Forums are back in action! ×

Tattoos in a conservative work place

Hi nerds!

So I've always been interested in tattoos but never interested enough to get one until recently. I've also recently gotten a new ear piercing (helix so still pretty tame) and recently bought some fake gauge earrings from Etsy. However, I work in a pretty conservative work place. For example, the receptionist wore a skirt one day and her ankle was wrapped with a bandage. When we asked her what's wrong, she just said she had a tattoo she didn't want to show. I know other people have tattoos but they just wear long sleeves.

Just as an example of how conservative it is: My boss told us a story about how they interviewed a girl who had sleeve tattoos and the sleeves on her shirt rolled up so her tats were on full display. She was a totally qualified candidate but she "couldn't be put in front of a client" so she wasn't hired. My boss, btw, is married to a guy with sleeve tats who works in the same industry we do. Hypocrite win :(

Do you all feel "judged" about your tattoos? Do people comment or say negative things? And what kind of workplaces do y'all work in? 

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I can't really help answer this, but I'm curious to hear what other people say.

I've been wanting to get my first tattoo for... Erm... Over 10 years now (I'm such a procrastinator). I work in education, so I was always told to be super conservative and figured I would just get one in a place where no one will see it. Unfortunately I really, really want it on my forearm, but as you said, that means sticking to long sleeves all the time. When I was actually teaching lots of other teachers had visible tattoos, as did most of my students. So it seemed more acceptable there (which was third ward Houston). Currently someone in my grad program has one on the back of her neck, and she wears her hair up so it isn't always hidden.

So yeah. I'm sure if I walk into the nicest private school in Howard County, MD, a visible tattoo would be judged, but back in Houston? I felt very differently.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

I have never had a problem. I have a tat of a flag on my shoulder. Its pretty big so in short sleeves you can see the bottem of it. No one has ever said anything about mine.

Half-Elf Bard

Level 1

Str:3|Dex:2|INT:3|WIS:2|CON:2|CHA:3|

Conflict forces one to better oneself. It forces change, growth, adaption, evolution… or death. ―Yuthura Ban

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.Through passion, I gain strength.Through strength, I gain power.Through power, I gain victory.Through victory, my chains are broken.The Force shall free me.

I can't really help answer this, but I'm curious to hear what other people say.

I've been wanting to get my first tattoo for... Erm... Over 10 years now (I'm such a procrastinator). I work in education, so I was always told to be super conservative and figured I would just get one in a place where no one will see it. Unfortunately I really, really want it on my forearm, but as you said, that means sticking to long sleeves all the time. When I was actually teaching lots of other teachers had visible tattoos, as did most of my students. So it seemed more acceptable there (which was third ward Houston). Currently someone in my grad program has one on the back of her neck, and she wears her hair up so it isn't always hidden.

So yeah. I'm sure if I walk into the nicest private school in Howard County, MD, a visible tattoo would be judged, but back in Houston? I felt very differently.

My cousin is an art teacher in SC and she has a tattoo on her wrist. I love the placement but I worry that if she interviews somewhere, they'll look down on her. But she's pretty masterful with makeup so maybe she'll be able to cover it. Back of the neck is a cool place though. Show it when you want, cover it when you want.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I think it really depends on the work place. I'm an accountant, which is traditionally a conservative field. However, at the University I work at, no one bats an eye at my tattoos. The situation would probably be very different if I worked at an accounting firm. Unfortunately, there's still a stigma attached to tattoos, and many people believe that if you have tattoos you can't possibly be professional or successful. I call shenanigans on that because I'm pretty sure that the fact that I have tattoos doesn't have anything to do with my intelligence, work ethic, or ability to perform my job. Just sayin'. 

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

I work for a large oil company. When I interviewed at their home office, I thought the office would be a lot more conservative since most of upper management in my building are older, more conservative gentlemen (and a few ladies).  Luckily I'm in the Mining office and it turns out you're probably in the minority if you don't have a piercing or tattoo of some kind (I have triple helix piercings in one ear with brightly coloured rings and it took my supervisor 6 months to notice them despite the fact he sits facing that side of my head. My hair is up all the time too :D). I think now a days it really depends on where you're working and who you're working for. Having the ability to cover them up, if necessary, is a nice option though.

Level 4 Wood Elf Assassin

It sucks when people turn hypocritical over tattoos...

Both of mine could be covered easily enough. The one on the back of my shoulder spends a lot of time under cover, and the one on the inside of my wrist can be covered with sleeves when essential, though it never is covered because I really hate sleeves... I have had a negative reaction to them, but considering the people who reacted were my extremely conservative parents (who I did, and sometimes still do, work for at the time) I guess it doesn't count.

On the other hand, most of the days I've been on coaching/instruction sessions have managed to fall on hot weather days, meaning half of the time both of my tattoos are exposed. No one has said a word aside from curious primary school kids wondering what they mean.

I guess it might be different if I worked in a different field or when I get more, but at this moment in time I don't feel too many people are judging.

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Here in Wyoming, a visible tattoo is one of the ways to be disqualified as a teacher, we are ultra conservative here. Good thing for me that I rebelled against the growing trend of my high school friends, and don't even have any piercings except the closed holes in my ears. 

Down in Denver, though, would likely be a different story... it really depends on how conservative an area is in general I believe. (I remember my biology class being scandalized when our teacher admitted to having a hidden tattoo)

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

Being in my field, I knew before I got my tats that it might be frowned upon, so I pretty much only placed them in locations that are covered by slack and a short sleeve shirt.

Outside of work people have seen em and haven't said anything about em, we do have a former navy guy that has a full sleeve, and he just wears long sleeve shirts. Once I get the one on my back I'll let you know if all that changes.

Oh and I work in your typical office...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I've been dying to get sleeves forever, but I've avoided it because I haven't fully broken into my dream field. I have lots of friends with lots of tattoos, who also aren't yet professionals. I think it's going to be tough for some of them to get jobs, especially with fad tattoos like mustaches on their fingers (so a finger 'stache looks more realistic) and whatnot.

As a Sailor, tattoos haven't quite been adopted into the work place yet. yet. The stigma that goes along with them is slowly being broken down one by one. A few years ago, the Navy was very gung-ho about idolizing a non-tattoo'd and non-alcoholic sailor. Think about what you traditionally think of a Sailor as for a second and then imagine the Navy trying to create the exact opposite of that. While the de-glamorization of alcohol is still a big thing in the Navy (with good reason I suppose), they've gotten more and more lenient on tattoos over the years from the strict standards they once had a few years ago.

I think all in all, tattoos are becoming less about punk/gang/against-the-grain individuals and more about expressing yourself. In the end though you'll have to go with whatever your gut tells you about your workplace. Again, as a Sailor, we come up with all kinds of ways to get around the regulations for tattoos and we adopt a "better to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission" attitude. In the end though, it's all about what your gut tells you. 

We have a saying when it comes to tattoos and a lot of other major life decisions in the Navy and military:

"You do whatever you think your career can handle."

Hope this helps a little.

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

I have worked in hospitals for the last 6 years, and pretty much as long as only a little bit showed, it was okay. One hospital didn't care at all. Many staff had sleeves and things that were always visible. The other place made some people cover but not all. one guy in the cafeteria had to wear a sleeve over his tatt sleeves, while managers on two different floors had visible sleeves. I wish it didn't matter, as long as there is not nudity or offensive design, who cares? I think it shows that people are creative and not to say those without them aren't. It shouldn't be a ding on those with them.They don't prohibit people from doing a job, and if they are in a client based industry, no one is really going to complain if they have to cover their tatts for a meeting. Its not that big of a deal. tattoos DO NOT equal a bad worker. Can't wait for things to change!

Human Adventurer

Level 1

STR: 3   DEX: 1   STA: 1   CON: 3   WIS: 4   CHA: 3

Smile, listen, agree...then do whatever the fuck you wanted to do anyway- RDJ

As long as you are willing to cover up your tattoos while at work then go for it. I am a female with tattoos from my collar bone to my elbows and I just make sure I always wear collared, 3/4 sleeve shirts or turtle necks. Yes it is annoying sometimes but I deal. Honestly, I'm pretty sure my company wouldn't care if I showed my tattoos, I just prefer to keep them covered because I feel it is more professional.

It's not easy being green.

I've seen a bunch of different views on tattoos. When I was working retail at one place they were super strict on tattoos and piercings. If a guy had his ears pierced he had to take them out and if you had visible tattoos they had to be covered.  I then went to work at another place and the management didn't give a damn about anything piercings or tattoos.  

I have a few tattoos all of which can be easily covered, and with wanting to work in the school system in Texas views vary greatly. A lot of the teachers I knew during my student teaching had tattoos and quite a few were visible. Everything just depends on the person(s) in charge.

Jigglypuff Adventurer

STR: 3.25    DEX: 3    STA: 3.5   CON: 3.75    WIS: 6    CHA: 4

Previous Challenges: 12

Here in Wyoming, a visible tattoo is one of the ways to be disqualified as a teacher, we are ultra conservative here. Good thing for me that I rebelled against the growing trend of my high school friends, and don't even have any piercings except the closed holes in my ears. 

Down in Denver, though, would likely be a different story... it really depends on how conservative an area is in general I believe. (I remember my biology class being scandalized when our teacher admitted to having a hidden tattoo)

Yep.  You are correct. ^_^

I live in the Denver metro area.  I've had teachers with tattoos.  I have coworkers with tattoos.  I've seen police with tattoos.  I've seen EMTs and paramedics with full sleeves.

I have two tattoos.  One is on the top of my foot, the other is on my upper arm.  At work, both are covered all.the.time.  This has nothing to do with dress codes or conservatism; it's just freeze-your-ass-off cold in my office!

If that place where you spend 40 hours a week is squeamish about tattoos, keep that in mind.  If you think it would affect your morale to have to cover a tattoo at work, put it in an area where it can be covered or hold off on getting one.  Coworkers' opinions are something that many people say should not matter, but sometimes, they just do.

Since i'm in Australia this could differ from what happens elsewhere but i havent had any major problems with my tattoos or piercings. I have my upper back, wrist and entire top of my foot tattooed as well as my lip, tongue and ears (9times) pierced.

I currently work in admin at an engineering office and although my boss hates all of it (he makes me take my lip bar out), he doesnt do anything about it and no one else really cares. Granted my boss didnt know about any of it when he offered me the job!

I have just been through a huge application process for accounting graduate positions next year when I graduate uni. I sort of covered most of my tattoos and wasnt questioned about any of it at my interviews, and I was offered positions from every company I met with - so it cant be too bad! These are also large global professional companies so I was a little surprised. I dont think i would get away with something like a sleeve though

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

I work in a law office.  We have lots of people with tattoos - including one of the partners and I think one of the other lawyers had one, but he left.  I have three, two of them are visible most of the time (wrist and ankle).

It really depends on the culture of the office.  I think if I got full sleeves they might side-eye me a bit, but a few small, but visible ones are fine.

6th kyu in Aikido

I write stuff in my spare time

I love Star Trek

Just as an example of how conservative it is: My boss told us a story about how they interviewed a girl who had sleeve tattoos and the sleeves on her shirt rolled up so her tats were on full display. She was a totally qualified candidate but she "couldn't be put in front of a client" so she wasn't hired. My boss, btw, is married to a guy with sleeve tats who works in the same industry we do. Hypocrite win :(

To me this doesn't show how conservative your boss is, or why it's hypocritical. In fact, I'd do the same thing and not hire her. If someone comes in for a job interview and cares so little about how she's seen that she doesn't cover her tattoos to me that's a red flag. I'd read it as a) she isn't serious about wanting this job or B) she doesn't take other peoples wishes into consideration.  A job interview is a bit like a first date, you show yourself from your best side. You show how good you can be. And if your best you doesn't cover the tattoos that doesn't feel right. 

I want a professional for most jobs, so I also want someone to show me a professional image. Tattoos are not a professional image and I'm pretty sure everyone knows this. So if you don't cover up, I'll assume your not a professional and I will not hire you. There's more to a job than just doing the work. I will assume you will have your tattoos out every single day and unless that fits with the job you're not getting hired.

Now, if you are hired already and you have or get tattoos that's different. As far as I'm concerned you can show them as long as it fits with being responsible and professional in your job. So on some days it might be ok and not on others. With regards to the very conservative surroundings you are in you'll need to figure out for yourself if it's ok. And if you get a tattoo on your forearm you might want to leave a vest or blazer in the office so that when professionalism requires you cover up you always have that covered. 

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

What is this proffessional image? Who came up with it?

I have a beard, a natural thing and yet constantly meet pogonophobes who cast aspersions on me because I dare to keep what the gods gave me because "It's not professional!" I tell you what's not professional, judging a person on their hair, tats or piercings. I will grant you that in the early 90's at school someone was sent home for having a 4 letter word shaved into his head and I agree with that, the same as covering up offensive tattoos but damn, I don't care if you have full sleeves, long hair, beard and a dozen piercings when I come to do a job with you. Only that you're concientious, hard working and have a grasp of personal hygiene.

The other one that gets me is suits. Something based off a 17th century design which doesn't work for the modern world. You can't keep a wallet, phone and fat old car fob in the pockets without completely ruining the line of the suit. A pair of dickies work trousers would work much better and surely choosing your clothes for their practicality would be more professional! ARGHHH!

Back on topic. Get the tattoos, damn the man and wear them proud if you're comfortable with taking the doubters and making them realise you work hard and get results. Otherwise don't but remember when you are in a place to hire and a tattoo'd freak sits in front of you their tattoos do not make them any more or less professional.

• Like 1

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

To me this doesn't show how conservative your boss is, or why it's hypocritical. In fact, I'd do the same thing and not hire her. If someone comes in for a job interview and cares so little about how she's seen that she doesn't cover her tattoos to me that's a red flag. I'd read it as a) she isn't serious about wanting this job or B) she doesn't take other peoples wishes into consideration.  A job interview is a bit like a first date, you show yourself from your best side. You show how good you can be. And if your best you doesn't cover the tattoos that doesn't feel right. 

I want a professional for most jobs, so I also want someone to show me a professional image. Tattoos are not a professional image and I'm pretty sure everyone knows this. So if you don't cover up, I'll assume your not a professional and I will not hire you. There's more to a job than just doing the work. I will assume you will have your tattoos out every single day and unless that fits with the job you're not getting hired. 

I think this represents a pretty old school attitude toward what is professional and what is not. Why aren't tattoos a professional image? Because a bunch of stuffy people said so once upon a time. Fortunately, the nature of many workplaces is changing and now (for many people) tattoos aren't an impediment to appearing professional. To me someone saying tats are unprofessional is like back in the 1970s when my mum wasn't allowed to go to work wearing trousers because it was considered inappropriate for a woman to do so.

If I was recruiting someone with visible tattoos, and that person was the most qualified person for the position, I would definitely still hire them. If the job required contact with clients who would likely be put off by a tattoed employee, I would simply inform the employee at the time they were hired that they'd need to be willing to cover their tattoos at client meetings in order to hold down the position. If they weren't willing to do that, then I wouldn't take them on board.  

I don't have any tats, and I'm a suit-clad lawyer type, so it's not like I'm a radical when it comes to office dressing! I just don't see why it's inherently unprofessional.

• Like 1

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

I also work in a conservative place and the HR dept (down the hall from me) won't hire people w visible tats bc of being in front of clients/customers. I have two large tats I cover if I go to big meetings. They were not visible when I interviewed and nobody knew for about a year. They just aren't acceptable here.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I think this represents a pretty old school attitude toward what is professional and what is not. Why aren't tattoos a professional image? Because a bunch of stuffy people said so once upon a time. Fortunately, the nature of many workplaces is changing and now (for many people) tattoos aren't an impediment to appearing professional. To me someone saying tats are unprofessional is like back in the 1970s when my mum wasn't allowed to go to work wearing trousers because it was considered inappropriate for a woman to do so.

If I was recruiting someone with visible tattoos, and that person was the most qualified person for the position, I would definitely still hire them. If the job required contact with clients who would likely be put off by a tattoed employee, I would simply inform the employee at the time they were hired that they'd need to be willing to cover their tattoos at client meetings in order to hold down the position. If they weren't willing to do that, then I wouldn't take them on board.  

I don't have any tats, and I'm a suit-clad lawyer type, so it's not like I'm a radical when it comes to office dressing! I just don't see why it's inherently unprofessional.

totaly signed.

I would love to say it's different in Ger. But unfortunatel it's not.

But to be honest, if I want to work in conservative work place, I have to cover my tats. :/ Not to be professional, but to satisfy my boss.

Eat Clean, Train Dirty

My first challenge

The problem is, like it or not, there is still a social stigma attached to tattoos. We may not care, but there are those that do. There are still people that see them as a deviant thing as well. A lot of times a business has to worry about their image and like it or not their employees are a big chunk of the initial appraisal a business receives from a customer. Thing of it as playing to the lowest common denominator if you will.

With all that, I have tattoos and have no problem with most tattoos. I've seen one or two that where extremely offensive (to me). 

As for the OP. I've worked in IT for 18 years now and been from companies that only care that you are clothed somewhat, to ones that want you dressed business professional with a tie every day. The one I'm at now doesn't care what you look like as long as you wear slacks and a polo, and we can wear jeans and t shirts on Fridays. Nothing about tattoos at all, oddly we can't wear hats while in the building fedora or baseball.

The problem is, like it or not, there is still a social stigma attached to tattoos. We may not care, but there are those that do. There are still people that see them as a deviant thing as well. A lot of times a business has to worry about their image and like it or not their employees are a big chunk of the initial appraisal a business receives from a customer. Thing of it as playing to the lowest common denominator if you will.

Oh I totally agree that the stigma exists in some places - not as many as in the past fortunately. But I think it's kind of silly to continue that stigma ourselves when we're the ones recruitment decisions... I disagree who said with the commenter above who said they wouldn't hire a person who showed a tattoo in a job interview because it was unprofessional. Like I said above, I'd be comfortable requiring someone to cover up their tats when they interacted with clients or customers and it was gonna compromise the business, since sadly some people are prejudiced.

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.