Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Broccoli makes a fairly good anthropomorphic vegetable, doesn't it?

But I'm curious - what do people see as the ethnicity of the broccoli?  I was looking at that last pic and it made me think of one of Ned Flanders' kids, but then I was wondering if other people saw it the same way, because it could just as easly be a black kid with an afro.  I live in one of the whitest parts of the whitest state in the country - would I see it differently if I lived somewhere else?  Does everybody just project their own demographic onto anthropomorpic vegetables?  Do vegetables even have ethnicities?  Does anybody else wonder about these things?

• Like 1

My new favorite comment came yesterday at the store when I was in the freezer section getting a bulk bag of steamer bag veggies (broc, mixed veg, green beans, etc) when a guy reaches in the door next to me.  Looking in my cart he says “you should get these, they are just as healthy and so much better for you cause you will eat more of them cause they taste better; and eating more vegetables is good for you!!† It’s at this time I realize he is holding 2 bags, one of them the broccoli and cheese sauce, and one of the mixed veggies and pasta in sauce……

this was basically my responce:

mc-random-18-51_zpse52e8833.gif

• Like 5

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

"Usually healthy food doesn't taste good!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

OMG.

The kicker is that they're talking about matcha (powdered Japanese green tea). I know they served poor quality because 1) they said it didn't taste good (ok, I know it's not everyone's taste, but come ON) and 2) people added honey to it (NOOOOOOOOOOO) to make it taste better.

Bad food tastes bad! UGH.

• Like 1

"Usually healthy food doesn't taste good!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

OMG.

The kicker is that they're talking about matcha (powdered Japanese green tea). I know they served poor quality because 1) they said it didn't taste good (ok, I know it's not everyone's taste, but come ON) and 2) people added honey to it (NOOOOOOOOOOO) to make it taste better.

Bad food tastes bad! UGH.

In all fairness, I've had matcha that I know is good quality, and I don't particularly care for it.  There are plenty of healthy (and unhealthy) things that people just don't like.

Broccoli makes a fairly good anthropomorphic vegetable, doesn't it?

But I'm curious - what do people see as the ethnicity of the broccoli?  I was looking at that last pic and it made me think of one of Ned Flanders' kids, but then I was wondering if other people saw it the same way, because it could just as easly be a black kid with an afro.  I live in one of the whitest parts of the whitest state in the country - would I see it differently if I lived somewhere else?  Does everybody just project their own demographic onto anthropomorpic vegetables?  Do vegetables even have ethnicities?  Does anybody else wonder about these things?

Red, bushy hair and freckles. Chubby cheeks.

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

In all fairness, I've had matcha that I know is good quality, and I don't particularly care for it.  There are plenty of healthy (and unhealthy) things that people just don't like.

Hahah yeah, I know. :) My dad's face when he had very good matcha when I took him for tea ceremony ... priceless!

And for lunch today: "a lot of peas".

(to go with my bacon meatballs)

Bacon meatballs?

I can haz recipe?

The evil dancing circus monkeys that live in my phone rarely let my communications come through appropriately

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Not sure, I think Mrs. Barfly just adds crumbled up bacon (cooked) to her meatball mixture. I'll have to check in a bit.

Chop bacon finely, cook halfway through with some minced onions, cool and mix into the rest of the meatball ingredients. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes (maybe less, she cooks everything dry).

Or, says she, just wrap a slice of bacon (raw) around the meatball, put a toothpick through it and bake as above.

• Like 1

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

Chop bacon finely, cook halfway through with some minced onions, cool and mix into the rest of the meatball ingredients. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes (maybe less, she cooks everything dry).

Or, says she, just wrap a slice of bacon (raw) around the meatball, put a toothpick through it and bake as above.

barfly.... I am gonna have to make meatballs

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Wanna know what I hate hearing?

"Hey you!  In the bushes!  I see you!  Get out of here!"

Guzzi keeps running me off. :(

Lies! It's all lies! :P

I'm getting fed up of my FiL asking me "How long are you going to keep this exercise thing up for then?"

Forever. The same as the last time you asked me. Ungh!  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Not a specific comment, but a behavior that involves chatter that's very consistent and very annoying:

I hate how everyone on earth is so obsessed about arguing over stuff, especially on the internet but increasingly in real life as well.

I can't stand bickering. If people disagree on how something ought to be done, they ought to just DO it their own way and come back and see what worked better. This is prominent in fitness forums. Luckily this one seems very different, which is why I enjoy being here.

• Like 1

[ Babby's Ferst Challenge ]

Veganism killed my gainz

Chasing 15 rep 2xBW deadlift

You shouldn't lift because it will make you thick/ look shorter. (The speaker is willowy with a not little amount of beer gut)

This isn't an all the time thing, but I have some slight calluses on my hands from lifting. I don't think they're particularly noticeable, but a co-worker/friend of mine has wanted me to talk to her about starting strength training with a barbell. She is a little intimidated by the weights section of her gym, & I agreed to go with her one day next week to "introduce" her to the area. 

Anyway, she was asking me about if she would get calluses on her hands, because I guess she got them when she rowed in high school. An old trainer of mine who used to lift very heavy yet still had nice hands told me the secret was rubbing olive oil on your hands. I told her that trick, & then that I didn't do much of anything but mine weren't too noticeable. Another co-worker of ours said "If you are going to strength train, you need to buy gloves. No girl wants gross calluses on their hands, it's disgusting." 

And I mean, I get it, but I'm not going to say it didn't sting a little.

This isn't an all the time thing, but I have some slight calluses on my hands from lifting. I don't think they're particularly noticeable, but a co-worker/friend of mine has wanted me to talk to her about starting strength training with a barbell. She is a little intimidated by the weights section of her gym, & I agreed to go with her one day next week to "introduce" her to the area. 

Anyway, she was asking me about if she would get calluses on her hands, because I guess she got them when she rowed in high school. An old trainer of mine who used to lift very heavy yet still had nice hands told me the secret was rubbing olive oil on your hands. I told her that trick, & then that I didn't do much of anything but mine weren't too noticeable. Another co-worker of ours said "If you are going to strength train, you need to buy gloves. No girl wants gross calluses on their hands, it's disgusting." 

I can't be the only one to think it's actually kinda cool to have calloused hands from strength training can I? It's like yeah...check out the evidence of my strength training right here...yeah totally. I lift. I lift so much my body has to make my SKIN stronger too. Yeah, I know. Badass, right? 

I know. 

Am I the only one who feels this way?? 

Use oil if it's uncomfortable, but definitely don't feel like it's 'disgusting.' I think it's cool. Actually, I think it's kind of beautiful how the body does this. And good on you for showing her round the gym, because you're right - that area can be a bit intimidating!

• Like 8

Co-worker's problem, not yours.

• Like 1

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

Well. If I meet a girl and I have a wonderful time with her, I'm not going to be all 'Ew, you have a callus in your hand? We can't--like-- even be friends anymore.'

Especially, people with these kind of small calluses/ skin imperfection tell great stories about their interests. Small burns? They are great cooks. Fingertip calluses? Great guitarist. Bent toenails? Great runners.

Don't be discouraged. Be proud. It's your medal that you do something so hard it becomes a small part of your identity. 

• Like 5