Have Hope, Skinny Man: Brooke's Battle Log.

Hey everyone!

So, I'm essentially a newbie.

I'm a 1st year Med student in Australia, 6 foot 2, 64 kg (pretty skinny, see picture), I just turned 18, and moved five hours away from home to another city.

Bottom line: I'm looking to bulk, feel better about myself, make some cool friends, and get my girlfriend to do a triple-take next time I see her in six weeks. (Long distance). 

I haven't done ANY proper exercise in two years (not even running 50m), I'm also a Vegetarian, but I have no problems with my caloric needs (Chia Seeds<3)

Basically, I'm looking for some support, as I don't have any at all. So if you're out there, lend a helping hand. ^^

Thanks all, 

~Brooke 

What's the point in living, if you can't feel alive? 

FB Battle Log

Right on.  Great that you're tapping into a community like this one.  There are people working from and towards most points on the body-comp and fitness spectrums, so take advantage.  At your age and into my mid/late twenties I was 6'2" and rarely above 70kg myself.  A bit of application guided by a bit of knowledge can go a long way.  Have you got an idea of what sort of strength work you'll be working into your routine?

illcDimension hopping Ranger-Cartographer, level 2STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 5 CON: 6 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

Training Log

Of Goats and Rucks Challenge (June -July 2013)

~Take care. Be bold.~

Is Edamame easily accessible? (soybeans)  I hear they are packed with protein.

Vegetarian is a bit of a challenge because I don't know if you are somewhat full out or if you eat eggs or fish... I'm sure you can get a bit of Whey protein supplement since you are not vegan you can try that.

It's a bit of a challenge to me really...  I like meat.

For bulking up you just need to increase your protein intake, along with eating more calories.  Let's see, the sustainability protein is usually between 40-70 grams per day, but since you are wanting to build muscle here is a nice snippet from an article.

let's see... you're about 165 pounds sooo... with your active lifestyle of running and endurance you may want to increase your caloric intake to 2,000 - 2,200?

How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

Half-Orc/Barbarien  Level 1

Strength (STR) - 5

Dexterity (DEX) - 2

Stamina (STA) - 1

Constitution (CON) - 3

Wisdom (WIS) - 3

Charisma (CHA) - 1

Illc & Ghost;

I've been running for a week just to get my fibres used to some new strain (I study Medicine, so I'm learning so much about muscles right down to the molecular level, it really helps with all this). I'll be following rank 1 of the body weight brigade (starting tonight):

Push ups,

Chin ups

Bodyweight squats,

Close-hand push ups,

Lunges. 

Planks.

Dak-Attak, 

I am a full vegetarian, no one can be 'half' a vegetarian. I eat eggs, drink milk, I just don't partake in the eating of flesh or subsequent animal products. I have a big tub of Gold Standard 100% WHEY protein powder. My caloric goals per day are:

Calories : 3100-3200

Fat: 75-130g

Protein: 170 - 230g

Carbs: 250-230g

Thanks for all your lovely info though :D

FB Battle Log

8th April (Body Weight Brigade)

Press ups, 20, 10, 7, 7

Squats: 36, 25, 5, 0

Side Planks: 0sec (left), 0sec (left), 0sec (right), 0sec (right).

Had to stop at 4th set for squats, I've been feeling so sick today but I was determined to give it a try, now imma throw up. 

FB Battle Log

I'm late to the show. Breaking your arm at the begining of your bodyweight progression is a big no no. Is that not something your lecturers advise against?

I'm training with a guy who is around your height but in the last few months has put 3-4 kilos of lean mass on starting with bodyweight exercises, now barbell training.

I'm 197cm and before i started training i weighed 88kgs, now i float around the 100kg mark, much healthier.

Look forward to hearing your progress :D

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Motorbikes, great for quick cheap transport, not so great when people don't check their blind spots.... or any spots for that matter. Defensive riding can only get you so far. Hows the progress been since you've healed? 

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Blind spots? Try a truckie falling asleep at the wheel at 140 kilometres an hour, then leaking oil all over the road.

I'm in physical therapy at the moment, I tore my radioulnar ligament, and it's taking some time to heal, so I've just been doing some cardio. 

FB Battle Log