Forums are back in action! ×

CHRONOLOGICALLY BLESSED

Too damn busy, need to carve out time for the important things like updating NF. I really need to get back into the challenges they were fun. 

Still hitting the gym regularly. The trainer I work with has me doing a TRX routine, not bad so far. Any opinions? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aneralled the level 6 Hound Archon, Warrior-Druid 

STR 11|DEX 4|CON 8.5|STA 10.5|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 
                                                                                                                         this day and all the days to come. 

I'm just having too much fun.  It's summer in Minnesota .... gotta enjoy it while it lasts.

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Yeah, I've just come through a really intense 4 months of travel and work.  Really knocked me back a bit.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Some back story.  I started on the Internet in 1985.  I participated in Usenet, bulletin boards, dialup modems, avoided AOL like the plague, homeschooled our kids when AltaVista was THE search engine.  Used so many different ISP's.  Seen so many online communities come and go.  I think I may have owned my main domain longer than some nerdfitness people have been alive.

I keep wondering when NF will die.  The Men's Academy Group on FB has had some folks get banned for various reasons recently.  Steve even made a rare post.

Steve, Staci and the gang seem to be navigating the shifting sands of the Internet very well....but I keep wondering.  Or maybe, it's just my age showing.

• Like 3

Tally Sheet for 2019

12 hours ago, wildross said:

I keep wondering when NF will die.  The Men's Academy Group on FB has had some folks get banned for various reasons recently.  Steve even made a rare post.

Steve, Staci and the gang seem to be navigating the shifting sands of the Internet very well....but I keep wondering.  Or maybe, it's just my age showing.

I guess they will either hand it on to younger people as they get older or the blog posts will change to reflect coping with bodies that don't recover from stuff so quickly.

update on me, I'm fat fat fat, given up on various types of HRT because of horrible side effects, now I'm learning to live with disrupted sleep (due to hot flushes) knee is still buggered if I try to run on it, left shoulder can't lift things (rotator cuff injury last year).

so, sod it, pass me the cake. I'm too tired to do much else other than eat

• Like 1
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Some back story.  I started on the Internet in 1985.  I participated in Usenet, bulletin boards, dialup modems, avoided AOL like the plague, homeschooled our kids when AltaVista was THE search engine.  Used so many different ISP's.  Seen so many online communities come and go.  I think I may have owned my main domain longer than some nerdfitness people have been alive.

I've been a part of quite a few forums that have withered and died. In the age of Snapchat, or whatever the kids are using these days, forums are obsolete. Every time there's a summer slowdown I think, "Oh no, is it going away?"

I've been wondering if I should figure out Twitter or Instagram. But maybe they're obsolete too.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

1 minute ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I've been a part of quite a few forums that have withered and died. In the age of Snapchat, or whatever the kids are using these days, forums are obsolete. Every time there's a summer slowdown I think, "Oh no, is it going away?"

I've been wondering if I should figure out Twitter or Instagram. But maybe they're obsolete too.

If they aren't obsolete, as soon as you learn it they will be.:redface-new: Seems like as soon as I figure something out, it's outdated.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 8/19/2016 at 5:04 PM, wildross said:

I keep wondering when NF will die. 

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said — “Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

tl;dr: Eventually.

• Like 1

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

46 minutes ago, Tomu-san said:

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said — “Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

tl;dr: Eventually.

Shelley one of my favorites 

You guys need to cheer up, I know is Monday but really.  . .

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may

• Like 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 

Finding myself with Monday rage and all before 0800.

Blood tests, go in mega early, 0745, as I am walking through the car park an elderly lady gets out of her car and walks in behind me, as we get to the waiting room she turns into the little alclave reserved for people who may not feel so well after blood tests, and as soon as the phlebotomist walks out she yells, and I mean yells, "Me first" so the vamire takes her into the bloodletting dungeon, takes at least 15 minutes, second elderly guy walks in and goes to the little private bloodletting room, announces he is here and he is next........WTF, invasion of privacy and utter rudeness, not like he couldn't see me and now 2 others waiting in designated waiting room! 

