Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Just want to get a bit more fitness in then I'll shell out the 40-50 a month for a real gym.

$40-50 a month?!?  Where are you?  I found an MMA gym around me (St Louis) with a free weight section bigger than their machine area for $10 a month.  

Every gym in my town (good or bad) charges about $50 a month, but only if you pay for an entire year at a time. Otherwise it's more... But those are AUD, so there is a conversion thing to consider as well.

Eeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!  I will never complain about my gym ever again.  It's £18 a month for the use of all facilities (pool, sauna, squash, gym, and tons of exercise classes) and has a pretty decent free weights section.  All I have to do is pluck up the courage to go in there :o

I think most Aussie gyms are pretty expensive compared with other countries - my membership is $80/month for a strength & conditioning gym. The cheapest commercial gyms i found in my area were 40-50/month. taking the plunge into a membership was a big step for me as I kept using finances as an excuse - now that $80 is money well spent :)

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

And limit your rom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How so?

Different people have different goals. Body builders just care about aesthetics not functional strength. If that's what they want more power to em.

"Functional strength" is relative.

It's a fallacy though that bodybuilders aren't strong. They are far beyond the strength of the average individual.

The greatest thing about the rebellion I think is that we accept all kinds. If you want to look good, awesome. If you want to be strong, that's awesome too. We do this through rejecting ideas that are fed to the masses yes but only because those ideas are false. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look good.

I don't disagree. Body builders are incredibly strong, those muscles aren't just for show! Just as they tend to focus on isolation training to sculpt their muscles to look a certain way they won't be as coordinated as a sports athlete. They'll have less functional strength outside of their chosen lift style.

That's all I meant, but they're not looking to do things like that. And that's their choice. I was saying don't knock guys who use focus on isolated stuff if that works for the goals they want.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

The majority of that comment was not directed at you, just so you know. Just that bodybuilder's bodies are in fact "functional". Not that anyone can agree as to what that means.

There was some negativity from others on the isolation front though and the rest of my comment was directed at that.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Eeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!  I will never complain about my gym ever again.  It's £18 a month for the use of all facilities (pool, sauna, squash, gym, and tons of exercise classes) and has a pretty decent free weights section.  All I have to do is pluck up the courage to go in there :o

Ugh, try a CrossFit box.  The nearest one to me costs $150/month.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

The majority of that comment was not directed at you, just so you know. Just that bodybuilder's bodies are in fact "functional". Not that anyone can agree as to what that means.

There was some negativity from others on the isolation front though and the rest of my comment was directed at that.

:suspicion: ...*slowly backs away*

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

werd.

that tends to be the most hated on group at the gym which is sad- because in order to truly get to performance shape- you have to put in your time- and do your homework- it's not just lifting and losing some body fat. 

It makes me really sad- they are some of the greatest people at the gym- I love them.  

Also women who wear make up- they get hated on a lot to. Also makes me sad. 

it's not bothering you- don't worry about it. 

Golden rule applies at the gym- just like everywhere else. 

Don't be a dick. 

• Like 3

I actually have a great deal of respect for bodybuilders, the level of commitment and work that goes into competing is easily as much and in many cases more than in most other competitive sports.

It's not something I would choose though.

Golden rule applies at the gym- just like everywhere else.

Don't be a dick.

In the end I think it all boils down to this. If I disagree with someone's training techniques, unless they ask for my help/opinion, I'll keep it to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

How Not to be A Dick

1. Don't be a dick

2. See 1.

This has been another edition of "Rules to Live By"

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Ugh, try a CrossFit box. The nearest one to me costs $150/month.

Wow! I pay £18 for a 1-on-1 session and £5 per class at Crossfit Ben Nevis. I mean, I always thought it was good value for what you get, but even more so now. Maybe you should move to Scotland ;)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Wow! I pay £18 for a 1-on-1 session and £5 per class at Crossfit Ben Nevis. I mean, I always thought it was good value for what you get, but even more so now. Maybe you should move to Scotland ;)

Would almost be cheaper to fly there, workout, then fly home...

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Am now considering it.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

$32 a month. There are cheaper gyms in my area, but they aren't 24/7 access. I work third shift and get REALLY bored on the weekends. 3:30 am on a Sunday. Everyone I know is alseep, no place is open save the Wal Mart....

I find it worth it.

• Like 1

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

$32 a month. There are cheaper gyms in my area, but they aren't 24/7 access. I work third shift and get REALLY bored on the weekends. 3:30 am on a Sunday. Everyone I know is alseep, no place is open save the Wal Mart....

