Forums are back in action! ×

Who is your fitness hero?

Some of us have them, that one person that when we look at them we think "That's what I'm after".  Who is yours?  Bruce Lee?  Arnold? Ronnie Coleman?  Spezzy?

Why is that person the hero?

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

Honestly I don't have one, but really you people who enjoy endurance stuff and body weight work outs aren't really viewed as hero types at least by the media; seems like the media likes the explosive giants (at least in the US)

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I'm going to let my inner creeper emerge...

There's a girl I met doing a bootcamp workout that I've been constantly in awe of. I actually had a hard time not staring at her body once when we were hanging out because I've honestly never seen a girl that muscular in person. Definitely girl crush material. But I've also tried to learn a lot from her. She's hardcore endurance and actually won an ironman (holy fuck, like 1st woman to cross the finish line), but she's also a big crossfitter. It got me thinking that weight training can be extremely complimentary to endurance sports, especially for injury prevention.

It's no secret that I have a girl crush on Spezzy (I think we all do!), but recently I've also started loafing around on Waldo's battle log. I like his straightforward, no-bullshit attitude. It's not a trick, it's not a gimmick, it's just some science and math.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Arnold of course and my girl crush Larrisa Reis, although the fake boobies look weird on a muscular chest. My biggest hero is an old school friend Sharon Tonkin who competes in Australia bodybuilding. She is just gorgeous and scares people with her honesty and drive.

I strive for the kind of dedication they have/had for their sport to be the best.

Wait! What............?

I'm a Bruce Lee fan also.  There was a man with such complete self-awareness and the drive to go out and do exactly what he wanted because he knew he was capable (even if it was "hard").  Plus, he's a philosophy major (I love playing that card when people tell me philosophy is a joke :) ).  He trained it all:  mind, body, and soul, and he educated himself on the fields he wanted to pursue.  Definitely my fitness idol (as if having most of his books in physical copy on my bookshelf wasn't a clue).

• Like 1

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

I'm a Bruce Lee fan also.  There was a man with such complete self-awareness and the drive to go out and do exactly what he wanted because he knew he was capable (even if it was "hard").  Plus, he's a philosophy major (I love playing that card when people tell me philosophy is a joke :) ).  He trained it all:  mind, body, and soul, and he educated himself on the fields he wanted to pursue.  Definitely my fitness idol (as if having most of his books in physical copy on my bookshelf wasn't a clue).

I've always wanted to try Jeet Kune Do but there's no instructors on my side of Australia. 

EDIT: AH! there's one in Perth now, unfortunately I'm out in the desert, hopefully back to Perth soon.

I tend to draw a lot of influence from the mountain biking and climbing/bouldering scenes, I guess mostly because that's the kind of thing I'm into anyway. So it's equal parts 'that kind of look (bodywise) is what I'm aiming for' and 'I would love to be able to do what they do one day'.

And then there are the random folks I stumble across on the internet, like Damien Walters

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

I studied Wing Chun and JKD from about 10 years old until I was 20, so Bruce lee will always be a big inspiration for me. Not only his martial arts, but as some other people posted, his whole philosophy has influenced my life.

Another more recent inspiration of mine is Levi Meeuwenburg. He's a parkour/freerunning guy, capable os some amazing feats. I also feel a kinship with him for his interest in permaculture. I've been a Certified Permacutlure Designer for awhile, and to see anyone give a career as a A-list Hollywood stuntman to become a sustainable farmer is mega-inspiring.

• Like 1

Level Zero Elven Assassin

Esto vir fortis!

Someone I went to high school with: Racey Stacey!

Also, someone I know in California who lost more than half her bodyweight. It was life or death for her, and she did it by eating only 1000 calories per day (while being vegetarian!), walking/biking everywhere, and working out daily. She's kept it off for a couple of years now, too.

These are people that I know. If they can do it, I can too.

Someone I went to high school with: Racey Stacey!

Looked at her blog - definitely!

I am completely amazed by the work capacity of the women who CrossFit at a high level and the work ethic of the women I train with at my gym. I hope that when I'm 50, I can be half the inspiration (and in half as good of shape!) as my coach and the moms and grandmas who regularly show me what effort looks like! 

Beauty in Strength CF video and the 2011 CF games champs

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I'll go there.

Dana L. Bailey.

I adore her. 

Arnold is another big favorite of mine- man literally is the American Dream- carved his life to make it what it is. No questions- inspiration. 

AlsoThe Captain of the Endurance-  Earnest Shackleton.

http://www.south-pole.com/p0000097.htm rather long- he captained the Nimrod and the Endurance- but it's an amazing story.  

ze book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance:_Shackleton's_Incredible_Voyage

Also Ghengis Khan was a pretty effing bad ass dude. 

And all my friends who are serving- who constantly volunteer to go over seas to do the hard stuff. 

• Like 1

Ahh, you beat me to it! She's pretty awesome. And her delts and lats are much to be envied.

I feel the need to look her up now.

Edit: OMG she is amazing! <3 <3 <3

dana_bailey_profile.jpg

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

Tony Horton

For a guy his age, he's in phenomenal shape.  I'm not sure a single person has had a greater impact on the world of fitness than Tony in decades.  Even Rip pays homage to Tony and the working out hard revolution that he sparked.  Tony's programs are still the gold standard for at home workout programs.

I say this as a person that's never done any of his programs (though my wife has) and really have only used one single video of his (Yoga X).  I have mad respect for Tony and what he's accomplished.

• Like 3

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Ahh, you beat me to it! She's pretty awesome. And her delts and lats are much to be envied.

she is in PA- and they do WarHouse camps at her "gym"

I think it's like 150-200 for the day. I'm having serious issues trying to figure out how to get my fat ass out there.   I want to have her babies- but not actually- because- well I don't want babies- and she can't have them.

asexually- we'll reproduce- yeah- that. :D

• Like 2

I'm a dude I-Jo = what the fuck do *I* know???

Ten years living in The Gayborhood & I didn't learn shit about Fashion or Style, if you can imagine that?

heh- well I kind of love it- you don't have it though- you can love her everything else ;)

Ohhhh, pretty.

New girl crush!

yeah she's kind of adorable.