Forums are back in action! ×

For the longest time I stared at this screen because I wasn't sure I wanted to do this but here goes nothing:

To make a short story even shorter I am here because I am overweight and out of shape. I am tired of being out of breath after bending over to tie my shoes or walking up a single flight of stairs at work.  I am tired of having to take breaks when my son and I are kicking the soccer ball around in the front yard.  I am tired of not liking the way I look and feel.  I've tried many times before with minimal success but always end up falling off and going back to my old habits.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Stats:

27yo

Male

Ht: 5'10"

Wt: 255 lbs

Good time to start.

I had almost the same stats as you, waited until I was 42 to start, and that wasn't a good idea.

Spend time on the forums, read as much as you can, there are lots of wisdom on these pages.

But remember the 3 basics: Eat lots of vegetables, drink lots of water and walk every day. The rest is detail. 

• Like 1

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

Getting in shape. It feels like a big deal, like it's some kind of hard thing that requires a complete change of your life, and that's why it can be so difficult to start.

But you just have to start. Just do it. Just do something. Go for walks around your neighborhood. Track calories for a while - it's not as hard as it seems - and figure out where your extra calories are coming from, then cut down on those foods. If you want to get technical about it, then find out what your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is, and your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), and make sure your calorie intake is somewhere between those numbers on a daily basis. And that's it, really. It may take a while to see results if all you do is eat at a mild caloric deficit, and do a small amount of exercise, but it will eventually work.

• Like 1

Hey man.  I'm right there with you.  Similar height weight and...gender?  Well same gender.  Good to see someone else in the same boat, or spaceship, or insert nerd vehicle here haha.

SØREN RØMER

Lvl 0 Human ranger

"it's kind of fun to do the impossible."

-Walt Disney

Welcome!

Allow me to direct you to the General Fitness forum, specifically the "Help me build a workout plan" and "Help me clean up my diet" sub forums. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and very encouraging people here who will be able to help you along your fitness quest. Many have backgrounds similar to your own and will be able to share how they got to where they are now.

Starting the journey is half of the battle. Sticking with it is the other half.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Welcome!

I was about your stats when I joined here, although nearly twice your age, I'm 51.  I started off even heavier than that (271), I'd already started losing when I found Nerd Fitness, I found it while searching for body weight exercises.  This site is a great place, full of helpful people and great advice.

There's nothing wrong with a phased approach to getting in shape.  Do what you can now, and add more or change to something more difficult as you're capable of doing it.

A few things I've learned:

1) MOST of your success of failure comes from your eating habits.  As it's often said on NF, you can't outrun a bad diet.

2) The best fitness program for you is the one you'll actually DO, whether eating or exercise.  For instance, in my case I HATE running and will only do so if someone is chasing me with an axe.  I enjoy walking, and now that the weather is (hopefully) improving I plan to get my bike out.  I also plan to start lifting weights.  For eating I pretty much do paleo, not strictly, but when I have a choice I try to choose paleo.  I like meat and veggies and can usually do without carbs, so it works for me.

3) Don't let an over-indulgence derail you.  So you went to a birthday party and had cake.  Don't use that as an excuse to quit doing what you're doing, one indulgence won't undo everything you've accomplished, just don't let it be the first of a string of indulgences.

4) I like to put this as "Make the lemon worth the squeeze".  If you decide to indulge, make it something you'll enjoy.  If you really feel like having a burger and fries, go get a good one (or make your own), don't go to Burger King.  Then tomorrow go back to the grilled chicken and mixed vegetables.

• Like 1

For instance, in my case I HATE running and will only do so if someone is chasing me with an axe. 

wow ..... what a coincidence .... I hate running, unless I am chasing someone with an axe !!!!

we should meet up at weekends .. just think how fit we would get. 

• Like 1

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

wow ..... what a coincidence .... I hate running, unless I am chasing someone with an axe !!!!

we should meet up at weekends .. just think how fit we would get. 

I forgot to add that I only run far enough to get to one of my firearms so I can shoot the SOB who's chasing me with an axe......