I find it worth it.

I now must make a video of Late night Walmart workouts. Instant viral hit. 

• Like 1

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I now must make a video of Late night Walmart workouts. Instant viral hit. 

I can neither confirm nor deny doing these workouts in younger years when money was much tighter..... ><

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I did have a bit of a moment last night...

Was doing my training and it was DL, OHP and Chin up day...all of which can be done on the power rack (yay!)

The gym was pretty busy and I'd just completed my dynamic warm up and saw a dude doing pull ups at the power rack...'no worries' thinks I, we can share this monument to lifting...

So I trundle over as he finishes his set and ask if he's done, to which he replies 'Well, I'm doing pull ups in between lifts' and motions to the smith machine, which is racked up with some weights.

'That's ok' I respond 'we can alternate!' to which my new erstwhile gym buddy nods his head.  He then goes to the Smith Machine and starts doing some sort of lift, I didn't pay attention as I was focussing on form due to my last session having some horrendous form at 110kg.

I finish my 5 reps and the dude is still lifting, so I look around for some plates to add to the empty bar so that I can build up to 110kg, thinking, this will give him a chance to get on the bars and do his pull ups without me being in the way...he just ups and disappears after the set!

Perhaps my manly deadlifting of an empty oly bar scared him??

Winner for me as I got to bang out all my exercises with decent form and a bit stronger than previously!

Happy days!

• Like 2

Not from personal experience, but a friend of mine just posted this gem on facebook...

"I saw the stupidest shit in the gym yesterday I've ever seen. So there's three squat racks all taken up. While waiting my turn to get in (15 minutes) I watch some dude get in a rack and put four plates up on each side. That's a 405 lb squat. No warmup or anything. Once he gets the bar set up all nice he just leaves. Like, for 20 straight minutes.

In the meantime there's this couple power cleaning TWO bars on one platform. And they couldn't do plate math, so it's literally a 45lb bumper weight, 2 10s, 3 fives and some 2.5s. There was about 1" at the end of the bar for the clip. So i have no smaller weight as i'm working up on my squat cause they sourced weights from all three squat racks for their TWO bars.

So as i'm finishing up my final set some guy asks if anyone was using the rack with the 405 lb bar loaded up. We tell him, No we haven't seen that guy in forever. So this guy goes and takes off all four plates on one side. So when he takes off the last plate the whole bar catapults off the squat rack and dumps plates and shit all over the ground.

Then when I finally leave I see people deadlifting in the ab workout area. Wtf."

• Like 2

Level 3 Bearded Assassin

Str: 10     Dex: 9     Sta: 6     Con: 7     Wis: 4     Cha: 3

Current Challenge: Respawn    Past Challenges: 1 2 3

Daily Battle Log   Album

"I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of ever finding it again."

I was an idioty at the gym...the Smith machine was in use (for squats or chest presses, I can't remember!)

So I decided to do inverted bodyweight rows on the power rack with the Olympic Bar...looking back I realise how dangerous it was and how stupid I looked...

I do this plenty. Just put the Oly bar on the safety pins. You're not gonna hurt it.

Not from personal experience, but a friend of mine just posted this gem on facebook...

"I saw the stupidest shit in the gym yesterday I've ever seen. So there's three squat racks all taken up. While waiting my turn to get in (15 minutes) I watch some dude get in a rack and put four plates up on each side. That's a 405 lb squat. No warmup or anything. Once he gets the bar set up all nice he just leaves. Like, for 20 straight minutes.

In the meantime there's this couple power cleaning TWO bars on one platform. And they couldn't do plate math, so it's literally a 45lb bumper weight, 2 10s, 3 fives and some 2.5s. There was about 1" at the end of the bar for the clip. So i have no smaller weight as i'm working up on my squat cause they sourced weights from all three squat racks for their TWO bars.

So as i'm finishing up my final set some guy asks if anyone was using the rack with the 405 lb bar loaded up. We tell him, No we haven't seen that guy in forever. So this guy goes and takes off all four plates on one side. So when he takes off the last plate the whole bar catapults off the squat rack and dumps plates and shit all over the ground.

Then when I finally leave I see people deadlifting in the ab workout area. Wtf."

I did that exactly once. I think I figured 275 was the most possible on the bar with nothing on the other side (without that happening) once, did the physics. It might be slightly higher though.

For those who get dressed up to go to the gym...

I hate you for putting that in my head.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf