Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

That's what makes it such a good goal.

It's what you call a moving target.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

I work in NYC and carry a pocketknife every day.

Stay away from assisted opening knives.  Don't clip your knife to your pocket, if a cop sees it he can hassle you about it, but if it's in your pocket he doesn't know about it.  Be careful about taking it out to use it in public.

Bear in mind that if the cop can flip your knife open, it meets the definition of a gravity knife, which is verboten.  Darn few knives won't pop open if flicked hard enough.  So better he doesn't know you have it.

Knives where the blade locks open meet the legal definition of a switchblade (I have no idea how they made that jump).  Having had a few knives close on my fingers, I prefer a locking knife.  That's all I have to say about THAT.

54f5e9282744b_186091b.jpg

Problem solved.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

54f5e9282744b_186091b.jpg

Problem solved.

I have a hard time figuring out what that knife would be good for, besides looking cool (not a bad thing of course, but I look at knives as tools).

This is my EDC knife:

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Skyline-Knife-Textured-Handle/dp/B001CZBDF8

This is my "dressy" knife:

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Chill-Knife/dp/B00F5FUARS/ref=pd_sim_200_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0K2KTT2QA613KG13Q51B

Nice.

Living and working where I do I carry knives I can dump if I need to, and the kershaws fill that bill.

Not a fan of tantos, but that's a personal preference.

Someday I'm gonna drop the money on a kbar like my dad carried, but...

My round the house or camoing knife.  The new ones are pretty much crap.  I have a nonserratedm high carbon steel one that's 20 years old that is nigh indestructable

hunting-knife.jpg

This is my lightwieght hiker.  It weighs nearluy nothing and if I break it... it's 17 bucks

OA0120__72761.1428869873.1280.1280.jpg?c

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

If I lived somewhere rural, I could see the sense in carrying a knife around. But I live in the suburbs. It would be completely useless most of the time and be more likely to get me in trouble than get me out of it.

Mr Why Not, that is not a knife. That's a miniature bat'leth.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

If I lived somewhere rural, I could see the sense in carrying a knife around. But I live in the suburbs. It would be completely useless most of the time and be more likely to get me in trouble than get me out of it.

Mr Why Not, that is not a knife. That's a miniature bat'leth.

I live in the burbs and work in the city, and I seldom have less than two sharp objects on me, the Kershaws I show above and a mini multi tool in my change pocket. And a full sized multi in my backpack. And another full sized multi in my desk.

I don't view it as a weapon, but as a tool. Cutting open boxes. Cutting string or rope. Cutting whatever needs to be cut.

Indeed, and I have a Stanley knife in my toolbox at home for just that sort of thing.

Yeah, but, but...what if you find a bit of string that needs to be cut in the wild? That's why I carry around a knife in my pocket.  It also comes in handy while at work. I don't have to go looking for something to cut open a box or whatever, I just reach in my pocket.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Yeah, but, but...what if you find a bit of string that needs to be cut in the wild? That's why I carry around a knife in my pocket.  It also comes in handy while at work. I don't have to go looking for something to cut open a box or whatever, I just reach in my pocket.

I seldom come across wild bits of string in suburban Leicestershire. The string around here tends to be fairly tame and is generally found in our rubbish bins... or am I thinking of foxes? If I were going somewhere wilder, I'd certainly consider taking along a variety of useful items (quite possibly including a knife of some description).

The Stanley knife is certainly useful for opening boxes and such, but stays at home where it is needed.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

I seldom come across wild bits of string in suburban Leicestershire. The string around here tends to be fairly tame and is generally found in our rubbish bins... or am I thinking of foxes? If I were going somewhere wilder, I'd certainly consider taking along a variety of useful items (quite possibly including a knife of some description).

The Stanley knife is certainly useful for opening boxes and such, but stays at home where it is needed.

You probably don't even put ice in your tea...

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

128f_spyderco_bug_micro_pocket_knife_set

I don't remember the last time that I needed a bigger knife in an urbane environment, and frankly on most of my hikes too.

I need the swiss knife for an occasional eyeglasses repair, wine bottle or to cut plug tobacco for a pipe, but I mostly leave it at home.

Victorinox-Huntsman-Lg.jpg

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

128f_spyderco_bug_micro_pocket_knife_set

I don't remember the last time that I needed a bigger knife in an urbane environment, and frankly on most of my hikes too.

I need the swiss knife for an occasional eyeglasses repair, wine bottle or to cut plug tobacco for a pipe, but I mostly leave it at home.

Victorinox-Huntsman-Lg.jpg

Agreed wholeheartedly that you hardly ever need a bigger blade than that.  The only problem is that folders with short blades also have tiny handles, and I have big ol' paws.  I choose a knife mostly for the size of the handle, then the blade size is what it is.  Cutting open boxes and stuff is fine with the small handle (and I often use the blade on my mini-tool for that), but if I need to lean on something (say to cut rope when tying something to the roof of the car) I need a little more grip.

Actually, the utility knife (aka boxcutter) is about perfect, and it's what I use at home.  Nice big beefy handle and tiny, extremely sharp blade.  They're a little bulky for pocket carry, and since 9/11 they tend to give people the vapors even more than your basic gentleman's folder like my "dressy" knife above, even though the folder would be much more useful as a weapon.

What I actually prefer to carry:

26SP_m.jpg

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.