Forums are back in action! ×

Old/new/old member. And a bit better than last time?

Hey everyone!

Well, most of the people that I see that post regularly on here now are unfamiliar, but that's okay, meeting new people is always cool.

As a quick reintroduction: I'm a 43-year-old guy living in Minnesota, father of two and a software test engineer. I'm a TOS Trekkie and a Firefly/Buffy/Dollhouse (ok, ok... Joss Whedon) fan. I still occasionally compete in things where heavy things fly through the air, such as the hammer throw in Track and Field and in the Highland Games.

Unfortunately, I don't do well with the challenges around here, mainly because my middle-aged body doesn't react particularly well to new activities. One set of burpees can make me sore for a week, and kill the rest of my training. I have to focus around a core of basic activities such as squats, good morning and sometimes deadlifts, with the occasional upper body exercise thrown in. And of course, throwing, when the Minnesota weather allows. Throw in a little aerobic exercise on an elliptical, and I'm a happy boy.

I could do with losing a few pounds and cleaning up my diet, although I'm just coming off a flu (it's probably not a good thing that I lost 10 pounds that way, but I'll take it).

Anyway... I'm sure I'll be around a lot more again, now that my personal stuff has settled down. It's great to meet everyone!

Ha!  I'm sooo old... (how old are you?)...I saw the seriese when it originally aired.  Glad that you joined back into the fun.  Take it nice and slow coming back after your flu; a relapse would be no fun.  We had a burpee mini-challenge a while ago and my knees didn't like it one bit.  Perhaps after I've gotten them built up a bit more... 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Hi Mr Book :) 

Quite the handsome shirt you're sporting there in your picture! Great of you to reintruduce yourself, gives people like me a chance to get to know you a bit.So you do Hammer throwing? That sounds like one of the manliest things there is to do at a friendly competition. Is it anything like shot put or Discus throwing?

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

Ha!  I'm sooo old... (how old are you?)...I saw the seriese when it originally aired.  Glad that you joined back into the fun.  Take it nice and slow coming back after your flu; a relapse would be no fun.  We had a burpee mini-challenge a while ago and my knees didn't like it one bit.  Perhaps after I've gotten them built up a bit more... 

TOS? No, I was busy being born when it was on air :) I just remember spending an awful lot of my Sunday mornings watching the reruns. At the time I was too young to understand the cultural significance, but I'd like to think that my main attraction was to the quality storytelling, especially since other shows with better acting and special effects came along. Of course, I was also a fan of Battlestar Galactica (the original) and Buck Rogers at the time, so I don't know if I can really claim that I had such good taste.

And yes... I'm ramping up my workouts even more slowly than usual this time, because of my recovery.

I think it would be fun to add some kind of *new* activity to my regimen, but I haven't decided on what yet. Something reminded me of Tai Chi recently... I may actually have some time to devote to something like that.

Hi Mr Book :) 

Quite the handsome shirt you're sporting there in your picture! Great of you to reintruduce yourself, gives people like me a chance to get to know you a bit.So you do Hammer throwing? That sounds like one of the manliest things there is to do at a friendly competition. Is it anything like shot put or Discus throwing?

Thanks! I do love the shirt, and I wear it with pride, even when I wasn't all that active around here. You know, I understand why it looks 'manly' to do my competitions, but I'm not sure I ever really saw it like that myself. Certainly I see it as a competitive outlet, and I take pride in the fact that I do something at a high level, but I think I feel about it in the way that I would if I were a really good musician (which I'm not, though I've never quite given up trying).

Yes, it's similar to shot put and discus. There are four throwing events contested at major track and field meets: shot put, discus, javelin and hammer throw. Here's a video I made this past summer:

Thanks! I do love the shirt, and I wear it with pride, even when I wasn't all that active around here. You know, I understand why it looks 'manly' to do my competitions, but I'm not sure I ever really saw it like that myself. Certainly I see it as a competitive outlet, and I take pride in the fact that I do something at a high level, but I think I feel about it in the way that I would if I were a really good musician (which I'm not, though I've never quite given up trying).

Yes, it's similar to shot put and discus. There are four throwing events contested at major track and field meets: shot put, discus, javelin and hammer throw. Here's a video I made this past summer:

I totally get what you mean! Beeing able to do something at a competitive level is just an awesome experience, it gives you a great perspective on nearly everything else you're doing. Even if it is just that you are able to focus entirely on a single task, but it is soo much more :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

Welcome back!  Any competitions coming up?

Nah, not until the snow melts. There is an indoor hammer, but it's not anywhere near as much fun, and besides, it's probably a good idea to give my body the time off. As it is, my knee *still* feels a bit off from last summer's activities.

They will run the Masters World Championships in May, which is a bit early for me, I'll be lucky if I could have 3 weeks of good throwing in before that. Plus, it kinda looks like money is going to be a bit tight this year, and I already have one trip planned to take my kids back to my hometown. This might be a light competition year altogether.

Book!!!

Haven't been around much in the past couple months myself, but just saw your re-intro and figured I'd pop in and say hey!

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Archived