Forums are back in action! ×

What kind of punk are you?

This question needs a little elaboration I think.

Here's the thing: the "punk" genre differs from other types in many ways:

1-The protagonists are usually ordinary, working class people as opposed to the aristocrats, CEOs or other wealthy people. They also tend to be cynical.

2-The world usually sucks. As in, it's polluted, corrupt, harsh, etc.

3- There is a huge emphasis on technology, which takes the place of magic, essentially.

4-The atmosphere borrows a lot from the decades between the 20s and the 50s.

So, again, what kind of punk are you?

Steam punk? (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea)

Diesel punk? (The Rocketeer)

Bio punk? (Bioshock)

Cyberpunk? (Deus Ex)

Atom punk? (Fallout)

Clock punk? (Anything designed by Leonardo Da Vinci)

I myself am a Diesel punk. Combustion engines rock!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Ahhh, I think some people misunderstood my intent. I meant "punk" genres in literature, movies, video games, etc. As in, what kind of setting do you prefer? My bad, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I was hoping to have a discussion about media in the various "punk" genres. What do you like most about your favorite genre? What's your favorite example of the genre in media? For instance, did anyone see the movie "The Rocketeer"? That's an awesome diesel punk movie, with the blimp, and the Art Deco style, and the planes!

and Jennifer Connely.

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

For me, I gravitate towards cyberpunk because I love tech heavy, hacker-ish style stuff (tech noir?). Anime like Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and Appleseed; and movies like Blade Runner, Twelve Monkeys, the Matrix films, Hackers, Equilibrium, and Fifth Element would be some good examples (I know, a few may not be "true" cyberpunk, but they're close enough).

Although it wasn't liked by many, do you think Sucker Punch would fit into a punk genre?

Back in the day, I loved video games like Flashback and Snatcher which I would toss into this category, but I haven't really played any modern games I'd classify as cyberpunk. I missed out on Deus Ex when it came out, so I need to put that on my list of games to play.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Ahhh, I think some people misunderstood my intent. I meant "punk" genres in literature, movies, video games, etc. As in, what kind of setting do you prefer? My bad, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I was hoping to have a discussion about media in the various "punk" genres. What do you like most about your favorite genre? What's your favorite example of the genre in media? For instance, did anyone see the movie "The Rocketeer"? That's an awesome diesel punk movie, with the blimp, and the Art Deco style, and the planes!

and Jennifer Connely.

the discussion you are wanting to have and the question you asked appear to be two different topics.

I deeply enjoyed the Rocketter- there is no way I would have called it diesel punk- there is nothing punk about to me.  I love the movie- but there is nothing punk to me in it. 

Lost boys- very punk- love it. 

I love cyperpunk stuff- and I love steam punk- those make me extremely happy. 

But what kind of punk I am and media punk are two different topics all together. 

Just saying. 

Oh, well, in that case ... I tend to like steampunk.  Actually, I kind of disagree with your OP about Steampunk - I find that generally, Steampunk is quite optimistic and even a little utopian (on the macro scale, not necessarily the micro).  It's got a very idealised view of the setting and the technology use in it.  People are bad, not the world, in steampunk, I find.

That said, give me a gripping Cyperpunk thriller and I'm entirely happy.  I like a lot of the concepts they use in cyberpunk, and I don't read a whole lot of thriller type stuff, so when I branch out into a decent, gritty cyberpunk it still feels a little novel (or at least, a refreshing change).

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)