Forums are back in action! ×

Christians: Denomination thoughts?

Calling all Christ-followers: What denomination of church do you attend, and why?

Quick backstory: I have lived in the same town all my life and visited or attended almost every church nearby, but it feels like all of them now are either a) too showy and loud for me to focus on the Scripture, or b) so old and ritualistic that there's not much life left in them. I grew up attending a Baptist church 40 miles away with my parents, but that's not an option now that I'm living on my own with no driver's license. I really want in-person fellowship with other believers and know I need to be going to church.

Thanks in advance for the input!! If you tell me what you love about your denomination (or lack thereof), maybe I can find something like it here in my town!

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

I think mine is only available in the UK - but Congregationalist? They are quiet small and are very focused on fellowship, and it just feels like a family that have gotten together to worship God. Its an offshoot of Protestantism, but I don't know how much help that is.

The only advice I can offer is to go to a different church each week, because churches within a denomination differ greatly. 

From what youve said, I would look for somewhere with <50 people, because then everyone is much more friendly. Though some people prefer up to 100, so again its very much up to you. Find somewhere that does tea/coffee afterwards, and have people come talk to you before and after the service. 

Maybe you can look for somewhere that is youth-based? They are more enthusiastic and vibrant about Christ, but also have a lot of inspiration and new ideas. If there's a university church (or the like), maybe try that out?

Good luck with your journey and I pray that you find somewhere that will fit your needs. If you ever need any more help/friendship, feel free to hit me up!

• Like 2

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

I think also it might differ not only by denominations but by church.I go to a reformed church, one of the things I love about it we do have rituals, like singing the Lord's Prayer and saying the Apostle's Creed, but it is done with joy  for what Christ has done in our lives, not mindless repetition. The other thing I really love about my church is how family focused it is.The children sit in church with their parents, and a lot of our activities are for the entire family, not all segregated into age group.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27