Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Prenote: I am intending to word this with no offence intended to crossfitters everywhere. I'm not a broscientist who thinks anything other than a 6 body part split will result in you shrivelling up into a ball of nothing, I don't know much about crossfit but I'm sure it can work when done correctly.

I'll never respect the kip though :P

Anyway, I was in the gym today doing a parkour training workout. Precision jumps, handstands, pull-ups, basically bodyweight stuff. I decided to do some jump rope (I can't remember if that's the exercise term or the 8 year olds playing in a playground term) between sets of whatever I was doing, mostly because I need some practice, I suck at it. There were a few people in the functional area that I saw looking at me every now and then, doing what can only be described as what gym bros think crossfit is. Lots of poor form light weight circuits, I wasn't even sure what half the exercises they were doing were supposed to be. Because my exercises were all on or near the functional area they'd seen most of what I was doing.

One of them comes up to me just as I've finished doing jump rope between sets of plypometric push ups and tells me that I should hold a dumbbell in each hand as I jump rope, otherwise the cardio will counteract my muscle training. I literally didn't know how to respond, I just said "uh, thanks" and continued doing what I was doing.

• Like 1

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

Prenote: I am intending to word this with no offence intended to crossfitters everywhere. I'm not a broscientist who thinks anything other than a 6 body part split will result in you shrivelling up into a ball of nothing, I don't know much about crossfit but I'm sure it can work when done correctly.

I'll never respect the kip though :tongue:

Anyway, I was in the gym today doing a parkour training workout. Precision jumps, handstands, pull-ups, basically bodyweight stuff. I decided to do some jump rope (I can't remember if that's the exercise term or the 8 year olds playing in a playground term) between sets of whatever I was doing, mostly because I need some practice, I suck at it. There were a few people in the functional area that I saw looking at me every now and then, doing what can only be described as what gym bros think crossfit is. Lots of poor form light weight circuits, I wasn't even sure what half the exercises they were doing were supposed to be. Because my exercises were all on or near the functional area they'd seen most of what I was doing.

One of them comes up to me just as I've finished doing jump rope between sets of plypometric push ups and tells me that I should hold a dumbbell in each hand as I jump rope, otherwise the cardio will counteract my muscle training. I literally didn't know how to respond, I just said "uh, thanks" and continued doing what I was doing.

Normally I can see where people's logic comes from, this one fails me... you're still doing cardio, and it'll still counteract your muscle training (using his logic)...

Also, I can see a point to kipping pullups, but I see it more from a parkour angle. :-)

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Normally I can see where people's logic comes from, this one fails me... you're still doing cardio, and it'll still counteract your muscle training (using his logic)...

Also, I can see a point to kipping pullups, but I see it more from a parkour angle. :-)

Yup, higher pull = more fluid movement upward. Not helpful for muscle building, though.

And the cardio counteract muscle thing... Uh... I don't know. Maybe it's the newest research?

Oh look, I find something:

Swoleska, M. L., Broski, G. A., & Dudestov, C. E. (2015). Cardiovascular Movement's interaction with Muscle Building. Brossfit & Science in Frat Culture, (30), 975-991.
  • Like 8

I think it's like how people power walk holding light dumbbells, or the women you sometimes see who don't want to "bulk up" so they use light weights. It makes even less sense when you consider most of the difficulty in jump rope comes from the jumping part. Man, I still can't say jump rope without feeling silly.

Don't get me wrong about kipping, I'm planning to get into parkour and I can totally see how it's useful from a practical standpoint, I just don't respect it as an exercise. Especially whenever I've heard someone claim they can do "x amount' of pull-ups when they kip the entire time.

• Like 2

I think it's like how people power walk holding light dumbbells, or the women you sometimes see who don't want to "bulk up" so they use light weights. It makes even less sense when you consider most of the difficulty in jump rope comes from the jumping part. Man, I still can't say jump rope without feeling silly.

Don't get me wrong about kipping, I'm planning to get into parkour and I can totally see how it's useful from a practical standpoint, I just don't respect it as an exercise. Especially whenever I've heard someone claim they can do "x amount' of pull-ups when they kip the entire time.

I'm bulking up fairly nicely in some areas using some pretty light weights so they could be misguided there too

• Like 1

Yup, higher pull = more fluid movement upward. Not helpful for muscle building, though.

And the cardio counteract muscle thing... Uh... I don't know. Maybe it's the newest research?

Swoleska, M. L., Broski, G. A., & Dudestov, C. E. (2015). Cardiovascular Movement's interaction with Muscle Building. Brossfit & Science in Frat Culture, (30), 975-991.

HAHAHAHAHA.... I tried to click that....

The bolded is where I'll begin to laugh. If someone says they did 40 kipping pullups, I'm fine with that. It's the misrepresentation that I don't like, and that happens a lot when it comes to working out.

