Forums are back in action! ×

Will getting a tattoo impact my routine?

So I have a small concern that I was hoping someone might be able to clear up for me.

I'm getting a tattoo on my upper arm very soon and I'm not sure if this will affect my ability to work out without messing it up. I completely forgot to ask the artist about this at my consultation. Sorry if this seems like a silly question but when I got my first tattoo I wasn't working on my fitness at all so this never came up. I was hoping someone on here has an answer for me.

I guess the main question is can I still work out my upper body once I get my tattoo? If not, how long will I have to wait until I can start again?

Thank you everyone for your time.

Not at all. Your skin will be tender for a few days, but you should be all good. 

Congrats on your coming new ink! They warned you that it's addictive, right?

Thank you. It really is, isn't it? Luckily (or not) the cost is a bit prohibitive for me. I saved up for about two years to get this one and it's been four years since my first (and only other tattoo). That being said I already know what I want my third tattoo to be so we'll see how long it takes me to save up for that one.

Just don't swim for a few weeks; really you're not supposed to swim with any type of open wound

I think I'm going to wait until my birthday to get my next one

Thank you and no worries there. I don't swim often and when I do it's in the ocean. It's much too cold for that right now though.

Interestingly, my birthday is just a few days before my tattoo. That wasn't how I planned it, just how it happened. Enjoy your new tattoo when you get it!

I have the great good fortune that my tattoo artist is one of my best friends of 20+ years standing. He doesn't let me pay him except with dinner and drinks afterward. I try not to take advantage too often.

Dang! Lucky duck.

Good thing I don't play sports :P

I'd give it a couple days to heal to help reduce the risk of infection, maybe clean it right after sweating depending on how big it is. Once it's not oozing anymore you're probably good to go. I just got mine touched up on Saturday evening and went running on Monday without any problems.

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

I'd give it a couple days to heal to help reduce the risk of infection, maybe clean it right after sweating depending on how big it is. Once it's not oozing anymore you're probably good to go. I just got mine touched up on Saturday evening and went running on Monday without any problems.

That's a good suggestion. I'll go easy at the gym the next day then. Thank you!

Since I always wear long-sleeve dress shirts at work, and me being me [eccentric, subversive and possibly dangerous; runner, surfer, skateboarder, artist-on-sabbaatical, and semi-retired musician], people assume that I must be covering up some awesome work

They are usually pretty surprised and moderately disappointed when I tell them "Nope, no tattoos at all ... lots of scars, which are stories in themselves, but no ink, sorry"

I occasionally drop hints that I have one or more hidden under my business casual costume.

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21