Forums are back in action! ×

Doctor's Visit Woot!

Early last November I had a check-up that showed (among other things) high cholesterol (total 251).  He said he wanted to check again in a couple months and see if I'd managed to lower it.  By early January I'd lost about 20 pounds, but my cholesterol went up to 271 (I learned after this that increases in cholesterol aren't uncommon during weight loss).  The doctor prescribed statins, which I refused to take.

Last Saturday I had another ollow-up (blood draw was the prior Saturday).  He came in looking rather pleased, my cholesterol was down to 213, and he opined that the statins were working well.  When I told him I wasn't taking statins he was highly impressed that I'd caused such a steep drop in my numbers in under two months by my own efforts.

He tends to be a nay-sayer as far as lifestyle changes.  I suspect he'd much rather I popped his pills.  When I told him my intention of losing weight he told me I'd probably lose 20 pounds and then stop, I'm now up to over 30 pounds.  He asked me how I changed my diet, I told him I went low-carb.  He asked me how long I thought I could sustain it, I told him as long as necessary.

He wants to see me again in three months, at which time we can discuss eliminating the blood pressure meds too.

My secrets, which aren't secrets AT ALL to the folks here are NF:

- Find an exercise you enjoy.  I absolutely HATE running on a treadmill, or running outside for that matter, so I don't do it.  I enjoy walking outside though, so I walk.  I intend to try weight lifting, I enjoyed that years ago, I suspect I will again.

- Make good choices when possible, for instance even if you have a burger, have mixed vegetables instead of fries.

- Substitute things you enjoy for other things you enjoy.  I like vegetables, so having them in place of fries isn't a hardship

- Make yourself happy.  If you really WANT a burger and fries, have a burger and fries.  One "bad" meal isn't going to screw things up.  But related to that:

- Don't let one indulgence sink you.  So you had a burger, fries, and a couple beers last night.  Today, bring on the grilled chicken and veggies.

- Finally, Make the lemon worth the squeeze.  If you DO indulge, make it worth it.  If you have a burger and fries, have a GOOD burger and fries, not fast food.  If you have a chocolate chip cookie, get a good one from a bakery, not a bag from the supermarket.

• Like 7