Forums are back in action! ×

Rebels Who Play Video Games

Borderlands is such a good idea! I never even got the whole way through the second one. So that is what I will try to do this weekend :)

ive got to complete the DLC that i have (and get the final skills of my toon might re-roll another one).

I love Jack, but my favorite person is Tiny Tina by far i cant wait to play her D&D style DLC!!!

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

I really liked SWTOR when it first launched. Got on a server with some good friends and had a great time! Then it went F2P and I lost interest. F2P tends to bring in a lot of crap as far as players go and constant ads selling you crap. I kinda lost interest, but have wanted to go back to it from time to time.

Nothing caught me like WoW did when I had friends to play with. I played FFXI a good bit, but it wasn't until WoW that I got sucked in and played constantly. A few of us jumped into AoC as soon as it launched, made it through the rocky launch and played awhile until we hit the buggy and incomplete end game....then lost interest.

FFXIV was like WoW to me as well at first. I was sucked in and played hours and hours a day. Had a blast, then life took over and I haven't really played much. It also lacked what I had in WoW since I couldn't get any of my friends to join in since several of them are MMO'ed out.

i know what you mean i refused to get SWOTR because of what WOW was to me.... then the elder scrolls online came out. i waiting for a few months (then found out some friends played) and caved. after about two weeks and only logging a handful of times (and was only level 7) i realized i didnt have the time to play such a game (or willing to pay each month to play so little), but when i get some free time i am looking at trying out neverwinter since ive been listening to D&D podcasts and have an urge to try D&D, but have no one here to play with so i will go for a virtual D&D game :D

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

i know what you mean i refused to get SWOTR because of what WOW was to me.... then the elder scrolls online came out. i waiting for a few months (then found out some friends played) and caved. after about two weeks and only logging a handful of times (and was only level 7) i realized i didnt have the time to play such a game (or willing to pay each month to play so little), but when i get some free time i am looking at trying out neverwinter since ive been listening to D&D podcasts and have an urge to try D&D, but have no one here to play with so i will go for a virtual D&D game :D

Awhile back I saw a friend playing Neverwinter and despite the F2P nature of it, I decided to give it a shot. I liked it, but didn't play too much since he and I never seemed to be on at the same time. He then switched over to Star Trek Online. Point is, I have a toon in Neverwinter and wouldn't mind giving it another shot :) Too bad you can't make it on the 12th for the last minute DC meetup. I need a nerd to talk gaming with here.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

yea ill give it a shot and we shall see from there :). yea work happens... it seems like there are quite a few of us who are active and interested so hopefully we can make it a once or twice a month thing to do meet ups!

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

i realized i didnt have the time to play such a game (or willing to pay each month to play so little)

This is the one thing I actually really love about F2P games.  I can take a break for 6 months and not care because I'm not paying for it.  Then I log back on randomly and boom, all my characters are right where I left 'em.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

1. I love F2Ps for that reason (and others). If the game ends up not being what you wanted, or your schedule changes so that you can't play to make the subscription fee worth it, then there is no skin off your back and you can come back to the game when you have time without worrying about the financial impact in your daily life (games can add up!).

F2P platforms still need development for studios to figure out non-annoying ways to present it. There seems to be a number of games that are F2P/P2W (pay-to-win). Warframe, when first getting started at measly rank 0, seemed like a P2hF (Pay-to-have-Fun) until they recently gifted me a Gamma Paint Set... now there are colors to choose from that include black and white *le gasp*

Pay-to-Play platforms don't seem to attract consistent, fresh players and the playerbase stagnates after a few months. It seems like gaming-business platforms are at an awkward transition because F2P/P2W seem most common with Premium markets, Patron statuses, extra customizations (like more inventory! amg, arbitrary!) and still lingering subscription platforms being attempted (Wildstar, FFXIV, ES:O).

If games know what is good for 'em, they switch to F2P - probably because they eventually realize that they're going to make more $$$ combining the two audiences. Those that are willing to already pay tend to persuade themselves to put post-subscription fees towards premium offerings instead - if anything, they shift to a different pay-for game and remain in the overarching marketplace as an old-school consumer.

The likelihood of a F2P player shelling out cash for a digital outfit is a much higher profit margin (10 people paying $10/month for all digital content offered < 10 people paying 10$/one time for 3-4 digital pieces of content) than the likelihood of an aging game convincing new players to blindly Pay-to-Play a game that is drifting into obscurity (*SWTOR*). #wild-speculation

The last Pay-to-Join game I played was Guild Wars 2. I played many hours being a crafting fiend... world map PvP is pretty fun in that game. But would I go back in time and buy it again, knowing the game that it is, now? Nope. I'd sooner try out Firefall. Luckily, since GW2 is a one-time payment platform, I /can/ go back whenever I feel like it and not worry about restarting a subscription. So, there's that.

