Forums are back in action! ×

NaNoWriMo?

Writing this for the third time, because I have this f***ing ergonomic mouse that has eight extra buttons, and the one NEAREST WHERE YOU PUT YOUR HAND is the backspace key.  Who in the hell would put that on a mouse and not give you the ability to change it?!?!

Anyways, I'm down for it this year, my 10th year NaNoing. My son, age 12, is also doing it for the first time, which is kind of awesome.  My story was inspired by him (working title: Robot Boy), but it's become a lot darker than I had initially planned. It's best described as 'Adventure Time meets Carnivale'. His story is about all the clowns in the world suddenly acquiring a mass Borg-like consciousness.  I am terrified of his story. 

Looking forward to it!

• Like 2

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Writing this for the third time, because I have this f***ing ergonomic mouse that has eight extra buttons, and the one NEAREST WHERE YOU PUT YOUR HAND is the backspace key.  Who in the hell would put that on a mouse and not give you the ability to change it?!?!

Anyways, I'm down for it this year, my 10th year NaNoing. My son, age 12, is also doing it for the first time, which is kind of awesome.  My story was inspired by him (working title: Robot Boy), but it's become a lot darker than I had initially planned. It's best described as 'Adventure Time meets Carnivale'. His story is about all the clowns in the world suddenly acquiring a mass Borg-like consciousness.  I am terrified of his story. 

Looking forward to it!

..................I don't want to meet this story in a dark alley.  :dread:

• Like 1

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Stars just pointed me over to this topic and I'm stoked. This is my first year trying NaNo. Been thinking about it in years past, ever since high school pretty much, and this year I'm gonna do it. Looking forward to the accountability group.

Spent every day these past couple weeks planning (read: banging my head against a brick wall and making pitiful sounds). Making progress!

• Like 2

Level 2 Mountain Elf

4 STR | 5 DEX | 1 STA | 0 CON | 4 WIS | 2 CHA

Battle Log | Epic Quest

Current Challenge: Ornata Thrives in the Darkness

Past Challenges: 1

Accountabilibuddies: CutLasses | NaNo Nerds

"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

Lets have the accountability group just as the current challenge ends.

I've stopped all planning and outlining to spend two weeks resting and doing without caffeine. It's the calm before the storm!

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.

I am SO IN!!! I've attempted NaNoWriMo several times...usually while also attempting school. Recipe for stress, disaster, and giving up, right there. 

But this year I'm not in school! 

My life quest right now revolves around the story I'm writing with my best friend...and that's really my biggest priority, BUT as it's already half done and being worked on cooperatively, I don't think it'd work well for NaNo.....So I'm gonna split my 50k I think. Whatever I write for my co-op novel will count towards the word goal, as well as whatever I write on my own for whichever story I decide on. 

*looks at calendar* holy moly. 10 days left to decide on a story and snowflake it effectively....crud. Better get working!! *hurry scurry*

• Like 1

Everything is Training

and

Training is Everything

My Quest has only just begun...

There's been some discussion of this on my challenge thread, so I thought I'd send out the call.  Any rebels thinking of taking a hack at NaNo next month while still trying to maintain healthy lifestyles?  The last time I did NaNo, I think I binge-ate chocolate chip cookies and got a Cinnabon after work every day.................................................... probably not going to do that anymore!!!!

Anyway, it'll fall in the next challenge cycle, but if there are a few of us insane souls, I was thinking of starting an accountabilibuddy group for those trying to write and work out and work and take care of their families and take over the world because why not all at once.

I would, but I will need someone to keep me on track. I have commitment issues when it comes to month long challeges, especially with my writing. Though that might push me to get my webcomic started. Hmmm.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

I knew twins once with that problem. Their parents thought it would be cute to give them matching names like "Jon" and "Jonathan" (names changed to protect the innocent), and of course they had the same birth date and SSN only one digit apart. It was a logistical nightmare, because the insurance company insisted Jon was just a nickname for Jonathan.

My parents didn't know they were having twins and it took several years for the insurance to believe that there were two babies. I'm in my twenties and the hospitals STILL try to combine our records into one person or can't keep us straight, even though our names don't match and our SSNs are multiple digits apart. Even with both of us in the room going "no, that injury has to be mine, I know where it hurts, that one is hers...." Luckily we have only had two occasions to be in the hospital at the same time over the past ten years or so. And they seem to have an easier time if it's just me.

Just wordcount (and summary, if you want).  If you posted it free online and you tried to get it published, you couldn't. ;)

I might give interested parties access to view my gdoc though, because I do like input!

Can I volunteer for this if you still want feedback later? I have an English literature degree, I swear I can be helpful! -^u^-

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

NANO NEWB REPORTING IN!

Could someone please tell me what 'snowflaking' is? ;_;

I'm also getting slightly NaNoNervous.  I've got my outline like 80% done but I'm hoping when I sit down to write, my motivation and creativity is consistent through the whole month and not just hype for 2 weeks, and then I've got blank pages... eee...

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

I need to get started on my outline.  I'm trying to decide what I want to write.  Then I have to attempt to come up with a title and character names. If anyone wants to add me I'm Ana Sims.  I'll add those of you who have posted names to my buddy list. :) 

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

NANO NEWB REPORTING IN!

Could someone please tell me what 'snowflaking' is? ;_;

I'm also getting slightly NaNoNervous.  I've got my outline like 80% done but I'm hoping when I sit down to write, my motivation and creativity is consistent through the whole month and not just hype for 2 weeks, and then I've got blank pages... eee...

For your reading pleasure:

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/

TL;DR  its an outlinine method...

• Like 1

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

I always participate in NaNo, knowing I won't finish.

I have a full-time job (librarian), a part-time job (college teacher), volunteer with Frontier Girls (similar to Girl Scouts), and have severe depression.  the only year I won, I didn't have a job, lol.  so I do it every year, but I never succeed anymore.

• Like 1

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

That is the advantage of dating a roleplayer. You gave me an idea to go off of and I put in your lap a rough outline while you sleep.

Last year, for RPWriMo, I topped out 100k....... RP is so helpful!  Here's hoping I can write as fast without collaboration, ha!

• Like 1

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I have a full-time job (librarian), a part-time job (college teacher), volunteer with Frontier Girls (similar to Girl Scouts), and have severe depression.  the only year I won, I didn't have a job, lol.  so I do it every year, but I never succeed anymore.

I work 2 jobs and I am a wee bit concerned about this myself..... I'm going to give it a go, though!

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads

So many outlines! Anyone else a pantser like me?

I've done both!  Sometimes pantsing is fun, but sometimes I have a hard time getting to an ending and I just write and write forever until I don't remember where I started......... trying a full outline this time and hoping it cures me!

But I love/miss the freedom of pantsing.........................................

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads

You are missing the point. As soon as you write something to paper, you have already won. You are writing. Every word you put to paper/screen is a word the naysayers never did. Remember that to try and have some success is still success. Just my own two cents. Take it as you will...

• Like 3

WillBlackrose, level 16 Human Assassin STR 12 | DEX 13 | STA 15 | CON 15 | WIS 12 | CHA 14

Life Quest: Evolution of an idea

Reduce base weight from 300 to 180: Progress point 203#

Main Quest: Conditioning and endurance

Planks in 100# weight vest:

Lvl 1(1 minute): Done.   Lvl 2(2 minutes): Done.  Lvl 3: 3 minutes: Done. Level 4: (4 minutes)

Side Quest: Stamina of the Ancients

Lvl 1: 1 mile constant movement: Done Lvl 2: 2 miles constant movement: Done

Lvl 3: 3 miles constant movement: Done Lvl 4: 4 miles constant movement: Done

Lvl 5: 5 miles constant movement: In Progress

Looked up the snowflake method that was suggested here and got my first two steps done.  I have to say though, my story looks like it's going to be pretty dark.  I love horror movies and wanted to do a horror/suspense theme, but it might be too dark for me as I typically keep my writing light and funny. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

Looked up the snowflake method that was suggested here and got my first two steps done.  I have to say though, my story looks like it's going to be pretty dark.  I love horror movies and wanted to do a horror/suspense theme, but it might be too dark for me as I typically keep my writing light and funny. 

I too am snowflaking!! ^_^

Mine is definitely going to be dark, with a few light humorous elements at the start.. but yeah, high five for dark horror! ;)

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

I should snowflake. Maybe next week. Or... idk, maybe I'll just pants the thing and see how that goes for me. I haven't had the time to really do any outlining or anything, so I'm tempted to go back to my last NaNo novel and just rewrite that. ;;;;;;; WE SHALL SEE.

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log