Forums are back in action! ×

Lifted AGAIN.

As reigning Queen of do-it-once-and-then-never-do-it-again-Land, I just needed to say... I lifted again! Lifted HEAVY!

Ok, it wasn't too heavy in the grand scheme of things, but it was the heaviest weight I could push around. I worked those muscles to failure baby. WOO!

I can't believe how simple barbell training is. Seriously. I thought it was some magical, dudes-only process that takes forever to get into. Not so! Push around as much weight as you can (with good form). Eat. Next time, try to push more. That's it! Why would anyone go for weightmachines and ab contraptions? This is sweet. 

Current Challenge Goals:

1. Workout 3x/week || 2. Eat Primally when at Home || 3. Make the Bed 

Daily Battle Log 

My Accountabilihomies: DISTRICT 12

Food I Make

A lot of fun right! And addictive...welcome to the dark side.

Very addictive. Now I'm justing to figure out DOMS and eating. How much protein do I eat? Is there a protein "window" I have to eat it in? How sore is too sore to go back to it? 

Your enthusiasm is contagious! :)

Well done :) hopefully this is the beginning of a very healthy long term habit!

I hope so too. Thanks! :)

Current Challenge Goals:

1. Workout 3x/week || 2. Eat Primally when at Home || 3. Make the Bed 

Daily Battle Log 

My Accountabilihomies: DISTRICT 12

Food I Make

0.8g/lbs of body weight of protein you should eat  :)

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

In regards to protein intake: Different countries have different recommendations. And the recommendations vary slightly depending on age, sex, and other things (like pregnancy and lactation).

The recommendation is between 0.6-1g/kg of ideal body weight (some use LBM). Which averages out to 0.8g/kg (Duality said 0.8g/lb but i'll get to that later).

Here are the Australian recommendations: http://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/protein.htm

Having said that - these surgeon general recommendations are meant for the 'average' person.

Someone who is pursuing weight lifting and strength gains would actually be considered different from the average. I would therefore use 0.8g/kg of ideal body weight as a minimum. Also I hate having to say 0.8g/kg - so it is easier to remember to just say 1g/kg.

The question then becomes - how much protein is too much protein?

The most commonly spread theory is that too much protein will damage your kidneys. Much like rhabdomyolysis will give you kidney failure. I'm not sure that for people with *normal healthy renal function* that there is a large amount of scientific evidence behind that.

Certainly for those with pre-existing kidney dysfunction, there are studies which show a low protein diet will minimise the rate of decline of GFR (and conversely a higher protein diet results in more rapid decline of GFR). This has never been shown in people with normal kidney function.

It has been shown in animals and humans that increased protein in the diet will cause renal hypertrophy. Is this bad? Well maybe, maybe not. It could simply represent a normal adaptive mechanism.

So... the literature evidence is actually scant.

Lets turn to case series - Many body builders regularly take around 2g/kg of protein per day. This has been going on for a long time - and there is not an epidemic of ex-body builders in the dialysis units around where I live.

So... if I were you - I would take a minimum of 1g of protein per kg of your ideal body weight per day. I would not hesitate to increase this. I think the ability to cause yourself potential kidney failure (the evidence for which is scarce) is likely to be limited in practical terms by your wallet and your ability to stomach that amount of meat (assuming you are getting your protein from meat).

I can't believe how simple barbell training is. Seriously. I thought it was some magical, dudes-only process that takes forever to get into. Not so! Push around as much weight as you can (with good form). Eat. Next time, try to push more. That's it! Why would anyone go for weightmachines and ab contraptions? This is sweet.

Awesome! It's awesome to see more women into lifting :P I hope you stick to it!

Level 2 Dwarf Warrior 

STR: 6 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 5 | WIS: 3.5 | CHA: 1

Height: 5'1"  Weight: 210 lbs.
Squat: 155x5x5, 195 1RM
Deadlft: 175x5, 180 1RM
Bench: 95x5x3, 100 1RM

"Now we stand together, Warriors unite;
Vikings forever, Fighting side by side"

-- "Norsemen of Steel" - Wulfgar

Yes it is so addictive isnt it!! Im hooked :)

Well done on trying it again

as for how sore is too sore - i would listen to your body. I've found that most of the time if i get back into it with DOMS it actually makes me feel better. But the day that i couldnt even get myself in the car because my muscles just wouldnt work i skipped the gym! haha

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3