Go to Chemist/Pharmacy/Drugstore? To pick up prescription and ventolin for Roly, as I am waiting in line, old girl walks straight past the 3 of us in line with Drop Off sign over our heads, goes straight to counter and tells assistant she will only talk to the pharmacist and insists she be dealt with NOW. 

Hmmmmm. Why do people do that?

Wait! What............?

26 minutes ago, RandMart said:

You know her too?

What color was her hair then? It was pink when I met her, back in '83

I think his hair was brown, but I'm basing that on paintings from the early 1800's, so not a personal testimonial

47 minutes ago, RandMart said:

Could you tell they were American before they started acting like assholes, Sev?

Hey!  I resemble that remark!  As a resident of one of the rudest places in the US (New Jersey), and a former resident of another (NYC), such behavior would NOT have been tolerated, and they'd have been told in no uncertain terms to get to the back of the line and wait there turn, with a few expletives thrown in for good measure.

Some older people (including and old GF's mother) think they can get away with stuff because they have grey hair.  Until they find out they can't.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, RandMart said:

Good point

And if you call them on it they say "I don't have much time left, y'know ... I could be dead tomorrow"

Therein lies the fine line between Chronologically Blessed and Chronologically ENTITLED

To which you reply "Well if you're dead tomorrow your 30 day prescription/blood work doesn't really matter does it?"

Too old/feeble to stand on line?  By all means have a seat, the people on line will keep your spot for you.  Most people will be nice if you ASK them to give you a hand, but get pissed when you demand some accommodation from them.

• Like 2
Right, I'm nearly ready to start again. I have challenges though:

I'm post menopausal and hot flush after any exertion, changing the sheets on the bed needs a sit down and a rest afterwards.
I've done my shoulder in and can't lift anything above shoulder height.
I'm sleeping in 3 hour chunks (between flushes) so I'm exhausted, never refreshed by sleep.
I've been using sugar to induce a crash so that I can sleep because otherwise I'm like an overtired toddler.

So, all in all I'm a bit of a fat mess. I've done the HRT options, all of which have side effects that are pretty horrible.

Diet seems like an obvious one to start with, thoughts and ideas appreciated.
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

15 hours ago, Scumspawn said:

I'm post menopausal and hot flush after any exertion, changing the sheets on the bed needs a sit down and a rest afterwards.
I'm sleeping in 3 hour chunks (between flushes) so I'm exhausted, never refreshed by sleep.
I've been using sugar to induce a crash so that I can sleep because otherwise I'm like an overtired toddler.

So, all in all I'm a bit of a fat mess. I've done the HRT options, all of which have side effects that are pretty horrible.

Wow. That sounds miserable.

Diet has been the best thing to control my hot flashes and other menopausal crap. When I stick to a Whole30 meal template most of the time, I have few, if any symptoms. Sleep is a big factor, too.

I have to remember to drink a lot of water and avoid sugar and alcohol. Sugar and coffee are challenges for me. Once I start with the sugar, watch out. None is better than one.

Good luck!

Abstinence is so much easier than temperance

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tally Sheet for 2019

18 hours ago, Scumspawn said:

Agreeing with Rebe. I'm better when my diet is dialed in. Too much sugar and caffeine is a big trigger for me. I am so sensitive to caffeine now, it's just crazy.  Have you tried any of the natural supplements for sleep, like Valerian or melatonin? Also sleeping in a super dark room, make sure all electronic are off or lights are covered. We bought  blinds that are blackout so no light gets in.  When I go to bed I have just one blanket on, or maybe just  a sheet, so that I start out a little cool. Walking really helps my sleep. I find that if I walk 10,000 steps, I sleep much better. We also got an in window air conditioner which I love. I get the room super cold before I go to bed, and then turn it off. My husband thinks I'm a bit crazy to be using it now that fall is here, but having the room cool helps so much.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27