Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

What do you think the punishment should be for this sort of thing?

There's always gonna be a discrepancy between what aught to be done and what is practical. I've always been of the opinion that the criminal justice system should focus more on rehabilitation than punishment, seeing as punishment in and of itself has consistently been shown not to deter the majority of crimes.

I saw this Aston Martin thing on Facebook the other day, and I think the logical question to ask is what would the consequence be if the man had keyed a car that was worth 1K instead of 100K, odds are, assuming he was caught, he'd be fined for vandalism. In this case however I have a suspicion that he would not have the money lying around to pay such a fine.

Personally I think the best outcome would be for the man to be put on some sort of community service rehabilitation program, working to pay for the damages and receiving some sort of counselling for his antisocial behaviour. But again, practically speaking if that was done with all vandals it would probably drain a lot of financial resources.

Reading this back, I get the feeling that my being a psychology student really shows here.

• Like 1

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

This guy just got caught by a dash camera in London keying a parked 100K Aston Martin Vantage while he pushes a baby in a pram. Estimated damages 9,000 GBP.

What do you think the punishment should be for this sort of thing?

That's a pretty strange thing to do for no reason. Be interesting to find out why if he's caught.

That's a pretty strange thing to do for no reason. Be interesting to find out why if he's caught.

Cops have caught him so we'll see what happens....

This sort of thing happens a lot in London. 

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

What I feel should happen is a hanging. Anyone willing to do something like this for no reason is fit only to be an organ donor. But then I do have a rather low opinion of humanity in general.

What will actually happen is a lot of bugger all. The case will go to the magistrates courts. This will take a few months, assuming the CPS don't decide it won't get a conviction and drop the case. Then it will be moved up to the crown court (due to the scale of the damage). Then it will be adjourned about six times. At the end of it all he'll get a suspended sentence and a token fine, which will be taken out of his benefits (assuming he's on benefits, and based on his behaviour I find it hard to believe he has a job). Meanwhile, the car owner's insurance will pay out for the damage and take about as long to do so.

Net result - a complete waste of everyone's time, much of which is paid for by the taxpayer, and the felon will doubtless do something equally vindictive and pointless before long anyway. I'm afraid working for the police rather opens your eyes to just how useless it is chasing after petty criminals. A hanging, meanwhile, would be much cheaper and usually prevents reoffending. And the organs would be useful - I could use some new eyeballs.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Ah yes, the disillusionment that comes with knowing how the system "works." It's ruined cop shows for me here in the US. Except for COPS. That's the real deal, except they leave out all the tedious paperwork.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

What I feel should happen is a hanging. Anyone willing to do something like this for no reason is fit only to be an organ donor. But then I do have a rather low opinion of humanity in general.

You cant be serious.

You have no idea who either of these people are, yet because he scratched someones car you think he should die? Low opinions of people or not, that is hella fucked up. He didn't kick someones puppy, or kidnap their child, he scratched their car. Their fucking car. Who gives a shit.

• Like 1

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

You cant be serious.

You have no idea who either of these people are, yet because he scratched someones car you think he should die? Low opinions of people or not, that is hella fucked up. He didn't kick someones puppy, or kidnap their child, he scratched their car. Their fucking car. Who gives a shit.

Agreed. There was just so much to respond to that I said fuck it.

I'm a lazy fuck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Anyone else find the whole "Ronda Rousey is too muscular she looks like a man" thing insteresting?

I find it interesting because of these two personal statistics...

Number of comments I've seen claiming all the people saying she looks like a man are wrong: two million*

Number of comments I've seen claiming she looks like a man: zero

Either I've missed something or it's a case that everybody wants to seem like the progressive minority in a world full of morons so they go to social media and retaliate against something that pretty much doesn't exist.

Ronda Rousey is hot, I'll be the seven billionth person to say it.

*two million figure is an estimate and may be slightly inaccurate

That sounds like the classic internet to me. All it takes is one person to white knight and say that they don't agree with the mean thing someone didn't say, and suddenly everybody else has to rush to defend against the un-said negative comment as well, not to be left out and suspected as being a knob.

5'11'' Male

SW: 251 | CW: 199 | GW: 175

Battle Log: Grifball's Freelancer Training

"I WILL EAT YOUR UNHAPPINESS." - Michael J. Caboose

It's just scared men* saying that because they know that she can kick their ass

So as I was sitting as the Doctors office the other day and one the screen pops up Marcie Fraser (a local fitness expert) to show how to do proper rows with a dumbbell and some of the women started commenting on her arms "Oh my god she has man arms, that makes me not want to do those exercises" and some of the guys were agreeing. Lazy people want people to be lazy so they don't feel bad about themselves

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

You cant be serious.

I had hoped a public hanging would be extreme enough a punishment to indicate I wasn't serious. I clearly need to go more extreme, or possibly more ridiculous - drowned in a vat of tepid vinegar?

But there is something to my seething hatred. I consider vandalism and littering far more deserving of punishment than, say, burglary. Not because of the scale of the offence, but the reasons behind it. Burglars are often desperate (such as drug addicts funding a habit) and, if the underlying cause is addressed, have the possibility of redemption. Those that mess things up for no good reason have no consideration for their environment or their society and will continue to create low-grade misery for the rest of their lives.

• Like 2

I had hoped a public hanging would be extreme enough a punishment to indicate I wasn't serious. I clearly need to go more extreme, or possibly more ridiculous - drowned in a vat of tepid vinegar?

But there is something to my seething hatred. I consider vandalism and littering far more deserving of punishment than, say, burglary. Not because of the scale of the offence, but the reasons behind it. Burglars are often desperate (such as drug addicts funding a habit) and, if the underlying cause is addressed, have the possibility of redemption. Those that mess things up for no good reason have no consideration for their environment or their society and will continue to create low-grade misery for the rest of their lives.

Vandalism like this is a function of envy, it's saying "I don't have nice things, so I'm going to mess up your nice thing, so now neither of us has nice things".  Mind you, it's not a case of "You cut me off in traffic so I'm getting back at you."  It's "Screw you for having something nice."

So yeah, the offender should me made to pay for the damages,plus pay extra to the owner for the inconvenience.  I'd be willing to discuss flogging in addition, as a warning to other prospective vandals.  Capital punishment seems a BIT harsh, at least for the first offense....  Maybe third or fourth....

I recall an experiment where people were given a choice, they could get a sum of money,or they could get a larger sum of money with the caveat that someone they didn't like would get even more.  For instance, you can have $1,000, or you can have $5,000 and someone you don't like will get $10,000.  The vast majority of people took the $1,000, they'd rather do without themselves than have someone they don't like benefit.

• Like 2

I think a good general rule of thumb for this thread is to assume anything off the wall is being said tongue-in-cheek. Let's give each other the benefit of the doubt and remember NF is a friendly place.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I recall an experiment where people were given a choice, they could get a sum of money,or they could get a larger sum of money with the caveat that someone they didn't like would get even more.  For instance, you can have $1,000, or you can have $5,000 and someone you don't like will get $10,000.  The vast majority of people took the $1,000, they'd rather do without themselves than have someone they don't like benefit.

This is why I like psychology, I seem to be an outlier in most of the studies I've read about, and I find that fascinating...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

This is why I like psychology, I seem to be an outlier in most of the studies I've read about, and I find that fascinating...

For the record as a psychology student, one of the big things they make abundantly clear is that everybody believes they are an outlier. Everybody thinks "I wouldn't behave that way" when they read about studies describing people behaving negatively.

• Like 1

Ha! That's amazing. I can see myself being like that. Pretty sure my inner dialog's most used words are "fuck", "you" and "pal" :)

For the record as a psychology student, one of the big things they make abundantly clear is that everybody believes they are an outlier. Everybody thinks "I wouldn't behave that way" when they read about studies describing people behaving negatively.

While I agree with what you said here, I would probably say that part of everyone believing they're an outlier, is that they don't have anything to do with psychology and therefore fall into the trap that they would think they could see, because "They're smarter than that"

Similar to what happened with JCPenney, and their no more sales thing...

Also in the above situation I don't see people who take the 1,000 as behaving negatively, I just don't get why someone would be so petty, that they would hurt themselves to hurt others. To me it simply comes down to what's better for me, and the 5K is better, who cares what anyone else gets.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Also in the above situation I don't see people who take the 1,000 as behaving negatively, I just don't get why someone would be so petty, that they would hurt themselves to hurt others. To me it simply comes down to what's better for me, and the 5K is better, who cares what anyone else gets.

This, my greed would over way helping an enemy.  

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

The Brazen Bull?

So yeah, the offender should me made to pay for the damages,plus pay extra to the owner for the inconvenience.  I'd be willing to discuss flogging in addition, as a warning to other prospective vandals.  Capital punishment seems a BIT harsh, at least for the first offense....  Maybe third or fourth....

I think Artinum is a legit outlier. Werido. Haha

So if you don't think you're an outlier, you're bucking the trend and you ARE an outlier?

• Like 1