For ya'lls enjoyment... :-)

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

I did enjoy that video, and here I am struggling to maintain a regular jump rope at a reasonable pace for more than 7 seconds.

I think there's a tendency to "exaggerate" among some people in the gym. If you max out at 9 pull-ups, nobody's gonna know if you say you can do 10, if you can bench press 70kg, nobody's gonna know if you say your max is 80. I know a guy who was following my routine one time in the gym, when we got to pull-ups I asked how many he could do, so that if it was too low I'd suggest he do chin-ups or inverse rows, and he said 10. I thought he didn't look like he could do more than 1, but I wasn't about to accuse someone of lying, so I told him to just do what I was doing, which was ramping up one rep at a time. First set was 1 rep, he jumped up to the bar, and more grabbed it mid jump that actually pulled himself up, but i figured it won't matter if he's 1 rep behind. Every set he swung his legs like a maniac to get himself up, wiped himself out at 7. From now on whenever we're working out together I avoid pull-ups, I tried telling him that kipping isn't a good way to improve non-kip pull-ups, but I don't think the message quite resonated with him.

• Like 1

Is that from the Journal of Irreproducable Results?

• Like 3

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

I'm impressed, not only is this amusing, but you also followed the citation guidelines exactly. I'm a psychology student, and I can't even begin to tell you how much we get hounded to get this right.

• Like 8

I'm impressed, not only is this amusing, but you also followed the citation guidelines exactly. I'm a psychology student, and I can't even begin to tell you how much we get hounded to get this right.

I am a TA. I am the one hounding the students. In the class, if you don't get APA citation correctly, you get 2 points deducted out of 20 (Prof's policy, not mine.) :tongue:

The trick is: you use Google Scholar and click the 'cite' link. Then just copy the style you want and paste... Or you can use free reference software available for your University purchases.

Okay, now I really sound like a TA. I should stop now.

• Like 5

I am a TA. I am the one hounding the students. In the class, if you don't get APA citation correctly, you get 2 points deducted out of 20 (Prof's policy, not mine.) :tongue:

The trick is: you use Google Scholar and click the 'cite' link. Then just copy the style you want and paste... Or you can use free reference software available for your University purchases.

Okay, now I really sound like a TA. I should stop now.

Or you can use a program like Mendeley or Endnote ;D

Back on topic - not so much overhead as seen:

A girl who couldn't be bothered to put her trainers back on to do planks and mid rows, and so had to work very hard to not slip all over the place.

Yes, that was me ;D

• Like 2

level 1 half-elf (half-hobbit) adventurer.

(wannabe ranger).

full time awesome.

str 3 . dex 2 . sta 0 . con 2 . wis 0 . cha 1
challenges: 1 

In the gym today and I saw one of the PTs with a client getting them to do lunges. By which I mean, she was taking up a whole platform so that the client could hold an empty barbell over her shoulders and take a slight step forward. I literally mean a step, the knees never bent more than 20 degrees. The PTs are always using a bunch of equipment so that their clients can not do exercises with it, if they want to take up space and get nothing done they should go join a protest.

• Like 2

Is this thread for good stuff too?

Today i stood and watched in awe as a guy did a double with 4 plates on deadlift. Thats the most i've seen lifted in person, and this guy wasn't big either.
I'm at a measly 2.5 plates and that's the first time i've seen someone lifting more, which is pretty amazing in itself.

• Like 7

Today i stood and watched in awe as a guy did a double with 4 plates on deadlift. Thats the most i've seen lifted in person, and this guy wasn't big either.

I'm at a measly 2.5 plates and that's the first time i've seen someone lifting more, which is pretty amazing in itself.

I can do 5 plates...

2 - 45s, a 10, a 5 and a 2.5... :-D

• Like 6

My first challenge

We have one guy at my gym that deads 4 plates too.  I don't see him often, but it's always inspiring when I do.  

=============================================================================================

And now my turn!  Got a couple good ones. 

I'm doing my warm up on the Dreadmill and I look over and see one of the regulars doing walking lunges on the treadmill.  Hmm.  Not a bad idea, actually.  She had it turned way down to probably .5 speed, and was just taking it slow and steady.  

Then the other day I walk into the gym and go down to the locker room to change out of my work clothes.  I'm halfway through changing and out of the Shower/Sauna area, here comes a girl in a sports bra and shorts.  Yes.  In the mens locker room.  I've got no problem with it, but it certainly was odd.  And the more I think about it, the more I'm sure there was a medical reason for it.  The mens locker room is significantly closer to the MMA training room than the womems locker room, and if she had a problem while training, it makes sense to take her to the closest place available.  And it's not like the guys give a damn anyway.  

• Like 3

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I'll never respect the kip though :tongue:

Skipping with dumbbells...functional Bro!

We have one guy at my gym that deads 4 plates too.  I don't see him often, but it's always inspiring when I do.  

=============================================================================================

And now my turn!  Got a couple good ones. 

I'm doing my warm up on the Dreadmill and I look over and see one of the regulars doing walking lunges on the treadmill.  Hmm.  Not a bad idea, actually.  She had it turned way down to probable .5 speed, and was just taking it slow and steady.  

Then the other day I walk into the gym and go down to the locker room to change out of my work clothes.  I'm halfway through changing and out of the Shower/Sauna area, here comes a girl in a sports bra and shorts.  Yes.  In the mens locker room.  I've got no problem with it, but it certainly was odd.  And the more I think about it, the more I'm sure there was a medical reason for it.  The mens locker room is significantly closer to the MMA training room than the womems locker room, and if she had a problem while training, it makes sense to take her to the closest place available.  And it's not like the guy give a damn anyway.  

I've had the female in the mens locker room, but I think she just didn't realize where she was seeing as how she started talking to her husband/boyfriend while there.

• Like 1

My first challenge

Not in the gym but while (sort of) training:

Cycling into work this morning when I need to turn right to head into the office:

Look behind see a car quite a distance back

Indicate right and head towards the lane which states 'Right Turn Only' (I know this to be true as there's a big damn arrow pointing to the right)

Car, in this case taxi, decides this is the time to overtake me and nearly take me out...I was close enough to hammer the window (the passenger looked pretty shocked!) and then drives straight on...I nearly trailed him to the train station which is nearby but decided on Woosah and headed to work instead (although I did give him the Luigi Death Stare)

• Like 1

Not in the gym but while (sort of) training:

Cycling into work this morning when I need to turn right to head into the office:

Look behind see a car quite a distance back

Indicate right and head towards the lane which states 'Right Turn Only' (I know this to be true as there's a big damn arrow pointing to the right)

Car, in this case taxi, decides this is the time to overtake me and nearly take me out...I was close enough to hammer the window (the passenger looked pretty shocked!) and then drives straight on...I nearly trailed him to the train station which is nearby but decided on Woosah and headed to work instead (although I did give him the Luigi Death Stare)

I've had car drivers purposefully try to run me off the roads. Sadly for them they were unaware of the combat boots I wear with my uniform and I've kicked major dents into car doors, and even taken out a head light once. I am not joking when they try to kill me like that.

• Like 5

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

I've had car drivers purposefully try to run me off the roads. Sadly for them they were unaware of the combat boots I wear with my uniform and I've kicked major dents into car doors, and even taken out a head light once. I am not joking when they try to kill me like that.

I have that happened too. I was riding on a full lane. It's a law to do so when the road is empty and there is more than one straight lane. This guy just sped over and cut me off. 

He turned and parked at the post office. So I actually confronted him. He was a much older man and frail looking. Upon seeing me, he started yelling at me about how I should have stayed on the curb, and it's my darn fault I am on the street. It might be that he grew up in a different time and not used to this. One part that angered me a bit was when I said. "You could have hit me, sir." And he said: "You would have deserved it."

Nobody deserves to get hit with a speeding car. I think I called him an old sack or something like that. I kind of felt guilty... but I was so mad at him. 

If it was my country, I'd be in for a big grilling for calling an elder an old sack. He would call my parents or my teacher and had a long complain session. Thank you America. :P

• Like 2

I wear trainers only, but I do have a hefty kick!  Nice work!

• Like 1

I have that happened too. I was riding on a full lane. It's a law to do so when the road is empty and there is more than one straight lane. This guy just sped over and cut me off. 

He turned and parked at the post office. So I actually confronted him. He was a much older man and frail looking. Upon seeing me, he started yelling at me about how I should have stayed on the curb, and it's my darn fault I am on the street. It might be that he grew up in a different time and not used to this. One part that angered me a bit was when I said. "You could have hit me, sir." And he said: "You would have deserved it."

Nobody deserves to get hit with a speeding car. I think I called him an old sack or something like that. I kind of felt guilty... but I was so mad at him. 

If it was my country, I'd be in for a big grilling for calling an elder an old sack. He would call my parents or my teacher and had a long complain session. Thank you America. :tongue:

That really sucks, as you say, different time, but still, that;s pretty awful from the old fart!

I've been hit while riding through a parking lot. Middle of winter, trying to get to class. THe guy peeled out of his parking spot, nailed me and sent me flying into a snow drift and took off without ever checking on me. My bike tire was bent in a near 90 angle and I had a bruised femur, which let me tell you HURTS. I was also late to class, and the professor screamed at me until I showed him a picture of my bike. And then he had my friend take me to the nurse' office.

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

I've been hit while riding through a parking lot. Middle of winter, trying to get to class. THe guy peeled out of his parking spot, nailed me and sent me flying into a snow drift and took off without ever checking on me. My bike tire was bent in a near 90 angle and I had a bruised femur, which let me tell you HURTS. I was also late to class, and the professor screamed at me until I showed him a picture of my bike. And then he had my friend take me to the nurse' office.

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that! Some people are just horrible.