Forums are back in action! ×

Any Cosplayers? :D

I haven't done much cosplay but do love costumes (former burlesque performer and musical theatre nut) and my promised reward to myself at either my goal weight or when I reach my first serious lifting goal (1xBW on both squat and deadlift) is a custom-made steel-boned Wonder Woman costume (I have two great corsetieres because I'm just no good with corsets even though I make kick ass capes and knickers). If and when I get there, I promise I'll post all the pictures.

Now at 1*bw bench and heading for 2*bw squat and deadlift and still haven't fulfilled this promise.

I've always wanted to cosplay but my dream costume (which I've found piece by piece and saved and look at longingly) stacks up to 1.5k+ (leather armor is spensiiiiiiiive)- how did you guys get into it and was your first costume something you always wanted to do or did you settle for something a little lower before attempting a 'dream' piece? 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

I have been looking at getting the 10th Doctor's coat as well with Mal's browncoat and tell my self it would be used for "cosplay" when in reality i would just wear them around town because they are awesome. only problem is that they are about $350 each....

• Like 2

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

I've always wanted to cosplay but my dream costume (which I've found piece by piece and saved and look at longingly) stacks up to 1.5k+ (leather armor is spensiiiiiiiive)- how did you guys get into it and was your first costume something you always wanted to do or did you settle for something a little lower before attempting a 'dream' piece? 

My Sith cosplay is constantly evolving.  I've been buying the pieces just whenever I have the money to spare.  Armor is next on the list.  

For yours, have you considered making the armor?  You can buy leather relatively cheaply, and it's not all that hard to work with.  

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I'm cosplaying as Steampunk Zatanna Zatara for Boston Comic Con in a few short weeks. All I need to do is find a top hat.... or make one. 

And this isn't cosplay, but I'm dressing up for a Renn Faire in a few short weeks :3

Future cosplay plans: 

- Poison Ivy

- Wonder Woman (with slightly more Greek-style armor)

- Catwoman

- Kim Possible

• Like 1

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post

My Sith cosplay is constantly evolving.  I've been buying the pieces just whenever I have the money to spare.  Armor is next on the list.  

For yours, have you considered making the armor?  You can buy leather relatively cheaply, and it's not all that hard to work with.  

I'm craft-challenged- I can't even sew let alone try to piece together an awesome set of demon hunter leather armor :( 

I do keep my eye out for leather working classes in the area though I haven't found any yet. 

• Like 2

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

I'm craft-challenged- I can't even sew let alone try to piece together an awesome set of demon hunter leather armor :(

I do keep my eye out for leather working classes in the area though I haven't found any yet. 

You can always try to find an SCA group, they have classes and such that help with sewing and often times leather working for various reasons since people use that to make armor.

• Like 1

I never done cosplay before, but wanted to ever since I found out about it. The trouble was, I didn't have any idea what character I wanted to portray and I didn't know of any cons in my area, not to mention I'm a very shy person. Not sure what made me do it, but one day I told myself 'sure, why not?' Now I am preparing for a con next year in March. Since I'm terrible at sewing, I'm choosing to go as Avatar Korra, seen in my profile pic, since her outfit is easy to make without much, if any sewing.

I've got everything except the hair planned out, as for that, I will need a wig. Any advice for how to aquire one that looks the way I need it to?

• Like 2

Figured this was as good a place as any to post a question to you seasoned cosplayers. I'm making a TDK style two-face costume and am running into problems finding ways to scorch the suit without it falling apart. I got it at a goodwill so its not a huge investment if it gets ruined but I don't really want to have to buy several different ones until I get it right. Helpful tips anyone? This is my first cosplay attempt so if any of it is complicated, pretend you're explaining it to a child. Lol

Looking at this photo of the suit, I'd suggest sandpaper. Instead of trying to burn the suit, rub holes into it with the sandpaper, then attach red fabric to the other side. Depending on how thick the fabric is you might want to cut holes and then sand the edges to make them less regular. Then you could use paint or dye for the charring--I'm thinking paint so that you can get some texture. Maybe rough up the surface with some more sandpaper first. If you have an idea of what kind of fabric the suit is made of (Cotton? Polyester? Wool?) you ought to be able to go to a fabric store and get a bit of something with a similar fiber content to practice with.

I have not tried actually burning fabric before, but I'd definitely recommend figuring out the fiber content before trying to burn it. Wool is very fire-resistant. Cotton you might be able to char with a heat source (I speak from experience with a lightbulb) but the result might be brittle.

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

Definitely need to figure out what type of fabric it is before you try burning it.  Any kind of poly will melt instead of singe.  Cutting and sanding is a good way to get a worn look, but personally, I'd take a lighter to the edges instead of using paint.  Just pay attention to how long you hold the flame too the fabric, start short, then add time as you get the hang of it.

If you really just want to light it on fire, I'd say lay it in a tub of shallow water so that some is above the surface and some below, then just burn everything that isn't wet.  No idea how this would actually turn out, but it sounds fun. :playful:

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Yeah,I settled for something a little lower the first time when I was breaking into the whole cosplay thing. Went as Horo from Spice and Wolf. :D 

• Like 2

♣ Quilly ♣

Level 2 Gryphon Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 1 | CHA 0

Challenges: 1

Log

"If you cannot find Paradise,make your own."

I've decided to push many of my cosplay ideas to the side for now, because I was inspired by Marvel's announcement about the new Thor! 

tumblr_n8xcmiOqLf1r0x04do2_r1_1280.jpg

Needless to say, I've made this my new cosplay goal.... I've already started working on a helmet prototype, that I'll probably use for Halloween, but will remake for a con.

• Like 4

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post

dude, Lady Thor would be such a dope costume!

I think I'd love to do that eventually.

I love dressing up! I've had tons of costume parties and I've done quite a bit of cosplay in the past. I have a few cosplay a I am really proud off. ^_^

I think after losing some weight I could do even more costumes and feel really confident rocking them. :)

post-31541-0-80485100-1409068709_thumb.jpost-31541-0-64458400-1409068682_thumb.j

Here's a couple of outfits I did a few years ago.

• Like 3

LEVEL 2 | HALF DWARF | ADVENTURER

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 6.5 | CHA 1