Forums are back in action! ×

CHRONOLOGICALLY BLESSED

1 hour ago, peelout said:

Today is my 3wk anniversary of NOS (no smoking).  

$2000/yr savings

1hr/day increase in productive time use at work due to not taking smoking breaks

Massive heath benefits

woot! well done you, that is so brilliant!
what are you going to do with the money? :-)

• Like 1
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

I noticed something.  Bear with me please.

Last year I felt old (at 52), worn out.  Then I started barbell training and I felt great, younger than I had in years, energized.  Then I got worn out again, ID go to the gym on Wednesday still worn out from Monday.  

So I stopped and feel old and worn out again.

I need to get back under the barbell, at a level that appropriate for me.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Scumspawn said:

woot! well done you, that is so brilliant!
what are you going to do with the money? :-)

Bank it

10 hours ago, Msnerd55 said:

Grats!  There is nothing harder than quitting smoking.

9 hours ago, Granny Nogg said:

Woot Peelout! Congrats, dude! May you live longer and prosperer.

....*sent from my tiny particle accelerator*....

Thanks all.  Feels good to reach this milestone.  Next is my 30day anniversary.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

11 minutes ago, Mark D said:

I noticed something.  Bear with me please.

Last year I felt old (at 52), worn out.  Then I started barbell training and I felt great, younger than I had in years, energized.  Then I got worn out again, ID go to the gym on Wednesday still worn out from Monday.  

So I stopped and feel old and worn out again.

I need to get back under the barbell, at a level that appropriate for me.

When you got "worn out again", was it after a period of feeling great, increasing wts, feeling stronger, increasing wts, and then feeling burnt out?  Thats what usually gets me burnt out.  I get caught up in the great feeling of getting stronger and keep increasing intensity, then get burnt out before I realize I've over done it.  May not apply to you, but thats my thought.  I forget that at 55, the amount of energy is much more limited than when I was younger..

You said you were thinking of doing stronglifts.  Is that something you enjoy?  

Current Challenge 

Sometimes I feel like Rocky in the one where he fought Mr T.  When he was prepping for the fight, he was training, but he wasn't hungry.  At 55, how do I get back the "hungry" feeling I had at 20?

Maybe I'm just having a mid-life crisis.

Time to get shit done.

Current Challenge 

16 hours ago, peelout said:

When you got "worn out again", was it after a period of feeling great, increasing wts, feeling stronger, increasing wts, and then feeling burnt out?  Thats what usually gets me burnt out.  I get caught up in the great feeling of getting stronger and keep increasing intensity, then get burnt out before I realize I've over done it.  May not apply to you, but thats my thought.  I forget that at 55, the amount of energy is much more limited than when I was younger..

You said you were thinking of doing stronglifts.  Is that something you enjoy?  

I did Stronglifts, I suspect the intensity was too much for me, so I'd go to the gym on Wednesday still recovering from Monday.  I enjoyed it but think I need to scale back so I can recover.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Mark D said:

I did Stronglifts, I suspect the intensity was too much for me, so I'd go to the gym on Wednesday still recovering from Monday.  I enjoyed it but think I need to scale back so I can recover.

Thats why I don't do squats.  I used to do them when I was younger, but now, the sap a lot of energy out of you if you start trying to push it.  Bench press doesn't do that to me.  I've never done deadlifts, but I've decided to start trying them out.

Current Challenge 

Feeling worn out! I get that!!!!! But I have been "tired" for the last 10 years, I think life just got heavy! I definitely am in a better state of mind when I can work out frequently. I would hate to think where I would be if I hadn't fallen in love with lifting. Probably on the couch watching re-runs of MASH.

Wait! What............?

On 4/2/2016 at 11:56 AM, peelout said:

Thats why I don't do squats.  I used to do them when I was younger, but now, the sap a lot of energy out of you if you start trying to push it.  Bench press doesn't do that to me.  I've never done deadlifts, but I've decided to start trying them out.

In my admittedly limited experience, deadlifts will fry you much more than squats.  That's why most programs limit you to one set of deadlifts instead of 3-5 sets.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Mark D said:

In my admittedly limited experience, deadlifts will fry you much more than squats.  That's why most programs limit you to one set of deadlifts instead of 3-5 sets.  

Oddly I've had different results, squats kill me but dead lifts keep me going. 

Different strokes for different folks i guess

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aneralled the level 6 Hound Archon, Warrior-Druid 

STR 11|DEX 4|CON 8.5|STA 10.5|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 
                                                                                                                         this day and all the days to come. 

Yep. I can do shoulder/chest work every day. Squats 2 or 3 times a week. Deadlift..once a week is plenty.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

16 hours ago, megnaripd said:

I'd bet a lot has to do with physiology.  Personally I can move MUCH more weight deadlifting than squatting, which puts more strain on me, which requires more time to recover from.  I imagine another issue is that in SL you do deadlifts AFTER squats, so you're supposed to pull five reps of DL after doing 25 total reps of squats.  Yeah, my body hated me.

• Like 1

Just a note, personal milestone:

60 minutes of jogging at 5.2 mph, I know that's not much to you real runners out there but up until about 6 months ago the longest I had ever jogged/run in my 51 years was 15 minutes and that was a lot.

• Like 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aneralled the level 6 Hound Archon, Warrior-Druid 

STR 11|DEX 4|CON 8.5|STA 10.5|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 
                                                                                                                         this day and all the days to come. 

6 minutes ago, megnaripd said:

Just a note, personal milestone:

60 minutes of jogging at 5.2 mph, I know that's not much to you real runners out there but up until about 6 months ago the longest I had ever jogged/run in my 51 years was 15 minutes and that was a lot.

I'm glad you wrote that.  One of the next items on my bucket list of near term desires is to try to develop the ability to jog a little ways.  I'm pretty active, but I could not jog 1/2 around a short block.  I've always hate jogging/running, but envied those I would see out running on a country road miles from nowhere.  As soon as I get my short term strength goals out of the way, I'm going to start a little jogging.  

What method did you use to accomplish this?

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

On 4/1/2016 at 5:56 AM, peelout said:

Today is my 3wk anniversary of NOS (no smoking).  

$2000/yr savings

1hr/day increase in productive time use at work due to not taking smoking breaks

Massive heath benefits

CONGRATS!!!!  

On 4/4/2016 at 0:50 PM, peelout said:

I'm glad you wrote that.  One of the next items on my bucket list of near term desires is to try to develop the ability to jog a little ways.  I'm pretty active, but I could not jog 1/2 around a short block.  I've always hate jogging/running, but envied those I would see out running on a country road miles from nowhere.  As soon as I get my short term strength goals out of the way, I'm going to start a little jogging.  

What method did you use to accomplish this?

I'm a big fan of the couch to 5K type programs.  And Zombies Run has a really fun version if you like music and RPG with your physical exertion.

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Anyone here savvy on car insurance?  My 20yr old daughter just got her PTA degree and is moving out and about 5 hours away. :apologetic:  I asked the insurance company how long I can keep her on my policy and they said "they recommend getting a new policy when the child moves out unless they are going to college".  I asked if recommend meant require.  They repeated with the work "recommend" and I repeated "does that mean it is required".  They finally said no to my question.  I'm wondering if there is any down side to keeping my daughter on my policy.  I realize I am liable in a lawsuit, but I am liable now plus she is very responsible.  Overall, the insurance would be cheaper, and she could just pay her portion of the policy which would be less than if she got her own policy.  Anydown sides to doing this that I might not be thinking of?  Although she paid for the car, it is in my name which we would have to do so that I could insure it.  Plus we don't have to pay for a title transfer.

I was on my parents until I was 25, despite almost consistently having at least 1 - 2 tickets to my name.

Current Challenge 

1 hour ago, peelout said:

Anyone here savvy on car insurance?  My 20yr old daughter just got her PTA degree and is moving out and about 5 hours away. :apologetic:  I asked the insurance company how long I can keep her on my policy and they said "they recommend getting a new policy when the child moves out unless they are going to college".  I asked if recommend meant require.  They repeated with the work "recommend" and I repeated "does that mean it is required".  They finally said no to my question.  I'm wondering if there is any down side to keeping my daughter on my policy.  I realize I am liable in a lawsuit, but I am liable now plus she is very responsible.  Overall, the insurance would be cheaper, and she could just pay her portion of the policy which would be less than if she got her own policy.  Anydown sides to doing this that I might not be thinking of?  Although she paid for the car, it is in my name which we would have to do so that I could insure it.  Plus we don't have to pay for a title transfer.

I was on my parents until I was 25, despite almost consistently having at least 1 - 2 tickets to my name.

My understanding is that if the child is no longer a dependent (as in going to college), then the insurance company has a reason to deny the claim.  So sure, they're perfectly willing to take your premiums to pay for her insurance, but if she hits a tree they can say "Sorry, not covered, she's not living with you so she's not supposed to be on your policy".

Laws vary by state, so you might want to contact your state insurance commission to ask them.  

I knew a guy years ago who (even though he lived with his parents at the time) had his car insured on his father's business insurance instead of their personal insurance.  He had a Lincoln Mark IV (early 90's version of the high-performance luxury car, think the "sporty" Caddy's they make now).  He was driving in his usual manner (like a maniac), changed lanes to the right to pass someone at about 110 mph, hit the curb, sheered off the right-front wheel, pinned the corner of the car, spun around into the guardrail (now going backward, guardrail on driver's side), tore off the door and woke up with a hunk of guard rail sticking out of his leg.  

Not covered, because he (a) wasn't employed by his father (b) it wasn't a company car and (c) he wasn't going about company business.  So the wrecked car (which he still owed money on) and his medical bills were all his.

In short, be VERY careful about messing with insurance companies.  They have people on the payroll whose sole function is to find a way to NOT pay a claim.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Mark D said:

My understanding is that if the child is no longer a dependent (as in going to college), then the insurance company has a reason to deny the claim.  So sure, they're perfectly willing to take your premiums to pay for her insurance, but if she hits a tree they can say "Sorry, not covered, she's not living with you so she's not supposed to be on your policy".

Laws vary by state, so you might want to contact your state insurance commission to ask them.  

I knew a guy years ago who (even though he lived with his parents at the time) had his car insured on his father's business insurance instead of their personal insurance.  He had a Lincoln Mark IV (early 90's version of the high-performance luxury car, think the "sporty" Caddy's they make now).  He was driving in his usual manner (like a maniac), changed lanes to the right to pass someone at about 110 mph, hit the curb, sheered off the right-front wheel, pinned the corner of the car, spun around into the guardrail (now going backward, guardrail on driver's side), tore off the door and woke up with a hunk of guard rail sticking out of his leg.  

Not covered, because he (a) wasn't employed by his father (b) it wasn't a company car and (c) he wasn't going about company business.  So the wrecked car (which he still owed money on) and his medical bills were all his.

In short, be VERY careful about messing with insurance companies.  They have people on the payroll whose sole function is to find a way to NOT pay a claim.

Ugh. My son is still on our insurance. He has a job and has moved out, just hasn't gotten around to getting insurance (he moved out last July) His dad keeps reminding him, we even told him if he had a claim it could be denied. But he's 24, and sure he won't have a claim;) Maybe we just need to tell him we are taking him off ours and that will force him to get it in gear

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

1 hour ago, SevenofSeven said:

As soon as Son1 moved out we helped organise all his own insurance. We couldn't afford to keep him on ours, being our main motivator. Australia may be slightly different to USA, but as stated above, they have people employed, to find reasons NOT to pay out on claims!

Insurance companies, like all other companies, exist to return a profit to their owners.  They don't do that by being stupid (despite the fact that many companies are VERY stupid with money).

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

10 hours ago, wildross said:

Insurance companies, like all other companies, exist to return a profit to their owners.  They don't do that by being stupid (despite the fact that many companies are VERY stupid with money).

Oh certainly, and what I said wasn't intended as a criticism of business practices, merely an observation.

Any company stays afloat by taking in more money than it spends, so insurance companies stay in business by taking in more in premiums than they pay in claims.  A big part of that is rejecting claims that they have some reason not to pay.  Slimier insurance companies reject ALL claims the first time thru (knowing that a certain percentage will just go away), but they will ALL looks for a legitimate reason to reject a claim (like the car not being registered at the policy holders address).

So tired, quick update - I took 2 weeks off the contraceptive pill so they could check my blood - good news, I'm post menopause - bad news, 2 weeks off the pill has brought all the hot flushes and insomnia back, despite being back on the pill for 4 weeks.
Dr has moved me over/down to HRT instead of the pill and I have another appt for 3 weeks time - it looks like there will be a long slow trial and error process ahead to see what works for me though. Being this tired (I've been up since 3am) means I can't think much about what I'm eating and I'm craving carbs. I mentioned fat to the Dr and she said they reccomend Weightwatchers, fuck that sideways with a stick.
She said do you exercise, I said I walk daily and I'm still rehabbing my rotator cuff so I do light lifting every other day, deadlifiting lighter weight seems to help my back and posture- she looked at my (toned!) arms rather suspiciously!
So, first step is to get my hormones at a level so I can sleep, then I can sort my eating out but from what I am reading fat stores oestragen and my body is screaming for lack of ostragen right now, losing weight won't help me feel better.

Any advice, experiences etc. would be welcome.

• Like 1
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Soy products are supposed to be helpful if you have low estrogen, but go easy since many are pretty high in fat.  

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)