2. Neverwinter; I have a toon (mebe 2? I haven't played in a long time) on Neverwinter. I liked messing around with the Create Your Own Quests creator tool. The downside of Neverwinter for me is that it lags horribly when I go into highly populated areas. Animation graphics are pretty awright though... a lot of sparkly effects too.

If y'all are gonna play some Neverwinter, I'd be down for playing it too.

@NikaNika - Well said....damn work getting in the way of me providing a proper response, so I'll have to come back when I can. I'm with you on some, but not all. As for Neverwinter....I'd be down. Definitely need a newish virtual world to escape to these nights as work is getting the best of me these days.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Whether it was F2P, or P2P or P2J formats; for me it is all about content.

I played Everquest, hard. Weaving songs as my bard on Tarew Mar until Planes of Power was released and I started to have misgivings. In the end I could always justify the $10.00 a month, as I dumped more time into that game, and it was a value of entertainment vs. value of 'cash' really. $10 could get you a movie of about 2 hours; and when I was dumping two hours most nights? Easily? I couldn't understand people would get their shorts in a bind over it.

P2J: games you buy once and that is it. Nothing new here, I'll pay for a game once if it is decent. Team Fortress 2? Paid $30~ when if FIRST came out, 1000+ hours; a grand investment, same with BC2 at around 300+ hours and other games that fall into that range of hours played. If I had played GW2 and spent 300 hours, it is worth, in my opinion the cost of the game.

F2P: Completely dependent. Example, World of Tanks, I've spent money on the game, but only after I achieved a Tier 6 tank (Go go VK3601H!) This, particular game has stuff you can spend money on, tanks, certain types of ammo cammo, etc. One thing I believe it does well, and you'll get those that 'complain otherwise' is that it is not Pay to Win. Tanks you buy with real money are pale compared to fully outfitted and equivalent crews. KV-5 has a horrible standard pen for a Tier 8, and dire weak spots. It is true most newer players have no idea where to shoot, but that requires a non-monetary investment of 'research and game mechanic learning'

Anyhow, I rant to much. I enjoy F2P, but I've played far to many that have been substandard 'games' in of themselves, or lean to much on giving those that pay perks that drastically outshine those that don't. I'm all for supporting devs, and a good F2P game I LOVE giving money for their contribution to killing my boredom, just as much as I'll get PO'ed if a P2J game ends up being a bad investment.

/end rant. :)

• Like 1

-Purple_Panda

i have resolved not to play any pay to play games as i dont see the investment worth it any more. (especially since i have about $300-$400 games on steam that i havent even touched yet). i agree that content is very importnat and I have looked more and more into the lower budget indie games (minecraft, rouge legacy, Kerbal space program). Minecraft for example i spent $26 on it and it sucked two weeks of my life away and many more indirectly (the minecrack guys). Indie games are really hit or miss since they are so low budget, but you have many more gems of games in this than a lot of AAA titles that have come out (which are becoming nothing but clones and sequals). sequals are fine, but when these companies focus on how the game looks more than content and how the game is played you tend to loose me (such as CoD). I used to be a huge CoD fan played up to black ops. i stopped playing because i loved the single player of most of the first ones, but then the SP became short and i could beat it in one sitting and was left wanting...

that being said i have been looking into BF4 (havent played since BC first came out) i cant count the ammount of hours i poured into '42 and BF2 when the mod became an actual game! MEMORIES!!!!

/end rant

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

that being said i have been looking into BF4 (havent played since BC first came out) i cant count the ammount of hours i poured into '42 and BF2 when the mod became an actual game! MEMORIES!!!!

/end rant

I agree with everything thing you said; I'll hit on the BF4 topic though. I've played Battlefield since 1942, and I've owned every Battlefield (and expansion) since that has been on PC. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on PC was, for me, the epitome of the BF series in terms of balance and game play. My clan/group and friends were beyond pumped for BF3, and it didn't let us down in the beginning; we gamed up a storm; however, they didn't fix bugs fast enough and we were becoming jaded. We moved onto other games during this 'jaded period' and came back sporadically. BF4 was spoken of and a bunch of us were annoyed that they would release a BF4 so shortly after BF3, and BF3 had not had some glaring bugs fixed.

If there is one thing EA builds expertly, it may not be games, but it is hype. They drew us in, and we bandwagon like fangirls/boy everywhere. I even spent a good bit extra on the Premium and Presale crud for BF4

I'll put it this way. BF4 is fun, no doubt, I will not tell anyone going for a BF game to 'No! Don't do it!' what I will say? BF4, much like BF3 was starting to become, is simply crammed full of 'fluff'. It is a larger scale CoD, with vehicles; it's hard for me to say it, but BF:BC2 was great. BF3 was good, and BF4 has continued to let me down. :( I've drop a long period of time into BF4, notedly, but a part of me wishes I had spent my money, AND time elsewhere, not because it is a bad game, but it didn't live up to what it could have been, and .. and.. feels. Levelution was just scripted fluff, and environments weren't nearly as destructible as they were in BF:BC2... just let downs.

I'm not a fan of CoD, but BF4 has drove a spike in my heart of BF love that is probably going to make me ignore the next game completely at this rate. :\

-Purple_Panda

ah. yea seems to have come to the AAA curse... it has become too big for its own good... it is sad that games end up that way.... which is why there are few games that i will buy at release the last one i did that with was BL2. and the new wolfenstein (about 3 weeks after launch during summer sale damn you 75% off steam sales....) i typically only wait until a game is at least half off (unless i have done my DD and looked past the hype) i will wait at least one to two weeks before i make a decision. i hate pre-order shit i totally agree with what total biscut has said about pre-orders IE you made this for the game, but took it out to extort more money from your fan base. that being said i have thought about doing pre-orders for those games that i really want and the extra stuff is physical and limited.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Ended up playing Guacamelee this weekend because I had downloaded it last month on XBOX Games for Gold some such nonsense. That game is awesome. I was not shooting things, but the button-mashing/combo-system was super satisfying.

• Like 2

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

ive been meaning to get back into Minecraft... im thinking of doing a survival castle build thingy.... or i might continue with my mountain ravine lava house (most of it is lit using lava through glass!

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Aside from the fact that I agree with most of what is written on this wonderful site, I was also drawn to Nerd Fitness because video games are my thing. Not so much comics, 90s cartoons, yeah, sure, there are a few, but it's really the vidjagames.

1) I play on PS3 and PC. I don't expect that to change, due to finances, and time constraints.

2) PS3 username, or whatever it's called officially, is AlexTheNextOne, and on Steam I'm "APImagine". Not sure if it's case-sensitive, I always write it out like that even though it always shows up as "apimagine". I'm also on GOG, which I am a HUGE fan of.

3) I'm playing Tales of Symphonia Chronicles on PS3 right now, though that's kind of on hold for the moment, and Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition on PC. I'm finally going to beat that frigging game, since I couldn't do it back when I was a young teen.

Also, I'm a big medieval fantasy, RPG type of gamer, though they aren't the only games I play. I'm big on making customized characters, and RPGs with numbers. Turn-based or real-time, doesn't matter.

• Like 1

1-xbox360 and PC.

2- zombielord5000

3- guild wars 2

Hey,

I've been pondering this thread for a while. I love the community of NF. The rebels are some of my favorite people. I also happen to play my fair share of video games, but don't have a huge friends list to pull from when I want to play co-op or multi-player.

So I wanted to throw this thread out into the wild and see what/who comes to the surface.

If you are interested in being part of a NF gaming community of sorts, answer these questions three:

1. What platforms do you currently play video games on?

2. What are your gamer tags on those platforms?

3. What games are you currently playing?

and...

Add yourself to the Rolodex: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N-dn1CyJHvpr2yRJrkofutnElAGIasN1YmLDND5gQ30/edit#gid=0

-The Muscle Professor-

OtherWorldIron.com 

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. -Rumi-

Anyone considering doing the Extra Life 24 hour gaming marathon to benefit Children's Miracle Network Hospitals?

I've been wanting to do this for a few years now and think I might try it this year. Would anyone be interested in forming a NerdFitness team?

I'd never heard of that before, but it's a pretty cool deal.  And, for those like me who won't give to fake charities, Children's Miracle Network actually ranks quite high with their percent of donations used.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Now that's a thread I've been looking for... Loving multiplayer and co-op but I can't seem to find people to play with and my online experience says no to strangers :P Username on Steam is the exact same as my nickname here. Added my name on the spreadsheet, feel free to add me. Especially anyone interested in tagging along for L4D or BL2, I'm game :)

Sample list

Recently Finished Games: Shadowrun returns+Dragonfall, The Witcher, Guacamelee, Portal

Currently Playing: Silent Storm, Farcry 3 Blood Dragon, Mass Effect, WH40K Space Marine

Owned: Left 4 Dead 1+2, Borderlands 2, Trine 1+2, Mark of the Ninja

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Anyone else hyped for No Man's Sky? I seriously cannot wait for that game to come out.

I'm supremely curious about that game. I've never delved into Minecraft or DayZ and other such games, but I really like what I saw of No Man's Sky at E3. So pretty... I could just wander around doing stuff in that game.

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

SOO many games i want to play on PS4, but i have gone back to the PC master race... if there are more people willing to play PS4 online games i might have to sucumb and get another console (i has a WII U but since no one plays that it is for the wife and I)

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler