Forums are back in action! ×

Anyone else have the problem of owning way too many books

Also:  Too.  Many.  Books.  I know what those words mean individually, but strung together they have no meaning.

You can't have too many books, too many wines, or too much ammo.

Or too much bacon.

Because bacon.

• Like 3

My parents used to have a large library at our old house in Indiana..the kind with a sliding ladder that scared the crap out of me to climb.. (it was right next to the railing and a huge drop to the first floor..lol).

Now in their new house they don't have room for all of the books, so they are dividing them up amongst me and my siblings and donating the rest.  I've laid claim to most of the Stephen King's, all Tom Clancy, Grisham, etc.  Also laid claim to all the book series, including several that could fetch a fair price one day (I like to think ahead)..my book collection is about to get massive.

My favorite book is my 2nd edition of Morals and Dogma..I was slightly disappointed when I found out it wasn't a 1st edition..it's condition is immaculate tho and I am well aware it is worth a pretty penny.

Best purchase I ever made was a gift for my sister and brother in law's wedding: 1st edition of the first collection of all of Edgar Allen Poe's works..$50 with shipping on ebay..condition was near perfect (had to do some minor repairs to the binding).  They keep that one locked away.

If you can't tell..I do enjoy antiquing/collecting rare items..I'm always on the lookout for a steal and a seller that doesn't realize what they are sitting on, lol

• Like 2

I have an office/library with an entire wall of bookshelves that I have to go through every few years and pick books to donate in order to make room for the new ones. No problem with ebooks (or audiobooks for that matter) but I still love the smell and feel of the paper book.  You have to wonder if we'll be the last generation to feel nostalgia for printed media.  My childhood memories of waling into a library or book store and feeling the world at my fingertips are just too powerful to squash, no matter how convenient the alternative (thanks a lot LeVar Burton :playful: ).

there is no such thing as too many books.

I recently got a kindle and have been enjoying it - though there's nothing like the smell of a real book.

I left all of my signed firsts at my mom's house. She has pretty much every wall of every room in her house covered in books (not even close to an exaggeration). I'll get them from her when I buy a house or plan to not move for a while.

When I was traveling a lot and homeless I would buy books and then give them to goodwill when I was done with them, because I just didn't have the room to travel with them. I probably should have looked into a kindle then.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

"Too many books" just seems so... wrong.

That being said, I do have too much STUFF in my room, and some of that STUFF happens to be of the literary variety that happens to collect dust and happens to topple over occasionally and happens to be far too heavy for my bookshelf.

And because of that STUFF that is sometimes TOO MUCH, I am looking into purchasing a kindle! I've decided first-through reads will be on a kindle, and then if I really love a book, I will purchase the real thing. Or if it's something I know I'm going to want in physical form...

So. Anybody have a kindle and have a recommendation on which to get? I want just a basic e-reader, so I'm looking at the paperwhite and the voyage. No need for any of the fire/tablet-type bells and whistles.

• Like 1

Challenge | Twitter: @jarnold427 | Obsession

New Goal Progress

0%
0%

Start: 190   |   Goal: 175

Goal Achieved!!!

100%
100%

Start: 225   |   Goal: 190

Battle Log: Operation Avenger

That must have been a cool house to grow up in.

And to visit :) I always go home with a few new things to read!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

If too many books if a thing (and I don't believe it is) then I am definitely guilty! I have around 150 unread books in my bedroom, and probably about the same that I have read. I need a kindle, but there's something about curling up in bed with a handful of dead tree that I would miss!

level 1 half-elf (half-hobbit) adventurer.

(wannabe ranger).

full time awesome.

str 3 . dex 2 . sta 0 . con 2 . wis 0 . cha 1
challenges: 1 

I'd say that there is no such thing as too many books, but then I realized that I'm going to have to pack and transport all my books for an upcoming move and I'm very worried that I won't have enough space and some of my ink-filled friends will be left behind (or even worse, sold off). I'm supposed to be culling my collection, but then I wandered onto Amazon (curse you, Prime, and your tempting free shipping) and started adding to my collect. I think my husband is about to stage an intervention.