Forums are back in action! ×

Advice from Nerds in the construction industry?

So I'm 18 years old and tomorrow I'm starting my electrical apprenticeship with the Union. From what I understand, it's gonna be a busy schedule, with plenty of overtime and night school starting in January. Does anyone have any idea of how physically demanding an electrical apprenticeship will be? At the moment, all I do is run 3-4 times a week, but I'd like to switch over to weightlifting or bodyweight exercises soon because I think it would be much more beneficial than the pure cardio I do now. I'm pretty confident that my work alone will get me into pretty good shape, but over time I'd like to transcend that and turn myself into a real fitness machine. 

Also, I understand that diet is much more important than exercise, but rest assured that I've slowly (but surely) been overhauling my diet to suit my own needs, so please keep the advice focused on exercise. Thanks so much!

The first time is always the hardest.

UK so YMMV

I used to spend all day wandering up and down 13 storey buildings with no elevator service and round sites with 1400m perimeters and other fun things.

I would eat breakfast at 0530, second breakfast at 0800, elevensies at 1100, a snack at 1400 and a large dinner when I got home at 1930. I wouldn't put on weight. THen I'd spend time designing, drawing and making operating & maintenance manuals. Then I'd still eat of the manner of being out. Then I'd pile on the pounds.

My advice would be, be aware of the amount of work your body is doing and eat for it. If exercise is part of that equation then factor it in. You will work long hours, you may be asked to work weekends. Try and stay away from working 7 days a week even if the overtime's good. Been there, done that. Paying the price now!

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

My dad was union electrician and he got great calves just from climbing ladders all day.  I'd say once you get used to the work, then start picking exercises that will help with the gaps.

I know you didn't ask about diet, but a lunchbox should keep you out of trouble.  A playmate cooler managed to survive a few decades on the job site.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |