Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

I too was distracted by the clenching... It made me wonder if I have been doing OHP wrong. I just started doing them 2 weeks ago... Going to have to get my clench on tonight after Dodgeball.

Lol well if you wanna ruin this by talking for and technique, yes you should be clenching your cheeks hard. You should really be clenching them for every lift.
  • Like 2

I have a friend who benches, and whenever he does he keeps his head up throughout, I'm not sure why, he just keeps his eyes fixed on the bar. Is this just weird or is it also bad for the spine, it sounds like the kind of thing that would be bad for the spine.

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

Not in a gym, but I was discussing fitness with two ladies at different times and they both said they didn't want to do weight lifting because they didn't want to get 'bulky'. Like they were going to swell up to Schwarzenegger big in a few weeks. Persistent, that one myth is. yoda.gif

• Like 4

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I have a friend who benches, and whenever he does he keeps his head up throughout, I'm not sure why, he just keeps his eyes fixed on the bar. Is this just weird or is it also bad for the spine, it sounds like the kind of thing that would be bad for the spine.

Hmmm...I don't really know. I know 3 points of contact on the bench (head, upper back, butt) is often preached but I have seen many people lift their head off the bench as the weight comes down to their chest.

Not in a gym, but I was discussing fitness with two ladies at different times and they both said they didn't want to do weight lifting because they didn't want to get 'bulky'. Like they were going to swell up to Schwarzenegger big in a few weeks. Persistent, that one myth is. yoda.gif

We haven't heard that one in a while, I was hoping that that idea was slowly becoming extinct

Not in a gym, but I was discussing fitness with two ladies at different times and they both said they didn't want to do weight lifting because they didn't want to get 'bulky'. Like they were going to swell up to Schwarzenegger big in a few weeks. Persistent, that one myth is. yoda.gif

Show them the Gold Medal winners for Olympic weight lifting... Doesn't matter the weight category, but going with where they want to be might help. :-)

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Just thought of this... but does he touch his chest with the bar? If not, be might be making sure it comes down far enough...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Hmmm...I don't really know. I know 3 points of contact on the bench (head, upper back, butt) is often preached but I have seen many people lift their head off the bench as the weight comes down to their chest.

It's not that he lifts his head up when he lowers the bar, it's that his head never stops being up.

Just thought of this... but does he touch his chest with the bar? If not, be might be making sure it comes down far enough...

I don't think it's that, he's not very good with ROM or form. I'll point out the head thing next time I'm benching with him, though whenever I point out issues with form he'll correct he next rep or two and then revert back to normal. You should see his bench press form, flat back, shoulders forward, head up, elbows flared to 90 degrees, it's a mess.

Bodybuilding is what put weights in the mainstream anyway, so it'll probably be there as long as anyone has any respect for Arnold. It's really insulting to Arnold when you think about it though, suggesting that he became that huge on accident. You know how much steroids cost?

Usually when I'm trying to get them to do it I just show them a picture of Marilou Dozois Prevost busy not lollygagging around with any pink 2-pound weights.

marilou_dozois-prevost.jpg

• Like 3

"Really, all dadbods have to do is use determine the number of calories they need every day to lose weight—which will still be a lot—whilst simultaneously keeping their protein high"

Isn't that a ) super vague and b ) applicable to most of the population who want to lose weight? Sure some people will need lower calories than others, but generally speaking small caloric deficit + enough protein = lose fat. Or are non-dadbods supposed to sacrifice a ram to the great lord Imhotep on the third Sunday of every month during the 30 minute anabolic window and I just didn't get the memo?

• Like 3

"Really, all dadbods have to do is use determine the number of calories they need every day to lose weight—which will still be a lot—whilst simultaneously keeping their protein high"

Isn't that a ) super vague and b ) applicable to most of the population who want to lose weight? Sure some people will need lower calories than others, but generally speaking small caloric deficit + enough protein = lose fat. Or are non-dadbods supposed to sacrifice a ram to the great lord Imhotep on the third Sunday of every month during the 30 minute anabolic window and I just didn't get the memo?

Just sounds like someone is a little jealous of dadbods.

• Like 2

I too was distracted by the clenching... It made me wonder if I have been doing OHP wrong. I just started doing them 2 weeks ago... Going to have to get my clench on tonight after Dodgeball.

It'll add pounds. It's one of the fixes I always point out to people. Clench the butt, clench the quads, as hard as you can.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Over heard at the gym today:

No, get off my lap.

You little shit.

No, I do not want your butt in my face.

Stop.

Stop headbutting me

My fingers are not food.

The joys of working out at home, doing wall sits, and having a cat that is convinced I am a jungle gym. All of it was me saying to my cat.

• Like 7

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

Over heard at the gym today:

No, get off my lap.

You little shit.

No, I do not want your butt in my face.

Stop.

Stop headbutting me

My fingers are not food.

The joys of working out at home, doing wall sits, and having a cat that is convinced I am a jungle gym. All of it was me saying to my cat.

At my home gym it's more 'get off my Yoga mat!' And of course the perfect time to climb on my back is when I'm doing planks. %@$?&*

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Belatedly jumping in on this whole "dadbod" thing...dadbod the body is one thing. Most people who train will never be super trim, either because that's not what they train for or because, while they're working hard, they simply have a more difficult time achieving that shape, and that's perfectly acceptable. It's dadbod the mentality that I take issue with, because it really is (I hate myself for quoting broscience here) "the embodiment of complacency". In a time period where obesity and it's associated health issues have reached epidemic proportions in numerous first-world nations, to say that "I'm okay with gorging myself on pizza and beer and never really working to better myself physically" is off-putting at best.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

I think it depends on a persons priorities and responsibilities. I want to be in good shape, plus I'm a student with no real responsibilities outside of keeping myself alive, so if I had a "dadbod" it would be due to laziness or lack of motivation. But take a 40 year old man with a job and wife and kids and whatnot, if he had a dadbod it would be because he has to work and look after his family, for him to have a great physique would just demonstrate his priorities aren't in order.

I think it depends on a persons priorities and responsibilities. I want to be in good shape, plus I'm a student with no real responsibilities outside of keeping myself alive, so if I had a "dadbod" it would be due to laziness or lack of motivation. But take a 40 year old man with a job and wife and kids and whatnot, if he had a dadbod it would be because he has to work and look after his family, for him to have a great physique would just demonstrate his priorities aren't in order.

No, this implies that any dad which a great physique is not a good father/husband/provider. That is not true.

• Like 1