Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, my name is Michael. I live In Hattiesburg, MS. I'm here because I listened to the book, Level up your life: How to Unlock Adventure and Happiness. It struck a cord with me because I have always loved games where I level up a character and can sit back and look at all of my stats. Setting up a system where you actually give yourself stats just sounds plain fun to me anyway. Now I want to take them higher and higher. I have just started and have a long road ahead, but I've definitely made some progress already. I went from barely doing one push up to being able to get 10 in a go in two weeks. More to come. Also, I love the adventure side of the site and want to spend a good deal of time with that regard. I love traveling. I've been to Mexico, Italy, Greece, one day in Turkey, Scotland, and Ireland. I want to start checking off other countries from my list soon.

I found the book in Audible's suggested list after I listened to How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie which I also recommend. Steve's book resonated with me also because I recently had my first adult doctor's appointment at the age of 31. Turns out, I have high blood pressure. Like really high, like 160/110 high. Because it was our first meeting and my doc not knowing my medical history, he gave me one month before prescribing medication to bring it down. Now I'm trying to lose weight. I have been (in my mind) slightly overweight my whole life. I'very always been the big kid. In high school I weighed 330 and was still athletic enough to be all-confrence in football. Since then, I haven't needed the size and my muscle has slowly turned into fat over the years. Slimming down is #1. Also, as of writing this, I haven't had a cigarette in 6 days. I smoked since I was 17 or so, everyday for at least the last 10 years. Stopping smoking is #2, reward for which will be buying and learning to play the trombone. Pretty pumped about that haha. Another bad habit I have is binge drinking. Not that I get drunk and make a fool of myself on a regular basis, but if I was to drink it would be common for me to have 10-15 a night. Growing up in the country with nothing much to do, Friday night field parties with nothing but friends and beer where the norm. It kind of became a lifestyle. Now, I will limit myself to 6 drinks only 3 nights of the week. Still may seem like a lot to some, but a good deal of my life involves alcohol at home. I'm starting a whiskey club, I'm great friends with my local brewery (roommate is head of their lab), I worked in bars for years so I have many friends that still do. So, check my self drinking wise #3. If I can do all of that, hopefully I can stay off medication. I pride myself on not taking anything. 

All in all, I'm happy to be here. I want to learn from other's experiences and share my own. Some "nerd credentials" of mine are mostly from video games. I loved the Final Fantasy series even though i'm not up to date with them. X-2 was the last one I played haha. Tactics is still my favorite by far. Crono Trigger, Xenogears, Pokémon Red and Blue only (it just got ridiculous after that), Megaman Legends for Playstation because you could build new arms (vacuum arm ftw), MORTAL KOMBAT!!! Genesis original blood code: ABACABB (I've said if I get a tattoo it will be ABACABB), Super Mario (my grandfather bought me an NES in 88, I was 3!! Haha), let's drop the tempo a bit and go back to Harvest Moon loved that game. Anyway, old school games where my bag. I don't play as much anymore. Huge Star Wars fan (can't wait to play John Williams on trombone) and played the MMORPG Star Wars Galaxies before the new game experience which ruined it. Now a days I am more into projects. I'm big into Aquaponics, if you don't know what it is then look it up, science voodoo hahaha. I also like electronics. I'm learning Arduino and want to automate my house which I just bought on Good Friday Whoop! Whoop! Anyway, ask me anything. Whiskey, football, Game of Thrones.... I want to make friends

• Like 1

Hello!  Welcome! 

Congrats on 6 days with no cigarettes!  That will help with your BP. 

I'm new to the forums too - what are your specific steps to lose weight?  "Lose weight" is such an over reaching goal - breaking it into steps can help keep you accountable.

Are your aquaponics indoors or outdoors?

I know what it's like to be a heavy guy.  Just remember to not get discouraged.  You will fail, and that's okay.  Just stand up, dust yourself off, and try again.  Consistency is key to achieving your goals, and it sounds like you have a lot to look forward to.

Welcome to the Rebellion!

• Like 2

Level 4

Character Sheet | Current Challenge |

| Past Challenges | #1 | #2 | #3#4 |
Educate - Entertain - Inspire

Thanks guys,

Yeah, I am now 11 days without a cigarette! whoop whoop! I work offshore and not smoking out here is easier than not smoking at home so hopefully if I make the whole 3 weeks, that will give me the momentum to not smoke at home as well.

As far as losing weight, I have cut soda from my diet totally, I avoid any straight carb or starch foods and have gone mostly paleo ( again I'm offshore so I can't go to the grocery store and have to make the best of what's provided), and I skip dinner. I have lost (roughly) 13 lbs, by my last weigh a few days ago. As far as exercise, I'm trying to do what I can. I want to do bodyweight stuff. I have gone from doing 1 pushup to about 20 in my first go. It's a real challege with the bad weather we have been experiencing causing the boat I am on to rock. One second I weigh half of what I actually do, then the next I weigh 1.5 times. I can't really do my walk to Mordor, but I will once I am home. Just making the best of it now, and will go for it once I get back on land.

My reward for myself going 9 weeks without a cigarette is buying myself a trombone. I can't wait to learn to play The Imperial March form Star Wars! Also Trombone Shorty is amazing, give him a listen if you never have.

You shouldn't really skip meals.  To keep your metabolism and blood sugar up, you should eat five meals a day.  Split your daily calories up through those meals.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

I've done it before and have been moderately successful. Now with better knowledge of the food I should be eating when I am eating, I think it will work even better.

• Like 1