Forums are back in action! ×

Introverts, Social Misfits and the Terror of Talking to People

Before I forget, I decided to be wild and crazy and made a dating profile on Cupidmatch (is that the name...right?). The idea of talking to girls is already making me really nervous.

Omg. What if I weird out all them with my awkwardness? What if they question my past? Or I turn them away when they find out that I still live with my parents? Omg .....well I know one of my goals this challenge; get over my fear of talking to girls, who I might have a chance with.

Hey.  Props to you for getting out there!  It is probably exactly what I should do.  It takes a good bit of energy and a Potion of Heroism to do it.

The conclusion I should have arrived at many years ago is the internet is the way to go.  Had I done that, I would be happily divorced with three kids by now.  Hmm.  I am looking for a picture.  Let's see if I can find it.....

6566712_700b_v1.jpg

Socially awkward?  Why is that a deal-killer?

Live with Parents?  Hmm.  Older you are, the more of an issue, I suppose.  There is a time when it is the most economical choice and makes sense.  I was nearly 27.  People wondered if I was ever going to leave the house.  One day I came home.  "Hi Mom!  Hi Dad!  I'm moving to California!"  I thought it was more of an issue with my generation.  I crashed and burned one lady that way.  She suggested I do not reveal that kind of information.  This is when I need one of those lines chambered and ready to fire:  Seriously?  You are seriously going to judge me based on who I was 15 years ago?  I am doing very well now, thank you very much!  I make over 400 sp a week and am worth about 1600 gp.  I own two houses.  And I did not say a thing when you mentioned how old your first child was and I did the math on how old you were when you had him.

I think it's a lot less stressful when you think of someone as just a person you're chatting with, versus tacking on all the worry, self-doubt, and hyper-analysis that goes along with "prospective date" chatting.

I think this goes back to the internet.  More volume.  More people to meet.

Just be yourself and let the conversation take you where it will.  Don't stress out trying to carry the date (it's a two-way street) and try to unwind and enjoy yourself.

This sounds like good advice.  More later.

People say that an introvert needs to be in a relationship with an extrovert because they "complete" each other. **tries not to puke** An Introvert/Introvert relationship is my idea of an ideal relationship.

I remember meeting one extrovert.  "Talk to me."

"About? ....  Hang on.  Let me figure out what to eat.  Then I will talk to you."

That can work out okay - all you need is to hook up with another introvert. Then the two of you can spend long periods alone without bothering each other.

Then the two of you can spend long periods of time reading books or playing computer games or whatever it is you do by yourself and not worry about being disturbed.

I'm Alex and I have terrible people skills as well.

You are not alone.  Look around you.  Find somebody with good people skills and tell me how long it take you.  Go to the gym.  Everybody's got their ear buds.  Go to the restaurant.  People are on their phones instead of talking to each other.  Look at that pic a few pages back.  Everybody is on the train reading their newspaper.  I can't believe it took me this long to get it.

Almost nobody has any people skills.  The difference is you realize it and are trying to do something about it!  ;)

• Like 2

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Sam...I like you a little more with every post :) 

and divorced and kids are both overrated :P Had I waited till I was 27 to leave home...wait nevermind, my mom is a nutjob, that would have been worse. LOL! 

I am totally a lay it all out there kind of person, and that is NOT typical dating behavior...but the guys that don't get scared away by that, will be the ones that I want to go on dates with in the first place, in my estimation. Narrows the pool of sharks down to the good fish quite quickly :) 

• Like 2

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

I was actually out with my gym buddy today, but this discussion makes me think of it.  So here it is:  How to impress your lady on a dinner date:

Hmm.  I wonder what is on the menu.  Awesome!  They brought chips!

0LWlMy.jpg

"I'm not really that hungry.  I'll just have something light like a salad."

Well I am.  Insane Burrito for me, please!

4H8I9N.jpg

"Wow!  Clean plate club for you!  Here.  Have some of these wings."

Ikqm3J.jpg

Chomp!  Chomp!  Gulp!

Xa61mc.jpg

Dessert?  Yes, please!  Deep Fried Ice Cream!

"Ewww!"

NRkmLy.jpg

Look!  She even brought us two spoons!  Would you like one?

"No, thanks.  Um.  Enjoy."

Suit yourself, then

F0e4JN.jpg

Nom!

sUTBFx.jpg

Nom!

YIwRdx.jpg

All done!

P0iBh4.jpg

BURP!

mKAHM2.jpg

Excuse me!

T9sU4B.jpg

Uh, I think I'll pass on those chips.

WXvLWY.jpg

So, yeah.  Meeting girls really does not mix well with deadlift day.

On another subject, I thought for sure I would break 2000 calories on MFP for a meal like that.  I have to research different sites.  I ate 6 hours ago and still feel stuffed silly.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

I've never been shy on a date when it comes to food.

America-Gifs-hetalias-alfred-f-jones-ame

Could that be an issue on a date? Never had anyone look at me like a monster after that. Maybe I'd change that.

tumblr_m30i0n0DvR1qlsu84.gif

Oh well.

But I think the smart thing for me to do for first date is trivia night at a bar/pub. No movies for you. Mahaha

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

I've never been shy about food on a date too. And honestly, I think women who enjoy food are extremely attractive.

• Like 1

I always looked at a dinner date as an excuse to eat steak and drink beer.  If I found good conversation and company across the table, all that was really is icing on the cake, so to speak!

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

I tire of London very easily. I hate the crowds, the noise, the smell, the fact that every five feet seems to have someone standing there smoking, the deadly traffic congestion and the ludicrously expensive prices for everything. Went there recently for a three day training course. Was very happy to come home.

• Like 1

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

This is definitely one drawback when in an introvert/introvert relationship :unsure: It reminds me of what my one extrovert friend does. The text-based messages would usually read something like this:

Friend: "Hey u wanna come and have a few drinks with me?"

Me: "Heya =) I can't...I'm so lazy and I've almost beaten my high-score in Rocksmith"

Friend: "Too bad...I'm already outside your gate :D "

Ah, extrovert persistence. Annoyingly helpful at times. Reminds me a bit of how I met one of my best friends from college. The second week of classes, this girl shows up at my dorm room door holding a basketball.

Her: Hey, wanna shoot hoops?

Me (could die happily never having "shot hoops"): No.

Next day. Knock knock!

Her: Wanna play basketball?

Me: No.

Next day. Knock knock!

Her, spinning basketball on finger: Wanna go--

Me: I will go take a walk if you promise to never again ask me to play basketball.

And thus, a friendship was born.

• Like 8

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Sociopaths are generally extroverts. One reason for this is the inheritance of a nervous system that is relatively insensitive to low levels of stimulation. Individuals with this physiotype tend to be extroverted. They also have lower than average levels of adrenaline and seek experiences to heighten this. Extroverts and sociopaths are less affected by threats of pain or punishment, and they have greater tolerance of actual pain or punishment. Both sociopaths and extroverts will approach a situation that most people will avoid. These factors were confirmed by the HumRRO study conclusion that fighters were extroverted, spontaneous and relatively free from anxiety.

• Like 2

I must be the odd of here since I'm actually an ambivert or I like to think of it as that messed up love child of extrovert and introvert. I just recently found that out.

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

Aye, I'm similarly capable of bursts of extroversion.  But that's like dumping cold water onto the sleeping dead.  It's effective... to a point.

• Like 1

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

^^I will try this next time I meet somebody!  :D

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

9ffad1c3e2b587acc376e014f9bffbea_970x.jp

Oh my god, this is sooo accurate.  Except for me it's my couch and tv/computer combo!

• Like 4

9ffad1c3e2b587acc376e014f9bffbea_970x.jp

Oh my god, this is sooo accurate.  Except for me it's my couch and tv/computer combo!

I think I would feel this way, based on the 3 separate months of my entire life that I have lived alone.

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

3334d2408896e42c2198c4f87ae99426_970x.jp

*crying* My life summed up here. And especially now that bill collectors are after me. Why can't everyone not want to call me?

• Like 3

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

In my experience the ringing of my phone is nearly always indicative of bad news.  Someone died, incident at work, utilities company misapplied my payment, etc.  Pick one. 

Otherwise (thankfully) my phone rarely rings!

• Like 2

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

bah. Entirely unhelpful for me :( I don't want to meet a typical woman and I also am not a man...so tips on how to meet a typical woman as a man approached from the perspective of male/female dynamics, are useless. However, it sounds like a fantastic idea for all you boys looking to meet girls  :)

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Oh lord. I cannot ever finish an Elliott Hulse video because he takes so frigging long to get to the point. I almost see him as a caricature of how I, as an introvert, see the average extrovert as far as conversations go. Even when I try to watch his shortest videos I get about 45 seconds in before clicking the See More button in the hope that he has posted bullet points. Blah blah blah.

That's one of my big complaints about demonstration videos. So many guys stand there explaining and explaining instead of doing. There's this one squat video by an Allen (Alan?) Something that I love because it's about 20 minutes of explanation but all done as a voice over while the video just shows him squatting over and over again. It's so much more helpful than the long explanations and then two squats and end of video.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP