Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Take a station and refuse to leave it if he's doing that. If he makes a deal out of it, tell him to go get the gym staff to settle it. Either they'll set him straight, or give a strong indicator that you should get a new gym.

• Like 3

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Anyone here a personal trainer, or have experience with a personal trainer? Insight is needed.

Guy was working with a moderately fit male and female at the gym, and he was having them do rope climbs. The guy made it all the way up. The girl didn't, so instead he had her do reps climbing up with her legs anchored to the ground. She kept complaining that she was tired and  that her hands hurt, and they both kept insisting (it even sounded like nagging to me) that she "push herself" and that "it's supposed to hurt". She fell on her ass a few times, and it didn't look or sound like it felt good. My question is, is this a normal thing? Do people actually pay to be nagged, or could this just be an example of someone putting-up with shitty service?

CrossFitters like to tell each other to push themselves, but in my experience it's always encouraging (sometimes even a little too positive and encouraging). In the Infantry we like to go the low-education, high-machismo route, with a lot of high fives, and words like "pussy" and "bitch" being yelled all over the place; that usually results in a lot of overtraining, injuries, and massive weights being moved. In my old MMA gym we went with the honesty system, and you'd find out if you trained hard enough when you stepped in the ring. Then we have those Bootcamp Fitness and shows like The Biggest Loser where they're supposed to yell at you. Perhaps people actually ask for this?

I may end up working at a gym quite soon, working with diverse populations, fitness levels, and learning styles. I'm just trying not to be this guy (which I already am):

Impersonal Trainer Couldn't Give A Fuck What You Do With Those Free Weights

I worked with a personal trainer for a few sessions over the summer and while he pushed me some, it wasn't to the point of nagging. It was more like having me do another rep or two or I can remember him saying "that was the fastest second of my life" after I didn't pause when he wanted me to during rows. Actual nagging? No. That kind of thing would not work for me and I'd likely just walk out.

*Maybe* that's what the woman you saw wanted (I'm assuming she wasn't there against her will.)  I suppose some people like that kind of thing, like the Biggest Loser and bootcamp people.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Anyone here a personal trainer, or have experience with a personal trainer? Insight is needed.

Guy was working with a moderately fit male and female at the gym, and he was having them do rope climbs. The guy made it all the way up. The girl didn't, so instead he had her do reps climbing up with her legs anchored to the ground. She kept complaining that she was tired and  that her hands hurt, and they both kept insisting (it even sounded like nagging to me) that she "push herself" and that "it's supposed to hurt". She fell on her ass a few times, and it didn't look or sound like it felt good. My question is, is this a normal thing? Do people actually pay to be nagged, or could this just be an example of someone putting-up with shitty service?

CrossFitters like to tell each other to push themselves, but in my experience it's always encouraging (sometimes even a little too positive and encouraging). In the Infantry we like to go the low-education, high-machismo route, with a lot of high fives, and words like "pussy" and "bitch" being yelled all over the place; that usually results in a lot of overtraining, injuries, and massive weights being moved. In my old MMA gym we went with the honesty system, and you'd find out if you trained hard enough when you stepped in the ring. Then we have those Bootcamp Fitness and shows like The Biggest Loser where they're supposed to yell at you. Perhaps people actually ask for this?

I may end up working at a gym quite soon, working with diverse populations, fitness levels, and learning styles. I'm just trying not to be this guy (which I already am):

I think different people want different teaching/motivational methods used on them and different ones will work for them...things that work for me would make my wife just stop and walk away...whereas other methods don;t push me as much as they should...

If you're going into the job, use different tools with different clients, I'm sure you'll be able to pick a style and modify it for success!

• Like 2

It depends on the person. If it was a good trainer they push you to your limits- but KNOW your limits. If you seriously injure yourself under their direction they can get in serious trouble. My trainer spent some time getting to know me and how I react to certain exercises and knows to push me when I'm being a wuss (squat jumps or squat lunges nooooooooo) and when to rein me in when I'm being too ambitious and could hurt myself. I want to get stronger to get stronger, not for looks which is something she has fun with- she models my workouts after her own. She knows I'll push myself to get better so she's not so yelly/naggy with me. 

She has clients that are doing it to get their looks- or people who straight up tell her 'I want to work out so I can eat whatever I want'. So she has to push people to do what they can to achieve their goals and has worked with some of them long enough to know when they're not trying their best and throwing in the towel and I see her pushing them harder to get through their sets. 

Especially if this girl is training for a serious course and hired the trainer to prep her fast, this type of training is likely expected. 

• Like 1

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

I'm just having trouble figuring out how she was climbing with her legs anchored to the ground.   :D

But seriously, as they've said, it's about the person.  Some people want/need to be yelled at.  Others will just walk away if they get yelled at.  Personally, I like the trainer to push me with things like "c'mon, you got at least 2 more reps!"  (Assuming, of course, that they truly believe I can do 2 more reps.)

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Climbing up to a certain point with her feet still on the ground and climbing back down. Primarily upper body pulling work and grip. I hope she's not training to actually climb a rope--that's mostly technique, especially for females.

I guess I didn't consider the possibility of people going to the gym and not wanting to train existing. It seems as ridiculous to me as puking being the goal in every workout (which I guess is also a thing).

• Like 2

Climbing up to a certain point with her feet still on the ground and climbing back down. Primarily upper body pulling work and grip. I hope she's not training to actually climb a rope--that's mostly technique, especially for females.

I guess I didn't consider the possibility of people going to the gym and not wanting to train existing. It seems as ridiculous to me as puking being the goal in every workout (which I guess is also a thing).

The number of people I see come into the gym, do a couple half hearted reps or read magazines on some of the bikes with no resistance/a snails pace RPM makes it easy to believe that some just log 'gym time' without putting in the required effort to make a change. That's why I'm always skeptical of those who say they spend HOURS at the gym and never see a change....Yes, you spend hours but what do you DO? It actually matters! Most trainers know they need to work their clients both for the benefit of their clients and themselves- the clients need to see a change- or they wont continue trainer services (who would if they thought it was useless?)

• Like 1

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Euhm correct me if I'm wrong, but a burpee contains a push-up right? That look more like a fall to the floor and get back up move.

Well anyway, went to the gym today. Done with deadlifts, next up close grip bench. Unfortunately some guy just set up his weight on the bench, but also in the squatrack (for incline bench). Fair enough he wants to do a small circuit, but when he started talking to a couple people instead of actually training...

• Like 1

Fair enough he wants to do a small circuit, but when he started talking to a couple people instead of actually training...

dfed315b63652a3fb1c4dd901624ebef.jpg

"Strong in purpose and strong in action; strong within and strong without; strong against foes that are seen and strong against foes that are unseen; all the way up and all the way down, all the way around and all the way through; first, last and always—strong!"

Euhm correct me if I'm wrong, but a burpee contains a push-up right? That look more like a fall to the floor and get back up move.

2014-05-01-Burpeehistory732x380.png

Nope. But the exercise has evolved a lot since the '40s. The one in the video happens to have specific movement standards. It's the "high-power" movements like these and kipping pull-ups that the internet exercise gurus like to pick on.

Well anyway, went to the gym today. Done with deadlifts, next up close grip bench. Unfortunately some guy just set up his weight on the bench, but also in the squatrack (for incline bench). Fair enough he wants to do a small circuit, but when he started talking to a couple people instead of actually training...

So Bench Press and Incline Bench Press superset? Wow. It's not even Monday.

You totally should have worked in.

bros.jpg

Oh cool didn't know that about burpees, learned something new again.

We did work in since it was taking forever. Funny thing was he quickly assured his friends he'd already done his heavy sets when we started benching double his own weight. Did I mention one of his friends was a girl :D

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

yeah- I was annoyed- and wildly amused at the same time.

A few hrs later- she was out there and they were talking about squatting and she couldn't do a proper body weight squat without tipping forward at all- not sure what they were doing- but it was quiet evident she had no effing clue how to squat - much less a 400 lb squat.

Nailed it on the lumbar issue.

I've read some conflicting articulates about how it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be- I think a lot depends on how deep into the squat you get before it rounds. If you are rounding when you are hitting parallel and that's it- it's an issue- if you only have a little round at the bottom it's not a crisis (so I'm reading)

I'd rather just not be doing it- but I'm not seeing any results from my mobility stuff improving it- actually I'm getting pretty bent about squatting in generally- but that's a rant for another thread. 

Interesting - when I drop into a caveman, I can't help but, well, butt wink.  Must do more reading!

Sorry for quoting a months-old post.

Ah forgot one thing I overheard at the gym that all the bending of the poor skeleton reminded me of :D

I start on my first work set for my deadlifts, bend over start the lift and suddenly I hear this loud ripping sound. I spent the rest of my training with a hole going from close to my waist to just between my legs. :redface-new:

First thing to do before the next deadlift day, new pants.

• Like 3