Forums are back in action! ×

cn3wton, Battle log of Ages

More progress, gotta fix the nose... or something. Somethings up with his face.

captainamerica3.jpg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Feels like the 2 eyes aren't at the same height. Also the red I nose eye and forehead is too red, if you soften it a bit it should help, like the color on the lip. Soften the edge or replace it with a more beige red color

Level 7 Yogini green witch

STR 3 - DEX 3 - STA 10 - CON 12 - WIS 13 - CHA 6

Previous challenges : 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6|| 7 || || 9 || 10 || 11

Current challenge : august 2020

Mantra : I am calm, I am love

1/29/15

Warm UP

400 M row

7MIN AMRAP

10 Su 

3 Pull Ups

10 Ab mat sit ups

5 Air Squats

WOD

20 Min AMRAP

100 SU

15 KB swings

20 Box Step Ups

25 Ground to overhead

completed 4 + 4 KB swings

Followed up by mobility work.

So this was a tough day. I did the WOD unbroken. I kept up a moderate pace the entire time, only pausing momentarily to ready myself or when I messed up the jump rope. I felt great in the gym again today. I am starting to think that its not just a coincidence, and that the BCAA's and upped protein are helping me out.

I head back at 530 tonight for mobility clas (if I decide to go).

Food break down so far

morning protein drink

BCAA's 1 scoop pre workout

post workout protein drink

Lunch - 2 rice cakes, 6 inch flat bread sub with chicken AND steak. Granola

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

1/30/15

Warm up

jump rope

2x 5 kb swings + 5 gob squats + 5 sdhp

strength/skill

5x100

5x125

5x150

5x175

5x180

5x160

5x150

Im not quite sure if I worked u to 180 or 185 for 5. I had originally written down 185. But as I started working down I looked at the plates and wondered if that was right. Couldn't remember if I had 2 35's 2 25's and 2 10's, or if instead of the 10's I had 5's and 2 1/2's. Anyways I am going to aim to up it by 10-15 lbs next week.

WOD

8 min amrap

burpees

front squat

[3,3-6,6-9,9-...]

ended up finishing four rounds (12 of each) plus 11 burpees

Food break down

breakfast was a protein drink

pre workout bcaa's

post workout protein drink

lunch 2 rice cakes and some pretzels... yea...

Not to proud of the pretzels...

So today I ate like crap... Went to the gym to donate blood as they where suppossed to be hosting a blood drive, but I got there and it had been canceled. 

I did stop into a new gallery and talked to the owner about a bunch of different stuff. Just keeping my options open.  Then I stopped to the old one and it looks like the classes have a actual chance of starting on the 11th. Enough people have actually signed up to make it worth my time! Not getting too excited, but it would be nice if it works out.

2/2/15

Snow storm prevented me from getting to the gym today.

Ate like an idiot...

Dissapointing day.

Aww Bro. Make it up with some GPP by way of shoveling snow. I wish we'd get some of that here.

Woke up early to help my father get his truck unstuck... Does that count?

Back on track tomorow!

2/3/15

Warm Up

Jump Rope

10 PVC pass throughs + 5 Band Pull Aparts + 5 air squats

10 PVC pass throughs + 5 Band Pull Aparts + 5 Overhead plate squat

10 PVC pass throughs + 5 Band Pull Aparts + 5 OH pvc squat

Strength/Skill

Overhead Squat 1 rep = 1 1/3 + 1/2 + Full squat

1x35

3x45

2x55

2x65

Really focusing on form. Ensuring that the bar doesnt go too far forward. There where a bunch of rules. If you arms arent straight you have to stay at the same wieght, if you go up on your toes you have to do the same weight again. 

It was tough but rewarding.

WOD

EMOTM - 12 Minutes

7 Burpees

8 Dead stop deadlift (115 lbs)

the workout was good but not exhausting.

Did a lot of decluttering. Sold all my comics (most where worthless, other than the batman 1 printing of the new 52). Put a few that where worth money on consignment instead of selling them outright. Also dropped off a bunch of magazines. If they sell they will give me some in store credit. Good to get that stuff out of the house!

Went back for mobility, did hip opening stuff. Some really good stuff! They are gonna start offering the class every week, I'm really looking forward to it.

2/4/15

Warm up

5 Push ups + 5 strict press + 5 Push Press + 5 lunges per leg

Strength/Skill

Push Press

5x75

5x85

5x95

5x105

4x110 (failed last attempt due to poor form)

5x110

5x100

5x90

Some would not have attempted to try reaching a new PR, but I am not one of those people. 

WOD

3 Rounds not for time

30 air squats

25 ab mat sit ups

20 lunges

15 toes to bar on floor

10 pull ups with blue band

10 push ups (hand release)

So this was suppossed to be all focusing on form. Making sure that every rep was as good as the first. So we where not timed. We even stayed longer than the class was supossed to run. I estimate that it took me 20-25 minutes.

