Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

Being a small muscle group there are obvious genetic limits in terms of size especially, some people can never get cannon calves or balloon biceps and whatnot, but not working a muscle just because you don't think you can get it big is a little short sighted imo. Personally I think it can help to look at sports where the professionals typically have decent calves (tennis players, dancers, etc).

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

I myself think my calves are about the perfect size for the rest of my legs. They're not massive, but no one is going to joke about me missing leg day. While I didn't lift much, I spent more than enough time running cross country, track and training hikes in the military.

Not working them out because "genetics decide" is just plain stupid... you're willing to work out  everything else but not calves... because genetics.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

The best way to get big calves is to be a fat dude who walks around all day.

I think the biggest calves I'd ever seen was a dude in the military that had an ankle issue and he couldn't fully bend his ankles, so he'd end up walking somewhat on his toes. We used to give him a hard time about buying his calves at Walmart.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

As a skinny calve member, stop being a wimp and work them out, seriously I run x/c, play soccer, skated all day, walk every where and I still have skinny calves, we need to stop judging our bodies on other peoples and just focus on making ourselves better

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

The best way to get big calves is to be a fat dude who walks around all day.

I wouldn't say mine are big, also in the 16" range, but this is how i must have gotten them as i did my first calf exercise last week (calf raises on the leg press machine after leg press if anyone is interested)

Cat - in England calves are less of a big deal as we only have 3 days a year where shorts are wearable :D

• Like 2

Just getting the chance to respond to the great calf debate...

I fall into the "genetically blessed" category when it comes to calves (17" calves at a BW of 180), but I (mildly) agree with the quote 

I seem to see two types of people in the gym when it comes to calves: those who jump on every calf machine they can find at the end of every workout, and those who say (this is an honest to god conversation I heard once) "if you don't have decent calves you shouldn't bother working them, because calf definition is entirely genetic".

IF all you are aiming for and care about are bigger calves...it's probably not gonna happen not matter how many standing and seated calf raises you do.

As for training calves directly, I generally don't at all. But I would make the argument that they are somewhat important...the whole "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" saying. Strong calves are part of a solid foundation for your squat and deadlift and also contribute to leg drive in your bench.

What are your thoughts on calves? Do you wish yours were bigger or are yours good enough or do you just not care? I mean as far as lifting goes I think they're a small muscle group with little carryover into, say, the big 3, so I figure if the compound lifts I do don't hit the calves enough to make them grow then odds are it's because they're not a limiting factor. That being said, I do a lot of jump rope and sprints and so forth currently, and I have introduced a little calf-work into my program as of recently.

Well the compound movements wouldn't really make them grow because like abs the calves need to be hammered and abused to "grow/get stronger".  Also, how do we really know that your big lifts wouldn't be serviced by doing direct calf work? I currently have a 365 squat, who knows if that could be a 370 squat if I actually did calf work.

• Like 1

Has anyone here ever had an issue with their sciatica nerve?

Maybe. I was sidelined for a few weeks in 2013 cause of similar pain. Ended up taking the prescribed muscle relaxers and it cleared up. 

Haha, I originally took the ignore it and keep lifting route. Then the ignore it and hope for the best. Then the I'll go to the doctor, but I don't take meds. I finally broke.

Yea, my gf apologizes when she makes me go to the doctor to get checked out and it ends up being pointless besides the $150 bills. I reassure her, that while I hate going to the doctor and hate paying even more bills, it is the reason why most married men live longer than single ones.

If it was up to me, I'd never go to the doctor unless I had to.

Yea, my gf apologizes when she makes me go to the doctor to get checked out and it ends up being pointless besides the $150 bills. I reassure her, that while I hate going to the doctor and hate paying even more bills, it is the reason why most married men live longer than single ones.

Yup, blood spurting (not just leaking), bones or internal organs visible, fever hot enough to roast a chicken.  I'll think about it.

My wife, for some reason, seems to want to keep me around for a while.  I suspect it's because she's height-challenged so she needs me to reach stuff on the top shelves.

• Like 2

Yup, blood spurting (not just leaking), bones or internal organs visible, fever hot enough to roast a chicken.  I'll think about it.

My wife, for some reason, seems to want to keep me around for a while.  I suspect it's because she's height-challenged so she needs me to reach stuff on the top shelves.

I suspect mine has a vested interest in keeping me around longer until my life insurance pays out better.

It's much the same with me, and here in the UK we don't have the bills (yay universal healthcare!). I won't go to the doctor unless something serious happens, and even then I have a sense of "I don't want to bother them". I suppose if you're paying them anyway you don't get that feeling.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/