see that happening any time soon which in turn makes me feel a little hopeless for change.

Close to finishing up The Jakarta Pandemic by Steven Konkoly - pretty good flu pandemic disaster story but it's making it difficult to be in public places at the moment - every sneeze and cough makes me cringe, and I keep wanting to squirrel away food in the basement!

Just started Suicide by Sugar - I think it will be mediocre at best based on reviews, but the topic interests me and it was cheap for Kindle.

And my current browse by the bed book is Tim Noakes "The Lore of Running" - always an interesting tidbit!

M2M

- Do something everyday!

First challenge: Avoiding the Demons of Autumn

I'm currently reading 'The Traitor Queen' by Trudi Canavan... Last in a series I've been reading (waiting for ridiculous amounts of time in-between, not because the next book wasn't released yet but because it simply doesn't grip me like it used to do). Mostly reading it because it's a familiar world, written by one of my once favourite authors. Nice to read, but mostly a 'I should really just finish this series by now...' thing. :)

level 10 wood elf assassin

Intro1st challenge | .... | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | Current @ warriors

Yay reading!  

Just finished A Dance With Dragons and now I have no idea what to do with my life.

Heh.  Maybe try Patrick Rothfuss' series The Kingkiller Chronicle?  Full disclosure, though, he hasn't finished writing them and could still pull a Robert Jordan or a George R.R. Martin on us.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. I"m on Blood Rites now , His Codex of Alera series is really good as well

I have really enjoyed Jim Butcher's stuff!  Do you have anything else like that to recommend?

Right now I have Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges, Exuberance by Kay Redfield Jamison, and some reference books on my list, on my nightstand, or in my purse.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Attributed to Ian Maclaren.

"I must be cruel only to be kind;

Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind." William Shakespeare, Hamlet.

Support me over at my first challenge!

The Shining. Go Stephen King!

When I was a kid, the movie wrecked my sleep and my showers (bathroom scene left me unwilling to have my back to the shower curtain) for an entire summer! Read the book as an adult a good 15 years later, still scary, but I'm happy to report it didn't terrorize me as the movie did. Mostly, that is not a genre for me...

Just started Sugar Nation, by Jeff O'Connell, still listening to Fat Chance so it's all anti-sugar all the time.

M2M

- Do something everyday!

First challenge: Avoiding the Demons of Autumn

Currently reading: 

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting by Syd Field

That last one is a required text for school, but it is REALLY good. 

And The Night Circus is probably my new favorite book. It's a really fantastic read that I would describe as "luxurious" and "decadent"; literally, it's like dark chocolate and a bubble bath in a book full of magic and love and circuses. WHAT ELSE MATTERS IN THIS WORLD?

Neil Gaiman.

That is all.

Fail is a four letter fallacy.

Currently reading:

Jane Eyre! (like it so far)

Next:

Brave New World (wanted to read it for a long time now)

And The Night Circus is probably my new favorite book. It's a really fantastic read that I would describe as "luxurious" and "decadent"; literally, it's like dark chocolate and a bubble bath in a book full of magic and love and circuses. WHAT ELSE MATTERS IN THIS WORLD?

Neil Gaiman.

That is all.

Thats one of the books that caught my attention but never made it into my hand. I am going to give it a go!

- A smooth sea never made a skillfull sailor - 

My Battle Log|1st|2nd challenge!

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

Str: 2 | Dex: 1 | Sta: 1 | Con: 1 | Wis: 5 | Cha : 3

From 121 cm waist to 90 cm

29%
29%

I'm just now getting back into a reading mood after years of letting it slip, but a few books that I have never forgotten are:

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck,

Blaze by Stephen King,

Sabriel (first book in The Abhorsen Chronicles) by Garth Nix, and

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (A children's book but a good one; one that will remind you of the "magic" of books.)

And I broke my half-decade long book-fast with:

Polaris by H.P. Lovecraft (a thought altering short story), and

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein (I'm sure I'm pretty late on this but it's definitely a book I wish I had been read as a child and that I will certainly read for my own.)

Level 2 Dwarf Warrior 

STR: 6 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 5 | WIS: 3.5 | CHA: 1

Height: 5'1"  Weight: 210 lbs.
Squat: 155x5x5, 195 1RM
Deadlft: 175x5, 180 1RM
Bench: 95x5x3, 100 1RM

"Now we stand together, Warriors unite;
Vikings forever, Fighting side by side"

-- "Norsemen of Steel" - Wulfgar

Currently reading: 

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting by Syd Field

That last one is a required text for school, but it is REALLY good. 

Neil Gaiman.

That is all.

Glad to see someone who reads Neil Gaiman. Graveyard Book is one of my favourites :) 

I just saw Mr Gaiman last week in book festival, he's so awesome. 

I'll have a look into The Night Circus, sounds interesting.

The Night Circus is wonderful!

The Night Circus +2 :D

And I broke my half-decade long book-fast with:

Polaris by H.P. Lovecraft (a thought altering short story), and

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein (I'm sure I'm pretty late on this but it's definitely a book I wish I had been read as a child and that I will certainly read for my own.)

Tolkiens books; also on my to-read list. I have to admit that I stopped reading lord of the rings because I thought it was *boring*. But I was 13 at that time, I should definitely re-read it!

- A smooth sea never made a skillfull sailor - 

My Battle Log|1st|2nd challenge!

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

Str: 2 | Dex: 1 | Sta: 1 | Con: 1 | Wis: 5 | Cha : 3

From 121 cm waist to 90 cm

29%
29%

Ahhh books. Sweet, wonderful books. One of my long term goals is to pay off enough other debts to afford my dream library remodel. Ceiling high bookshelves and a big cozy chair- now that is motivation :)

Currently reading:

Timescape, Gregory Benford

Currently rereading:

The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Tolkien

I am taking a short break from Robert Jordan. I finished book 7 in the WoT series but Tolkien was calling my name.

"If A is success in life, then A = x + y + z. Work is x, play is y and z is keeping your mouth shut." -Albert Einstein

"So once you know what the question actually is, you'll know what the answer means." -The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hi everyone! I'm casually rereading The Dresden Files' last 5~ books in anticipation for the new book. In addition, I plan on hammering through The Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Book Thief in the near future. Hope y'all are havin' as good a time as I am :D

Yes yes yes!

I really liked Perks of Being a Wallflower.

And The Book Thief is one of the most intense, best books I've ever ready in my life. And I've read tons of them. Books often make me cry, sometimes make me laugh - this one had it all. And the style of writing, whoa! 

I read it in German because it was a gift from my grandma, so I don't know whether it's as good in English, but since I usually only read English books, it's probably even better. I'd love to hear what you think of it!

I read it in two sittings, I think. I only took a break because I had to get some sleep in!

Personally, I'm reading Ender's Game at the moment. I'm not used to the genre so I'm still having a hard time getting into it and not reading very fast - I've been at it for a few days now and I'm not halfway through yet, but it's growing on me.

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

You can never be too late!

I actually got the Audiobook the other day.

I didn't read it when I was a kid, but I read it as a teenager. My brother got the simplified version of it when he was... I don't know, maybe 12? It was one of the first books I read in English (it was too hard for him at that time, but perfect for me) and I've loved it ever since.

Before the movie came out, I re-read the Hobbit, the "adult" version of it, so you're not much later than I was!

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge