Forums are back in action! ×

Ba Dum Tiss (Bad Joke Thread)

Not so much a joke as a puzzle, but it's got a mathematical-type bent to it.

Secret agent James Bond is hidden outside the enemy base, watching the front entrance. He knows that, even in his stolen uniform, he'll be captured if he doesn't give the correct password. So he waits. Eventually one of the enemy agents approaches the guard at the gate.

"Twelve!" states the guard on the gate.

"Six!" replies the agent. The door opens, and he's allowed in.

Bond checks he has everything and is about to emerge when a second agent arrives. Bond quickly hides again.

"Six!" states the guard on the gate.

Bond is horrified. The password is different every time!

"Three!" replies the agent.

Ah, thinks Bond. I've worked out the pattern. The answer must be half the first number. Once the coast is clear, he approaches the gate.

"Three!" states the guard.

"One and a half!" smiles Bond.

The alarms sound, and armed guards usher him inside for interrogation...

What is the pattern, and what should the correct answer have been?

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Five!

• Like 1

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

I bought some shoes from a drug dealer other other day. I don't know what he laced them with but I've been tripping all day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Correct! Now then, class, who can tell me why?

Curiously, the response to four is also four.

Ok, someone PLEASE post the answer to this. I can't work it out and it's killing me!!!

Sent from my stoopid phone which hates me I swear.

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Ok, someone PLEASE post the answer to this. I can't work it out and it's killing me!!!

Count the letters in the challenge from the guard

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Ugh!!!!! Here's me racking my brain thinking it's got something to do with curves (six is three, four is four, three is five) but you need to know at least one more tangent to work out the answer. :confused:

You mean trickster Artinum! "It's got a mathematical element..." That was plain old sneaky!

• Like 2

You have to count letters. That's mathematical, isn't it...? :-P

Here's an easy one for you, then. What do Attila the Hun and Winnie the Pooh have in common?

Same middle name?

• Like 2

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Groan! That is awful!

Quick story about groaners.  My son and I were driving home from a local collegiate basketball game on Friday and we were discussing types of jokes and some joke theory in the car (as you do).  We were talking about groaner type jokes and how it's really about who tells it and how they're told that makes a joke.  I asked him why he thought when I tell a "Bear Joke" I get groans for a reply and why when he tells one, he gets full on laughter.  He didn't miss a beat when he said "Because I'm cuter than you are".  It wasn't said with malicious intent, and I almost had to pull over from laughing so hard.  JJ gets it.  

• Like 2

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Quick story about groaners.  My son and I were driving home from a local collegiate basketball game on Friday and we were discussing types of jokes and some joke theory in the car (as you do).  We were talking about groaner type jokes and how it's really about who tells it and how they're told that makes a joke.  I asked him why he thought when I tell a "Bear Joke" I get groans for a reply and why when he tells one, he gets full on laughter.  He didn't miss a beat when he said "Because I'm cuter than you are".  It wasn't said with malicious intent, and I almost had to pull over from laughing so hard.  JJ gets it.  

Now this reminds me of something that Scott Adams wrote about humour. I forget the exact details, but he basically said there were six types of humour in his cartoons - puns/wordplay, cuteness (little doggies, etc), evil, broken logic, rudeness (lewd comments, etc) and I forget the last one. Hey, I read this years ago.

The key thing is - any one of these on its own is not funny. A pun, for instance, is groan-worthy. You need to combine it with another dimension. Scott's example was that the "evil" aspect (say, your company selling employees as slave labour) wouldn't be funny by itself - but if it's being suggested by a cute little doggie, it works. For JJ, the "cute" aspect is built in, so any pun or broken logic he comes up with is automatically funnier than if you or I do it.

This is also why innuendo works - it's a combination of rudeness and puns/wordplay.

• Like 1

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Not so much a joke as a puzzle, but it's got a mathematical-type bent to it.

[...]

What is the pattern, and what should the correct answer have been?

Ah yes... I don't know it as a Bond story, but as a pure puzzle, four is cosmic. Pissed a lot of people off with it - tell them to guess a number, and then work down from there, such as

• Twelve! Twelve is six, six is three, three is five, five is four, four is cosmic!
  • Twenty-one! Twenty-one is nine, nine is four, four is cosmic!

Some of my less-puzzle-inclined friends still hate me for this! That, and the "I like kittens but I don't like cats" puzzle!

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

They like tribbles too

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move