2/5/15

6 min EMOTM 

20 single unders

5 burpees

WOD

Death by Egometer (rowing)

Row 1 cal for every minute on the clock (1 cal in the first minute, 2 in the second, etc)

Completed 14 minutes, on the 15th I got to 14 cals with probably one more pull on the bar to get to 15... so mad. I was the second to last person off the rower, so I was pretty pumped about that.

Skill/Strength 

Push up progressions

Did 3x regular push ups and deficit push ups.

Trainer asked if anyone wanted to try handstand push ups, two girls who do gymnastics did. I said I would give it a go, but I had never been able to kick up onto my hands before. So the first time I tried my hands where too far away from the wall. But I ended up in a handstand! For like 2-3 seconds I was just kind of sitting there. The trainer laughed and grabbed my legs and said "Your a bit too far out from the wall, your kind of stuck in purgatory there." And slowly pushed my legs back so I could feel how far away from the wall I was (about a foot or so.) I tried 3-4 more times but couldnt pull it off, so I called it done for the day.

Other news. I totally didn't do yesterdays update today... totally didnt. Been playing a bit of Nosgoth the past few days. Pretty fun. I rarely game on the PC so thats saying something. If anyone games on PC and wants to play we could totally do that. Food has been going ok, had sushi for lunch today and 2 rolls... 

In other news I saw this today.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/celebrity/plus-size-model-ashley-graham-bikini-sports-illustrated/ar-AA8YWVy?ocid=ansET11

I don't know how I feel about this. I will say that this woman is definitely beautiful. But I like how they are saying "plus size women are beautiful too, look even these super hot dudes think this chicks hot!" Seriously wheres the plus sized dude? Not that I really care, I think this whole things great. I am a fan of curvy woman (and I cannot lie). 

I totally have to try this. I've never heard of this workout so I have no sense of how tough it would be.

I went in completely blind. I honestly didn't think I would get past 10 as my endurance sucks and I hate rowing.

How many calories can you burn in minute? I'd guess it gets hard pretty fast.

Its tough to judge. If I was fresh, sprinting for only one minute maybe 20 or more. If your doing it multiple times it would be less. I will tell you this.

Minutes 1-5 where cake walks for everyone. Easily done within 20-30 seconds. You had equal or more rest time with minimal effort. From 6-10 it started to get a bit tougher. I was finishing a few seconds ahead of the women in the class (and one of the other guys). This due to strength differences. So 6-10 is when the challenge starts hitting. Most people where getting more work in than rest. For some reason I was actually staying close to 30 seconds throughout. I must have been pushing harder or something. 10+ is where it really becomes a workout. Honestly for me 13 was where it got tough. On the 12th minute i was in under 40 seconds, on 13 I was as well but I was feeling it. I  had barely cleared the screen before I had to start again. I remember the trainer coming over when I was working on the 14 cals and saying "Your doing awesome, your gonna pass 15 at this rate. You just did 8 calls in less than 30 seconds you've got this." And I honestly should have. I was seriously 1 chain pull away from getting the 15th rep in. I was frustrated. Thinking back to the one or 2 times where I slowed down or messed up the form just a bit and lost those precious moments.

Its definitely and interest thing to do every now and then. It tests a lot of different things. A good benchmark I would say.

2/6/15

Warm Up

30/30 Battle Ropes

2x 5 kb swings + 5 gob squats + 5 SDHP

Strength/Skill

Deadlift

5x127.5

5x152.5

5x177.5

5x187.5

5x195

5x180

5x165

So I did something new with this. I added the smallest change plates to my warm up. So technically with every lift I am lifting more than I did last week. As the trainer said its kind of "cheating". You are sneaking up on the weight. So my set before my new 5RM is actually a new 5RM! Last week my 5RM was 185 (possibly only 180 due to some possible miscalculation of plates) so before I even tried for a new max I had set one. I like this idea alot. So I think next week I am going to add 2.5 again to what I would normally do as a warm up set. So it would be 155, 180, 190, 197.5, 205. Now that I am looking at this I may need to drop 1 warm up set... I think I used to always only do 3... Hmm. As I approached the last set (5@195 shy guy came over and pushed me on. Saying "I know you got 200 in ya so you got this!") 

Also as I was doing my cool down I was feeling super spent. So I started my 180 got to the second rep and the trainer comes over and said "ok corey stop." And he slightly changed my form. He said it wasn't awful, but I should tweak something a bit. So it's good to see he was looking out. And it was feeling a bit different than my max set. I think its partly becuase I lose focus on the cool down. Which I shouldnt...

WOD

10 Min AMRAP

8 Thrusters

60 Single Unders

Score - 5+6Single Unders

I still feel super shakey on the thrusters. I know its all about getting my elbows up as I come up from out of the squat... so at least I know what to work on. It just stinks as it really slows me down. But I am still getting a great workout. 

Then I threw all the work away with how I ate. Started off good. After the gym some friends got together to play magic. I grabbed a salad. Then a friend brought cookies. The 4 of us ate a container that had 11 servings. Then I had pizza... 

On the plus side the new decks I made dominated. So that was cool.

I am sharing this image because it was on my favorite archer quotes. Of all time.

475fdb1e2ac711747fcd60f786f45664.jpg

OH MAN SO MANY MORE

cd54b49e36891a6d26c75116ee2fa6cb.jpg

krieger_also_yes%255B1%255D.jpg

fc,550x550,white_black.jpg

ok I'm done... I really gotta go to sleep now...

So after a nice nights sleep I woke up and feel a bit under the weather. I think its because of all the junk I ate yesterday. So as I sit here thinking about all the stuff I had planned to do I decided to vent/post my thoughts here on my battle log.

Again I find myself frustrated by the internet, and how one misunderstanding or poorly worded post can snowball out of control and take on a life of its own. 

I am seriously starting to love going to the gym. I mean wake up in the morning and being all like "YEA ITS DEADLIFT DAY!" that seriously has never happened before. So I am really excited about that. Continuing to branch out and meet new people at the gym. Its pretty cool.

The other day my mom saw me and said "You look different." I said how so? And she said "Your waste is even smaller but somehow your shoulders are even bigger. Don't go getting too muscular, thats not attractive." So yea I was really taken back by that and didn't really know what to say so I just let it go.

Its getting closer and closer to the re-opening of the restaraunt. And it looks like I will have to go back for another season... not happy about that...

I haven't done art at all this week. If I am feeling better I am going to get on and work on something.

I am always shocked when I find an old t shirt. Its wierd to think that I am now fitting into shirts I wore in early high school to late MIDDLE school. (So like 8th grade). But now I can feel my shoulders starting to grow so they are getting a bit tight up top. 

I have been reading the dark tower series by Stephen King. And I honestly don't see what the big deal is. I mean they are good and interesting, but I feel like the book feels a bit forced. Especially the second one so far. But I will say all in all I am enjoying them very much.

I think thats all for now. I had chicken covered with almond breading (so paleo and low carb!), going to grab a snack and rest a bit.

Deadlift Day - it is pretty awesome to wake and be excited for anything. Deadlift day is a great thing to be excited for. I find myself getting excited about pushing out one more rep today or trying some new circuit combo I never have done before.

mom - people say dumb things because they don't know any better. I've heard and said similar dumb things. You do you, you're mom will just be happy that you're healthy and happy.

restaurant - I don't know anything about the restaurant you work at. Is it the hours, the exposure to food, the people or something else that bugs you?

Dark Tower - I listened to the dark tower and read the most recent one. They are inconsistent at best. It's a mishmash of a bunch of neat ideas with a few stolen and a few less neat ideas all of which are executed to a mediocre level. It's my understanding that if you're a King fan, it's littered with shout outs to you. It's like walking the back stage of a theater that only produces plays of his stories. Roland is a cool character but what happens to him at the end of book 1/beginning of book 2 never really becomes all that I think it should. I think it's just King trying to prove that nothing is sacred in this story.

I've taken a hiatus but need to go back to Stephen Erikson's novel series. Now that is EPIC fantasy. Also a friend of mine has been raving about the Powdermage series so I need to try that soon. The only other western/fantasy cross over I know is Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson (which has a sequel coming out this year). I don't think it held up to the preceding Mistborn books though. Just throwing those out there as a couple other takes on fantasy, depending on what parts of Dark Tower draw you in.

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

I will have to check those books out. I devour books so it's always good to have an ever expanding list to pull from. I will try to remember them but I may be asking you their titles and your suggestions again in the near future.

As far as the restaraunt goes its a mix of things. The owners are awesome people outside of business hours. But everything goes to shit once the doors open. My co workers are generally ok people, but theres always drama in any work situation. The hours are probably the worst part, as they don't hire enough waiters to cover you if you need time off. Getting a day off is literally like pulling teeth. I am going to tell them I cannot work wed or saturday, as I will be teaching classes those days. And that should help as its easier to get time off from the gallery on saturdays. I actually enjoy being a waiter most days, I love interacting with people and the food is really good so there are rarely any problems with food quality. It is partly due to the fact that I have 2 degrees under my belt and can't help but feel that after 6 years of school I should have a better job by now...

Well looks like the damn snow will be preventing me from getting to the gym on yet another front squat day...

Not happy right now, not happy.

Just remember this next time you have a few bucks to spare. Start an envelope and move your squat routine into your own home. I have a ridiculously well outfitted gym and I save money every single year buy buying less than half the membership cost in new equipment.

In the mean time, box jumps on whatever can take the beating.

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

So I had to take my mom's cat to the vet today. She was worried that it was sneazing so I got to brave the elements.

It was worse out than I thought. I had thought that maybe if the trip had went smoothly I would attempt to go to the gym. 

It did not go smoothly, I almost got ran into twice....

Hopefully this lets up by tomorow.

So I will post an update for yesterday as soon as I can. Yesterday after the gym I basically just played evolve, it's an amazing game.

I was not told however, that today I have a funeral to attend. so I am going to be rushing after that to prepare everything for my class tonight. So no gym today... sadness...