Forums are back in action! ×

What's your biggest weight swing?

Last Wednesday I weight 418 lbs, which made me estatic.  I then weighed in on Saturday at 424 lbs.  A little perturbed, but I know it happens.  I ate some really salty stuff the previous couple of days so I'm fairly certain it was all water weight.  It go me thinking though, how much has everyone else swung in these sorts of situations?

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

It's not unusual to see a 5-10 lb swing depending on various factors.  Eat a lot of salt and retaining water?  Dehydrated? Pull a muscle or change up your workout (your body retains water to repair)?  Time of day makes a difference as well.

Try not to weigh once per week.  Same time, same situation - and unless you see that elevated over a couple of weeks - don't sweat it....

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

It's not unusual to see a 5-10 lb swing depending on various factors.  Eat a lot of salt and retaining water?  Dehydrated? Pull a muscle or change up your workout (your body retains water to repair)?  Time of day makes a difference as well.

Try not to weigh once per week.  Same time, same situation - and unless you see that elevated over a couple of weeks - don't sweat it....

oh i know it swings that much, that's just the biggest ive seen so far.  and i was curious about everyone else.  i weight myself three times a week mws, just before my workouts.  i usually only look at the average for that week.

When I'm weighing, I weight every day.  My biggest weight swing was 7-8 lb in 24 hours.  I was dehydrated the day before so i drank a ton of water and I had like 20 hot wings for dinner, so hello salt.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

some noteworthy Phylanx weight swings :

one summer I dug up a yard to put sod down and I lost 7 lb in 5 hours

(water weight, I gained 5 lb back at dinner:))

On my honeymoon I gained 5 lb in a week

(pre-paid all you can eat for 7 days, water weight can stick around for 3 months, right?)

in high school I lost 11 lb in 3 days

(13 mile run without water, probably a bad idea)

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

I don't weigh myself over the course of the day. 6 lbs. is probably the biggest swing I've seen in a 24 hour period though (all water - TOM + chinese HAH).  I like to think I don't like to see those swings, but realized deep, down, they got to me so I only step on the scale once per week - max.

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

There's been plenty of times that I've gone up or down 7 or 8 pounds in a day. Bad eating for the gain, heavy sweating for the loss; both even out the next couple of days to a 2 or 3 lb change.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

When I went to Italy my weight went up ten pounds the first day because I was flying and eating salty plane meals and croissants and chocolate (Swiss airline) when I had been eating very little salt, sugar or grains for pretty much the entire year before that, so oh yes, I was retaining water. But normally my margin of error is two or three pounds.

14lbs is the biggest I've swung in 24 hours. (Nov 2010)

Weighed in for competition in the morning (little bit of dehydration and no carbs for several weeks) then had my fights and over the next 5 hours ate a large Pizza Hut and 20 KrispyKreme donuts. lol

GoToTheGround"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo TolstoyTwitter | My 130lb weight-loss journey in photos & words 

14lbs is the biggest I've swung in 24 hours. (Nov 2010)

Weighed in for competition in the morning (little bit of dehydration and no carbs for several weeks) then had my fights and over the next 5 hours ate a large Pizza Hut and 20 KrispyKreme donuts. lol

oh my.

Archived