Forums are back in action! ×

NaNoWriMo?

There's been some discussion of this on my challenge thread, so I thought I'd send out the call.  Any rebels thinking of taking a hack at NaNo next month while still trying to maintain healthy lifestyles?  The last time I did NaNo, I think I binge-ate chocolate chip cookies and got a Cinnabon after work every day.................................................... probably not going to do that anymore!!!!

Anyway, it'll fall in the next challenge cycle, but if there are a few of us insane souls, I was thinking of starting an accountabilibuddy group for those trying to write and work out and work and take care of their families and take over the world because why not all at once.

• Like 7

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Part of my challenge this time round is brushing up on my typing skills and actually make some sort of an outline before I start writing. Pantsing is only fun up to a point.

This will be my fourth NaNoWriMo.

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

Oh, thank you. I'll have to pass, I guess. My genre is short stories.

Not that you couldn't write a 50k compilation... ;)

• Like 1

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I'm doing NaNo this year. This year is my fourth year doing it (I took November off last year as I had a huge move that I organised by myself) and I am determined to 'win' this year. I have so far only made it to the 50k word count once. My main survival tool for NaNo is tea so may make some switches to fruit and herbal teas.

Also, if you still want to keep fit try doing 10 push ups every 1000 words or so!

I would be interested in an accountabilibuddy group :)

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

I did it (and won it) ahahahahahahahahaha 11 years ago.  And I've found reasons not to do it since.... but if I get this group up and running, I'll definitely let you all know!  And, you know, if/when I have a NaNo account again.................

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads

I've heard of NaNoWriMo from friends that have been participating for years now (and I've been making fun of them, calling it MaNoWariMo) but never tried one. I'm not much of a writer, but I've been into telling stories (a.k.a. running RPGs) for over a decade and half already. My job involves plenty of writing anyway and NF has gotten me into the habit of writing stories and challenging myself, so this time I'm tempted to take up this one...

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

DR - do it!  It's such a fun experience, I really wish I hadn't taken a decade off, to be honest.

And wow, so much interest!  What do you think about the timing for a group?  After all, the next challenge starts 1/3 of the way through November...

Maybe we can have a PVP thread that we start in November (complete with daily wordcount races?????) and then carry over into an accountabilibuddy group for next challenge?  I'm open to ideas!

• Like 2

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads

Oh jeez I would LOVE to do this but I know I'm just setting myself up to be hyperventilating into a paper bag multiple times a week by overextending myself.  And then getting cranky at myself for not having enough time.  And then losing my creativity by pushing too hard and writing some pretty craptastic stuff.

About how many pages is 50,000 words?  Like a hundred?? ;_;

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Oh jeez I would LOVE to do this but I know I'm just setting myself up to be hyperventilating into a paper bag multiple times a week by overextending myself.  And then getting cranky at myself for not having enough time.  And then losing my creativity by pushing too hard and writing some pretty craptastic stuff.

About how many pages is 50,000 words?  Like a hundred?? ;_;

google says about 200 pages as formatted manuscript, so single spaced, yeah probably about 100 or so.

• Like 1

Do the thing

2024 Intentions Roadmap

I did my first NaNoWriMo in 2006 and won it. Since then I've taken part every year (including a few half-assed attempts) and only "won" one more time.

I'd love to have a NaNo accountability group here, so count me in!

Warg

Level 1 Lycan Assassin

STR 4 | STA 2 | DEX 0 | CON 1 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge

"If you don't know what you want, you end up with a lot you don't" - Chuck Palahniuk

100 pushups

25%
25%

200 squats

30.5%
30.5%

I thought a lot about this last night and while I know in my heart of hearts that there's no way I'd be able to complete 50,000 words (and, more importantly, I don't want to overwhelm myself with pushing to do it), I'd still like to write and challenge myself to a mini NaNo if that's okay/acceptable/an option.  Maybe 25,000 could be my goal. :]  I love to write and MISS IT dearly but finding time to do it is its own challenge sometimes!!

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

I thought a lot about this last night and while I know in my heart of hearts that there's no way I'd be able to complete 50,000 words (and, more importantly, I don't want to overwhelm myself with pushing to do it), I'd still like to write and challenge myself to a mini NaNo if that's okay/acceptable/an option.  Maybe 25,000 could be my goal. :]  I love to write and MISS IT dearly but finding time to do it is its own challenge sometimes!!

I tend to use nano as a guideline, more than a deadline.  I've hit the 50k mark a few times by the end of November, but I rarely stop there.  It's more like a 6 week challenge here is for me.  Redeveloping consistency, rather than pushing myself over the limit.  I see no reason why you shouldn't go for 25k.  Any goal accomplished is still an accomplishment, after all.

• Like 1

Do the thing

2024 Intentions Roadmap

I tend to use nano as a guideline, more than a deadline.  I've hit the 50k mark a few times by the end of November, but I rarely stop there.  It's more like a 6 week challenge here is for me.  Redeveloping consistency, rather than pushing myself over the limit.  I see no reason why you shouldn't go for 25k.  Any goal accomplished is still an accomplishment, after all.

^this

tumblr_inline_mzgi4hvB5L1sp3m71.gif

• Like 5

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads

You know where I stand on this: I'M IN! And need to start plotting out my newest story idea. Not that I want to abandon the old one, but I haz ideas.

I was thinking of formatting my November challenge towards writing at the same rate I'd be writing NaNo with since NaNo ends before the challenge does, so... write 12,000 words a week (more accurately 11,667 words a week) or until I actually finish the novel? But I'm up for PVP challenge into an accountabilibuddy group -- anything to keep me writing with no excuses! :D

• Like 2

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

Ooh, I'm in!  Now to figure out which novel idea to write....

Can you not start accountabilibuddies between challenges?  I have no idea what the policy is.  I'm a researchy type of nerd; I'll go find out.

Yikes!  You are right!  The accountabilibuddies forum is attached to the six-week challenge, which won't begin until Nov 10.  The forum is unlikely to be up 2 weeks early.  Our best bet is an open PvP, since you can set specific dates for it and not attach it to the challenge.

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Vicki, we should brainstorm during our unpacking party, I could use a sounding board!

I can definitely make us a PVP near the end of October, then we can decide closer to the next challenge start if we want a second group in the accountabilibuddies forum as well.  (I will naturally call this Pen is Mightier than the Sword PVP.)

Honestly, I was thinking of a double life quest next challenge... November 10-30, write x number of words per day (I will figure this exact number out), December 1-21, DEEP CLEAN THE INEVITABLE DISASTER THAT MY HOUSE WILL BECOME IF I DO THIS.

• Like 4

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads

Yikes!  You are right!  The accountabilibuddies forum is attached to the six-week challenge, which won't begin until Nov 10.  The forum is unlikely to be up 2 weeks early.  Our best bet is an open PvP, since you can set specific dates for it and not attach it to the challenge.

I can move the accountability group topic from one challenge subforum to the next. Somebody just needs to send me a PM asking me to when the time comes. :encouragement:

-

• Like 2

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Vicki, we should brainstorm during our unpacking party, I could use a sounding board!

I can definitely make us a PVP near the end of October, then we can decide closer to the next challenge start if we want a second group in the accountabilibuddies forum as well.  (I will naturally call this Pen is Mightier than the Sword PVP.)

Honestly, I was thinking of a double life quest next challenge... November 10-30, write x number of words per day (I will figure this exact number out), December 1-21, DEEP CLEAN THE INEVITABLE DISASTER THAT MY HOUSE WILL BECOME IF I DO THIS.

Done, let's do it. :)

That's the best PVP name. I like that PVP name. 

That's a great idea, actually, because between Inquisition and NaNo and the 6-week challenge... ahahahaha, my poor apartment. Maybe if I keep up with the crockpot adventures my kitchen situation will at least be tame comparatively? ;;;;;;

• Like 2

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

I can move the accountability group topic from one challenge subforum to the next. Somebody just needs to send me a PM asking me to when the time comes. :encouragement:

-

Oooooooooooooh!  Thanks, boss!  You're awesome!!!

What would you guys think of me creating a group in the current challenge forums at the start of zero week (October 27th) and just having it moved over, then?  PEN IS STILL MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD.

• Like 3

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads