Forums are back in action! ×

CHRONOLOGICALLY BLESSED

I used hollerith cards my first few years as a programmer.  I worked with COBOL, IMS (I was the first female DBA at my company), VSAM, then moved on to midrange, but I do remember those old days!  When I started, we had to send our work to data entry to get the cards typed, and we had a card reader on the development floor.  Twice a day, we'd get our new cards from data entry, run them through the reader, then test our programs - then send up requests for more cards, and twiddle our thumbs until they came!  No one believes me when I tell them I was a programmer, but didn't have a computer or even a monitor at my desk!  I just retired this year - good to hear from some others who remember when 20 gig took up an entire computer room, and you couldn't hold it in your hand!

When I was a kid, we went on a field trip to see a computer. It was the most impressive things I'd ever seen, it covered almost the entire room!Funny to think that my laptop can do more than that computer could.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I was thinking about the sleep thing, and wondered if many of the symptoms you're having (the depression and emotional eating) might be sleep related? I don't know enough about the science, but articles I've read talk about the importance of getting enough sleep and how lack of sleep creates a domino effect in our bodies, especially if it's long term.

Maybe your doctor could address the sleep problems to see if that would make a difference.

sent from my tiny particle accelerator

I am reading the book, Go To Bed, by  Dr. Sarah Ballantyne PhD., and she says, yes, science shows that lack of sleep can cause food cravings. So that really could be affecting all the other things. 

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

When I was a kid, we went on a field trip to see a computer. It was the most impressive things I'd ever seen, it covered almost the entire room!Funny to think that my laptop can do more than that computer could.

When I was in college (early 80s) the BIG supercomputer was the Cray, used for hard core number crunching, things like weather models.  It had about the same computing power as an iPhone 4.  That's what happens when computing power doubles every 16 months, a la Moore's Law.

• Like 3

I was thinking about the sleep thing, and wondered if many of the symptoms you're having (the depression and emotional eating) might be sleep related? I don't know enough about the science, but articles I've read talk about the importance of getting enough sleep and how lack of sleep creates a domino effect in our bodies, especially if it's long term.

Maybe your doctor could address the sleep problems to see if that would make a difference.

The sleep problems are because of the hot flushes. It's impossible to sleep when you are flashing hot and cold like an octopus for hours at a time.

My blood test was today so I'm straight back on the pill, gimme gimme gimme oestragen! Oestragen is the magic stuff that stops hot flushes but I'm pretty sure the pill makes me fat. These last 2 weeks without the pill have been really taxing and the last 2 days I resorted to sleeping pills, I don't want to do that very often because they are really addictive.

I'm especting the test to say I'm really low risk for pregnancy, then I can change my combined pill for hrt, which, with any luck won't have the weight gain problem. But this is why for the moment I've decided I'm staying fat, no amount of clean eating or going to the gym made a difference last year, why should this be any different?

STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

The sleep problems are because of the hot flushes. It's impossible to sleep when you are flashing hot and cold like an octopus for hours at a time.

My blood test was today so I'm straight back on the pill, gimme gimme gimme oestragen! Oestragen is the magic stuff that stops hot flushes but I'm pretty sure the pill makes me fat. These last 2 weeks without the pill have been really taxing and the last 2 days I resorted to sleeping pills, I don't want to do that very often because they are really addictive.

I'm especting the test to say I'm really low risk for pregnancy, then I can change my combined pill for hrt, which, with any luck won't have the weight gain problem. But this is why for the moment I've decided I'm staying fat, no amount of clean eating or going to the gym made a difference last year, why should this be any different?

Because, in spite of it not making a difference on the scale, working out does make a difference in strengthening muscles so they protect your bones and joints, plus it's good for your heart. It's something positive you have control over.

• Like 1

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Because, in spite of it not making a difference on the scale, working out does make a difference in strengthening muscles so they protect your bones and joints, plus it's good for your heart. It's something positive you have control over.

Oh yes, I do know you are right and I do make sure I get a walk in most days. I'm rehabbing my shoulder so I lift light weights every other day - it's made a crazy difference to my arms without even breaking a sweat - I just wish I could extend that to my stomach!

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Oh yes, I do know you are right and I do make sure I get a walk in most days. I'm rehabbing my shoulder so I lift light weights every other day - it's made a crazy difference to my arms without even breaking a sweat - I just wish I could extend that to my stomach!

Ohhhhhh goodness yes. I hear you! I wish I could extend that to my thighs and hips! But everyone has some area that's stubborn fat, so we all can relate.

• Like 1

Had a scary day yesterday. Son3 admitted to having suicidal thoughts. He was living with his Grandparents in town, so we brought him home, now I feel like I am on suicide watch. He is a good kid but struggling, with life..........this wasn't a total shock, but I didn't think it would be him.

Please get him to his doctor and a therapist.  i speak from experience.  I ignored the signs of depression in myself for 4 months.  Then I had a breakdown. This was in November of 2014.  I was suicidal, and I spent a long, hard night fighting the urge.  The only thing that stopped me was the thought of my husband finding me and what it would do to him.  I admitted it to him the next day and we went to the doctor.  I was hospitalized for four days and spent a month in all-day outpatient therapy.  It was the best thing that ever happened to me.  I'm happy, I'm making decisions that benefit me, and I'm doing things for my health and wellbeing.  I'm a different person in a good way, and I have the tools I need to stay that way.

If he's talking to you about it, it's time to get him help.  There is no shame in this.  Modern times put far more stress and pressure on human beings than we were ever meant to endure.  I am not ashamed to tell anyone I needed help to deal with stress and pressure.  It's no different than a physical ailment.  It may be hard at first, but it will get better.

• Like 4

Saw this article. Great story of a 56 yr old woman doing her first pull up, and a very do-able how on pull ups. 

http://www.strongfirst.com/your-first-pull-up-how-to-for-senior-aged-women/

• Like 3

Had a scary day yesterday. Son3 admitted to having suicidal thoughts. He was living with his Grandparents in town, so we brought him home, now I feel like I am on suicide watch. He is a good kid but struggling, with life..........this wasn't a total shock, but I didn't think it would be him.

oh SevenofSeven, I'm so sorry. The good news is that at least he is talking about it and you can do your best to help him. I've a friend who is a Samaritan, they are always there to talk to, totally impartial........I hope you are both finding some support somewhere.

Saw this article. Great story of a 56 yr old woman doing her first pull up, and a very do-able how on pull ups. 

http://www.strongfirst.com/your-first-pull-up-how-to-for-senior-aged-women/

That is so so cool! I miss trying to do pull ups but this rotator cuff is a slow slow recovery - I can only just put my arm over my head again, I need to do really slow weight increases at very low reps for months yet it looks like.

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Right, time to make a start on sorting my life out.
I'm back on the hormones but it's day 3 now and I'm still getting wild temperature fluctuations and not sleeping. Misfit says 3 light hours last night.
Plan is to take a sleeping pill tonight before I totally lose it, then hopetully towards the end of the week the flushes will be under control.

This amount of sleep deprivation makes me crave sugar and carbs, I really cannot fight against that at the moment, too tired.

Once the sleep is sorted I can nudge my diet towards primal again. Be nice to start running again but sleep first.

I've started a battle log to write down everything I eat, hopefully seeing it written down will make me realise how out of control I am at the moment.

Have any of you found battle logs help? I'm not in a place to do a challenge right now.

• Like 3

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Right, time to make a start on sorting my life out.

I'm back on the hormones but it's day 3 now and I'm still getting wild temperature fluctuations and not sleeping. Misfit says 3 light hours last night.

Plan is to take a sleeping pill tonight before I totally lose it, then hopetully towards the end of the week the flushes will be under control.

This amount of sleep deprivation makes me crave sugar and carbs, I really cannot fight against that at the moment, too tired.

Once the sleep is sorted I can nudge my diet towards primal again. Be nice to start running again but sleep first.

I've started a battle log to write down everything I eat, hopefully seeing it written down will make me realise how out of control I am at the moment.

Have any of you found battle logs help? I'm not in a place to do a challenge right now.

I think battle logs do help. One of my NF friends never does a challenge. The main thing is to keep posting, ask for support, tell people what you need, and get back on track when you fall off. That works for her, so it may work for you.

• Like 1

Watching TV and a commercial comes on for Lyrica.watching it and they make a point that doctors said moving more makes symptoms easier. So that makes me wonder if actively pursuing even bodyweight workouts would make living with fibromyalgia easier.

It's official! I am post menopausal! Woot and double woot. Just need these poxy heat fluctuations to dissapear now and life will be sweet - oh and if my body could stop storing fat that would be ace.

• Like 2

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Sometimes I just want to give thanks for being born a man.  Life is much less complicated.

yep, I'm glad I have a son, two women in the house would be very hard work - I barely get on with the cat!

By the way, I appreciate your wise words on my battle log, lots to think about there.

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

yep, I'm glad I have a son, two women in the house would be very hard work - I barely get on with the cat!

By the way, I appreciate your wise words on my battle log, lots to think about there.

There's a reason why it was considered bad luck for a woman to be on a ship, the idea being that the ship is female, and two women couldn't get along.

My wife is still peri-menopausal.  I've learned to be VERY careful.......

:playful:  :pirate:  :rolleyes-new:  :nightmare:  :nevreness:  :mushroom:

• Like 3

It's official! I am post menopausal! Woot and double woot. Just need these poxy heat fluctuations to dissapear now and life will be sweet - oh and if my body could stop storing fat that would be ace.

Woohoo! And feeling a bit jealous. :redface-new:

• Like 2

Woohoo! And feeling a bit jealous. :redface-new:

I do feel like I need a gold star, or a badge to sew on my brownie uniform or something :-) No, that would be wrong..... :-)

• Like 2

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

I had never done a plank before this.  My first try, I was able to do it for the full 15 seconds I was supposed to, and my husband said my form was very good (in fact, he was surprised I held it), but I couldn't take a breath.  Is this usual?  It felt like I couldn't expand my diaphragm.  I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if it just because the muscles need to get stronger.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crystal Jade said:

I had never done a plank before this.  My first try, I was able to do it for the full 15 seconds I was supposed to, and my husband said my form was very good (in fact, he was surprised I held it), but I couldn't take a breath.  Is this usual?  It felt like I couldn't expand my diaphragm.  I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if it just because the muscles need to get stronger.  

Thought this might help.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/how-to-do-a-plank

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

7 hours ago, Crystal Jade said:

You should be able to breathe while doing a plank.  See if the link helps.  

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

10 hours ago, Crystal Jade said:

First day planking, I remember it well, I was told to try three times for up to 60 seconds each. I didn't come close. 

They do get better with practice, and as with any exercise breathing is important. Start with shallow breathes and work your way up. 

Now RKC planks are my favorite core tool. 

Good luck and have fun

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aneralled the level 6 Hound Archon, Warrior-Druid 

STR 11|DEX 4|CON 8.5|STA 10.5|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 
                                                                                                                         this day and all the days to come.