Forums are back in action! ×

Howdy! ... psst.. I'm lazy...

Hey guys! 

So I am new, completely new to this and SO worried I am going to flop.. 

I work in travel and every week someone is coming in to convince us that we need to use their hotel or airline or whatever... they bring snacks, lots of snacks. I'm not talking healthy, I'm talking doughnuts, cookies, chocolates, flapjacks - EVERYTHING bad for you. I've never said no! 

Last week I went for a body health assessment and was told I needed to shift 2 stone of weight and 12% body fat.. so here goes, time to face up and change my lifestyle.

I've done this before, I think we all have, but missing most is pure motivation and I need your support!

Starting by cutting out the bad stuff, trying the caveman diet and slowly introducing exercise into my life.

So, can you help me?!

*advance high five for those who can*

Hi, there! I'm new here too. So far everyone has been incredibly supportive and have awesome ideas to share so I think that will definitely help with the motivation piece!

I have the snack problem in my workplace too. We always have leftover food out and it's never healthy. Maybe try bringing a bag of your own healthy snack and leaving it at work so that it is always there for you? Not snacking at work is hard for me because a lot of the time it is a social thing or the food gets brought to meetings. This week I've been coming prepared with my own food and that has helped. I can still "participate" but still stay on track. Maybe that would work for you too?

Unapologetic

Level 1 Time Lord

~hoping to regenerate into someone new~

Intro First Challenge

Lose 200 pounds

17.6%
17.6%

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant.

-Eleventh Doctor

hey there! I second bringing your own food. I am in college but at my workplace on campus we always have a candy jar...since I'm still addicted to sugar it's hard to say no! But if I have eaten a good meal right before or even better have fruit on hand it's easier to resist.

yeah the people are so friendly here! everyone is working towards similar goals and the support is definitely there if you ask for it! welcome!! :)

Level 2 Human Assassin

STR 4| DEX 0| STA 5CON 4| WIS 4| CHA 1

My battlelog

Challenge: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

Welcome!  I will third this: everyone is so nice!!!!!

I've worked in the travel industry, and I agree, saying no to all the delicious food is sooooooooooooooo hard.  My current job isn't quite so insane in that way, but still, keeping snacks at my desk has been a tremendous help.  I also got into the habit of tracking all my food in advance if I know what I'm eating that day (pre-cooking is your friend) using MyFitnessPal, which makes it easier to say no somehow (adding more foods/searching for the right ones is a pain, and you watch the red numbers creep up in the sugar column etc and suddenly realize that doughnut isn't worth it...).

As far as exercise, the best thing you can do is just go out and do it.  Almost anyone can take a walk, and if you've done that you're already doing better than yesterday!  Steve's Beginner Bodyweight Workout is pretty simple, too, so that might be another thing to consider.

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Bringing your own food is awesome advice

I also found eating meals that proper filled me up and drinking plenty of water meant that when the snacks came round I couldn't fit it in even if I wanted to, I was so full.

Example, had my lunch about 4 hours ago and drank about a litre of water since. Someone has just come round with Krispy Kreme which I love but I am so full I can't eat one

I would definitely agree with the drinking water tip! It's what I do as well to help fill me up between meals! The community here is very supportive and you will definitely have a support team here to cheer you on!

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post

Also make sure to stay properly hydrated throughout the day.

I sit next to a 10 pound tin of chocolatey temptation daily and whenever anyone goes in for some the smell of chocolate smacks me in the face! With my coffee/my own snacks and making sure I hit 60 oz. of water daily I don't get the cravings I used to anymore (In fact I prefer granola/fruit to chocolate now, crazy!!)

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Well today your advice has been invaluable guys! 

I went to an airshow and was surrounded by all sorts of (whatprobablylookedsmeltbetterthanitlooked) food places.. I didn't even falter. I had prepared a big turkey salad and packed a little snack box of nuts for if i got peckish. Took 3 bottles of water and hey presto - turned down every little treat offered to me. 

great step forward! 

thanks folks :) 

• Like 2

Welcome! The hardest part of changing your habits and becoming healthier is usually the head game. Ours bodies can go for daily walks and survive without chocolate peanut butter cups just fine...but building and maintaining healthy habits is very hard mentally and emotionally, especially over the long run. Many people see initial success when the motivation is fresh and then a disruptive life event happens or they see a bit of success and grow complacent, and they fall back into old habits. You don't want to be one of those people!

There are a lot of strategies for beating the healthy living headgame, so you can get many suggestions from this awesome community of impressive people. Ultimately though, your success will depend on your ability to use your own self-knowledge to choose the best strategies for you. Do some honest self-examination and be realistic. Be brutally honest - what is it about yourself that makes you afraid of failing? What are your temptations and weak spots? If you've failed before, why? Don't feel guilty for past failures or character flaws--understand them, and learn from them. Plan in advance how you will handle it when your weak spots become a problem. Design a program that is suited not to the ideal person you wish you were, but to the person you actually are.

Some people need a workout buddy to keep them going. Some people keep a food log. Some people use wearable fitness monitors. Some people keep a journal where they write about their feelings and fears. Some people gamble money on a bet they'll stay on track. Some people like gyms, some like working out at home. Some people completely overhaul their diet to a new system of eating, like paleo, and some people just focus on eating more fruits and veggies and cutting out processed food. There are a lot of healthy effective ways to improve your health, but only you know which ones are a good idea for you.

Good luck! It sounds like you're off to a strong start. You can do it, you just need to do it! 

Level 2 Dwarf Assassin | STR 3 DEX 2 STA 2 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2

Current Challenge: Climb More, Eat Better, Make Music

My Battle Log: Lift Climb Run Farm