Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

I appreciate the effort he puts in to catering to my needs.  But ... do the ingredients of sauce register?

Most of people don't read the labels. It puzzles me that you should eat something without knowing first what's in it, but I've confirmed that even people who care about their health and try to eat healthy, fail at this simple point and end eating a lot of crap.

• Like 1

had this conversation for the second time in a week with a coworker...

me - sitting at a table in the breakroom that had cookies other coworkers haad brought

her- walks in "oooh those look good have you tried them?"

me - "nah I don't cookie"

her - "oh that's right we talked about that last week when I brought cookies"

me - "yup but everyone else seems to be enjoying them go ahead and try it if you want"

her - "wait why don't you eat cookies"

me (trying a novel approach) "because wheat and gluten are like mini nija assassins in my guts and they try to kill me with pain and suffering"

her - "oh.... .... really? well these really are good cookies are you sure you don't want one?"

me (trying hard not to facepalm) "nah I like to avoid ninja assassins until after 0500"

:P

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I eat enough fruit and vegetables and nuts to keep up a good supply of simple carbohydrates to my poor liver. Not to mention the grains of today have been modified for best production for decades, centuries even (people who think genetically modified foods are a relatively new thing need to consider how long we have been growing rust resistant wheat, insect resistant canola etc, been doing it forever here in Australia). Now think back to the traditional owners of Australia, they did not farm at all, they ate what nature provided right up until white man settled, they had not progressed as the Native Americans had or the South Americans or Indian, Egyptian, civilisations they were still the original hunters and gatherers. The reason I would believe they have so much trouble with their health today is that they have only had 200 years of white man diet and they have not yet evolved enough to handle our European grain heavy diet in any form, bread, rice, alcohol, Macca's, Burger King."

I had to end rant, she was pissing me off. I can't figure out why she said it, to make herself feel better or for me to doubt my course? I have decided to hold fast and continue my journey, it is working and the proof is in the clothes I wear and scale numbers I see.

I'm sorry your mom's ragging on you for your diet choices. I do feel the need to point out, though, that nearly everything we eat has been extensively modified and bred over decades/centuries, including our livestock and our produce. Why are grains singled out?  

• Like 2

Race: Ferret | Class: Assassin | Level: 4 | STR: 6  DEX: 3  STA: 1  CON: 5  WIS: 7  CHA: 3

Battle Log | Challenges: 1, 2, 3

I'm sorry your mom's ragging on you for your diet choices. I do feel the need to point out, though, that nearly everything we eat has been extensively modified and bred over decades/centuries, including our livestock and our produce. Why are grains singled out?  

Because grains aren't necessarily good in any form that I'm aware of, whereas beef can always be moved to a pasture...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

What does that have to do with wild vs. altered provenence?

Grains even from the beginning weren't good for us, whereas beef/wild meat was... so even if we were to revert grains back to before we got ahold of them they'd be bad, but sticking cows/bison in a pasture will get us much closer to the original, which was good for us. Same for fruits and veggies since a lot of them had a different defense mechanism from grains.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Because grains aren't necessarily good in any form that I'm aware of, whereas beef can always be moved to a pasture...

Also, glycemic index.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Others have gone over this much more thoroughly than I could, but for the tl;dr summary:

Modern wheat (the modern dwarf cultivar developed in the 1960s and comprising over 99% of wheat in cultivation today) has more and different gluten and less nutrients than it's predecessors.

• Like 1

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Just throwing my 2 cents in here, for what it's worth, but everyone I know who's tried cutting out wheat has felt better for it. Myself included. I'm fine with gluten, it's wheat itself, and the same for loads of my friends. I really don't think we're designed to eat the sheer amount of grains that are in the "normal" modern diet.

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

We aren't.  But i'm going back to topic!

"Oh, you're a gamer? So you must like League of Legends!'

Freaking. Enrages me.  I'm a gamer, but in the sense that i enjoy board and card games.  NOT. LEAGUE.  I don't know when this became a requirement to be a 'gamer' but it sure as hell isn't something i'm interested in doing. Ever.

• Like 2

And along THOSE lines...

"Do you like video games?"

"Yeah, totally!"

"Me too! I just got the new Halo / Call Of Duty / Valor Of Shooting / I Like To Kill People 2015! What's your X-Box Live name?"

"Uhm... I play Civilization 5..."

"Oh.  Do you play video games, though?"

• Like 2

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

And along THOSE lines...

"Yeah, totally!"

"Me too! I just got the new Halo / Call Of Duty / Valor Of Shooting / I Like To Kill People 2015! What's your X-Box Live name?"

your avatar fits this conversation perfectly.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Wufkar Stops Making Excuses

------------------------------------------------------

Grains even from the beginning weren't good for us, whereas beef/wild meat was... so even if we were to revert grains back to before we got ahold of them they'd be bad, but sticking cows/bison in a pasture will get us much closer to the original, which was good for us. Same for fruits and veggies since a lot of them had a different defense mechanism from grains.

Also, glycemic index.

Others have gone over this much more thoroughly than I could, but for the tl;dr summary:

Modern wheat (the modern dwarf cultivar developed in the 1960s and comprising over 99% of wheat in cultivation today) has more and different gluten and less nutrients than it's predecessors.

That and a fair few people are gluten intolerent.

Just throwing my 2 cents in here, for what it's worth, but everyone I know who's tried cutting out wheat has felt better for it. Myself included. I'm fine with gluten, it's wheat itself, and the same for loads of my friends. I really don't think we're designed to eat the sheer amount of grains that are in the "normal" modern diet.

To clarify, I'm not arguing about whether wheat/grains are intrinsically healthy or not. If you feel you're better off avoiding grains out of concerns about glycemic index, gluten or GMOs, then knock yourself out. I'm arguing that I think that the logic behind avoiding grains because they've been extensively bred and modified is spurious, because the same is true of almost everything we eat, minus a handful of exceptions. (And I'm not trying to pick on Sevenofseven here; I've heard the same rationale elsewhere.) Feel free to disagree, but my point had little to do with gluten intolerance or other issues that have been raised here.

Thank you for the links, Tomosan, I did read them. In the interest of not completely derailing this thread I'm going to leave the discussion here. Carry on folks. 

• Like 2

Race: Ferret | Class: Assassin | Level: 4 | STR: 6  DEX: 3  STA: 1  CON: 5  WIS: 7  CHA: 3

Battle Log | Challenges: 1, 2, 3

And I'm not trying to pick on Sevenofseven here; I've heard the same rationale elsewhere.

Nah, all good, I did some google research myself and read a few interesting articles from pro and con points of view. All very interesting, but I think my body has a few kilo of fat to go before it starts devouring itself and organ damage ensues.

I think the main thing is people who don't eat much of anything, almost everything we eat is going to have some type of carb in it, simple, complex or otherwise. Because we choose not to eat grain does not constitute not eating carbs.

Just putting it onto my "Mother is a biartch" tally.

Thank you everyone for your input.

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

And along THOSE lines...

"Yeah, totally!"

Ouch, I feel that pain.  I have a convenient out with Bioshock and Mass Effect (they have guns and shooting, so apparently they're OK), but some days I just like to go all starry-eyed at idiots about Point and Click adventures, and whatever really well-executed little indie game I discovered recently.  It's amazing how many people stop talking to you about games when you stop talking about blockbuster FPSes.  Although I suppose that makes sense; lots of people only play them because they've got the big money behind them.  Talking to those people about older games and obscure games would probably be like talking to a casual moviegoer about the history of film and arthouse flicks...

Still annoys me when people assume that because I like games, I like straight FPSes.  Sure I'll play them, particularly co-op with friends, but they're never going to be my favourites.

What really gets me is people assuming I'm a PC gamer because I've never gotten into it enough to buy a console.  No, thanks, I'm a PC gamer because I prefer PC controls.  If I wanted a console, I'd have one already.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

To clarify, I'm not arguing about whether wheat/grains are intrinsically healthy or not. If you feel you're better off avoiding grains out of concerns about glycemic index, gluten or GMOs, then knock yourself out. I'm arguing that I think that the logic behind avoiding grains because they've been extensively bred and modified is spurious, because the same is true of almost everything we eat, minus a handful of exceptions. (And I'm not trying to pick on Sevenofseven here; I've heard the same rationale elsewhere.) Feel free to disagree, but my point had little to do with gluten intolerance or other issues that have been raised here.

Thank you for the links, Tomosan, I did read them. In the interest of not completely derailing this thread I'm going to leave the discussion here. Carry on folks. 

I think there's a mix here.  Some people obviously do have issues with grains/gluten, while plenty of others don't.  I take that mostly as a "try it, see how you feel, and be honest with yourself".  GMO's aren't intrinsically bad, and genetic engineering has the potential to do a world of good if used responsibly, but there are certain facets of GMO use that I see as risky/view with skepticism.

I'd summarize it as this:

• Selective breeding/GMO involves selection for specific traits(or in the case of GMO's, a more forceful "insertion")
  • These traits generally offer desirable properties to some aspects of the organism
  • There is nothing intrinsically harmful about the concept of selective breeding or genetic modification itself
  • However, it's possible that in the process of hyper-selecting for certain traits, others have been modified in non-beneficial ways
    • Think about purebred dogs, who often have numerous health problems as the result of hyperselection for certain aesthetic traits, while neglecting overall physical hardiness.  Traits that are not actively selected for tend to be muddled/weaken over generations
  • Some of these traits are higher-risk than others:
    • If it's just producing bigger fruit or being more adapted to colder/drier climates, probably not a big deal
    • On the other hand, a plant that produces a pesticide-like toxin(e.g. plants containing the gene for "BT Toxin") as a result of genetic modification, or a plant that is extra-immune to pesticides/herbicides such that farmers can just douse the plant with them is one I'd view with a degree of skepticism, as it has a non-trivial chance of increasing exposure to things I may not want to be exposed to.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

• Some of these traits are higher-risk than others:
    • If it's just producing bigger fruit or being more adapted to colder/drier climates, probably not a big deal
    • On the other hand, a plant that produces a pesticide-like toxin(e.g. plants containing the gene for "BT Toxin") as a result of genetic modification, or a plant that is extra-immune to pesticides/herbicides such that farmers can just douse the plant with them is one I'd view with a degree of skepticism, as it has a non-trivial chance of increasing exposure to things I may not want to be exposed to.

This. One of the more common GMO types is designed for resistance to Round-Up, thus leading to more extensive use of said herbicide and therefore, more herbicide on the food and more herbicide in the ground water.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

And along THOSE lines...

"Yeah, totally!"

I'm in the camp that crosses both divides. Love civilisation, equally love Halo. And hell, if you like to kill people, the goal of Civilisation is usually complete genocide of all your rivals.

• Like 2

overheard in garden area ready with shovel:

"you might not want to bend over as much much or you'll have a sore back"

"I have a good back" 

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

You obviously don't have a bad back...

My dad broke his tailbone, has a few slipped disk, and a degenerative disc disease (leg, head, and stomach but that will take to long)  so if he is doing light work he will try to stay in a more upright position.  My mom (heart problems)  was almost parallel to the ground while trying scoop up a little bit of dirt to get the rocks out dirt sieve from doubled over chicken wire.

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

You obviously don't have a bad back...

My dad broke his tailbone, has a few slipped disk, and a degenerative disc disease (leg, head, and stomach but that will take to long)  so if he is doing light work he will try to stay in a more upright position.  My mom (heart problems)  was almost parallel to the ground while trying scoop up a little bit of dirt to get the rocks out dirt sieve from doubled over chicken wire.

Oohhhh, ok.

Wait! What............?