Day Fifteen - Fri 6th Dec

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 40kg // 1 60kg // 1 67.5kg // 3/5/1/5/5 60kg

OHP: 5x5 22kg

Deadlift: 1x5 40kg // 1x5 50kg // 1x5 65kg

Great work out! :D I got a new 1RM (BW) and 5RM for squat! 

We had more time today so decided to push ourselves a bit, I was squatting a lot better today and it felt really good, not too heavy at all! Totally knackered by the end though. One the first set I hit the pins on the 4th rep and it threw me off balance so I only got 3 reps. On the third set I was very conscious of the pins and my hands weren’t set right so I re-racked it after the first rep. I considered doing another set at the end but I was really tired and wanted to get all my OHP reps.

OHP was good, first time I’ve got 5x5 22kg so that made me happy!

Deadlift was good too, tried out a new technique that Sam had learnt and it worked really well. My grip could still do with some improvement though!

"Strong people don’t put others down… They lift them up"

Battle Log      Instagram      YouTube

Wowsers...60KG! You go girl! 

Thanks! :D It did feel pretty good!

Day Sixteen - Mon 9th Dec

Squat: 1x5 20kg // 1x5 40kg // 5/3/5/5/5 60kg

Bench: 1x5 20kg // 5x5 22.5kg

Row (machine): 5/3/4/3/3 25kg

Argh I hate Mondays, everything is awful! Squats were a real struggle, I was feeling tired and stiff and weak and I kept getting in my own head. It didn’t help that one of the women that works at the gym (apparently a personal trainer) kept watching me. Sam suggested I took my glasses off for my last set and that helped, but I could still see a blurry mess of blonde hair watching me. She then asked about why we squat….. urgh.

We were running late so I dropped the weight down for bench and did it quickly. I do need to work a lot on form, especially the ‘bending the bar’ technique.

So hopefully Wednesday will be better!

Day Seventeen - Wed 11th Dec

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 40kg // 5/5/1/5/5 62.5kg

OHP: 5/5/1/4/2 23kg

Deadlift: 1x5 40kg // 1x5 60kg // 0/0 70kg

Less stiff than Monday but still not great. I’m getting a bit annoyed because last Friday went so well and now I’m doing really badly! It was Sam’s light day so he could spare some time to help me out, I still felt bad though because we were late getting to the gym. After 2 sets we decided that I should focus less on getting depth and more on staying upright. I was getting really distracted by my hand position too. It did help to ‘break’ the bar and tense everything, but I’m not feeling very positive about it!

I was surprised to get 5 reps for my first two sets on OHP, then I definitely didn’t rest enough before the third set and only got one rep!

More rest meant I got 4 reps on the next set, but then again I didn’t rest enough before the final set.

Deadlift was awful, 40kg and 60kg went alright, but 60kg felt really heavy and when I tried 70kg it didn’t even come off the floor. Argh!

I haaaaaaaaaaate when trainers at gyms stare at me. I know your pain. 9w9

Gosh, I'm jelly of your squats, I can JUST about make it through 5 sets of 5 reps using 20KG for squats. XD 

• Like 1

♣ Quilly ♣

Level 2 Gryphon Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 1 | CHA 0

Challenges: 1

Log

"If you cannot find Paradise,make your own."

I haaaaaaaaaaate when trainers at gyms stare at me. I know your pain. 9w9

Gosh, I'm jelly of your squats, I can JUST about make it through 5 sets of 5 reps using 20KG for squats. XD 

It was pretty annoying! I was also pretty surprised that an apparently qualified personal trainer asked why I squat, and told me that if I want to lose weight I should use light weights and few reps! I'm tempted to show her Staci's story!

You'll improve quickly though I'm sure! I'm jealous of everyone who squats more than me, has better posture than me, gets deeper than me, gets their knees out wider than me.... lol

Day Eighteen - Fri 13th Dec

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 40kg // 5x5 62.5kg

Bench: 2x5 20kg // 4/3/3/2/2 32.5kg

Row (machine): 3/2/3/3/2 25kg

Friday the 13th! oooh!! Not unlucky for my squat though! But it caught up with me on bench.

Getting deeper on squat now, trying to sort out my grip because my right hand isn’t co-operating. I don’t know if it’s because I’m still getting movement back after my surgery or if it’s something else. Sam also told me to try ‘cracking the floor’, by pushing my feet out it should help push my knees out, which did help a bit. I’m trying to tense everything more, remembering to break the bar across my back.

I was pretty knackered when it came to bench! I did better than the first time I tried 32.5kg though which is good. I have one more attempt at that before I have to de-load. I got pretty bad cramp in my left hip on the 4th set which threw me off! :(

I won’t be back in the gym till next Wednesday now because I’m going home for some Mother & Daughter time! Will have to work out fitting three sessions in around work, it might mean going 3 days in a row :/

daaaamn.jpg

Not trying to sound all creepster, but I've loved watching your videos :) If it weren't 3am, I would totally go to the gym right now! You're inspiring :) I hope your wrist and everything keep improving!

Thanks! That made me smile! :)

Here's another one for you...

Now get some sleep!

Well I'm having an indulgent weekend! After finishing work at 10pm on Friday night I got home and opened a bottle of wine and spent the night eating ice cream, drinking and watching random YouTube videos with my other half, going to bed around 2am. Got up late yesterday and did a last bit of Christmas shopping before coming back, finishing the wine from the night before and getting ready for Sam's work Christmas do. We got there and immediately there was a glass of champaign in my hand, 3 or 4 glasses later we were sat down for the meal and there was a glass of wine in front of me! Not sure how many more glasses I had because the waiter just kept topping it up! On top of all the alcohol there was a 3 course meal and a hot chocolate.

Oh dear!!

I'm going to be driving back home later today, it's a 2.5 hour journey so not really looking forward to the drive but it will be nice to get home and see my mum and cat! We're going to be going on an overnight spa break, so there's going to be more food and drink! Tis the season & all that.... Maybe I'll turn the wine down till Christmas day.

Argh blargh urgh. Not the best workout. I was happy to get all reps on 57.5kg but they didn’t feel good, my knees don’t want to turn out, I don’t get deep enough, the bar moves forward on the left and I just flop over at the bottom. I had a really incredibly shit rep on my fourth set that pissed me off quite a bit.

I feel you.

• Like 1

Human Warrior

Non nobis, Domine. Sed nomine tuo da gloriam.

Warrior: Battle Log | Old Battle Log | #1, #2, #3, #4

First Warrior/Ranger Battle Log

It was pretty annoying! I was also pretty surprised that an apparently qualified personal trainer asked why I squat, and told me that if I want to lose weight I should use light weights and few reps! I'm tempted to show her Staci's story!

Let's face it guys, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to become a "certified" personal trainer. I'm pretty sure it just takes a weekend and $100.

Keep up the great work!

Human Warrior

Let's face it guys, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to become a "certified" personal trainer. I'm pretty sure it just takes a weekend and $100.

Keep up the great work!

Ha, very true. When she said it my bf said that he could go online and print off a certificate saying he's a personal trainer, it doesn't mean he knows anything. lol. 

Thanks! :)

I'm glad I found this. You will see me everywhere muhahaha...ahem. I have no advice, but tons of encouragement! You're amazing!

(Do you still play Squash? It is my favourite sport right now. I love playing it on non-lifting days especially.)

Awesome! I can always do with tons of encouragement! :D Thanks!

I haven't played squash in ages unfortunately! I decided it would be too harsh on my wrist/forearm after surgery and now I have work on Wednesday nights so I can't play badminton either! :'(

Day Nineteen - Wed 18th Dec

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 40kg // 1x3 60kg // 5x5 65kg NEW PR

OHP: 5/5/5/3/3 23kg

Deadlift: 1x5 40kg // 1x2 60kg // 1/0 70kg NEW PR

I was a bit worried about today’s workout because my arm’s been hurting quite a bit recently and having missed Monday I thought that Wednesday might be shit like Monday’s usually are! Also for some reason my left calf was really tight and painful after the weekend, I got Sam to foam roll and massage it a bit yesterday, argh I hate that!

tumblr_inline_mxzwhtvMyt1r4u3u0.gif

But despite some slight wobbles I got 5x5 on my first time doing 65kg! So I was quite happy with that. 

OHP went well, better than last time so I’m hoping to get 5x5 next time or I’ll have to de-load.

Deadlift was iffy, I wasn’t in the best mood but I struggled getting one rep. I tried again but couldn’t get it. I did find though that mixed grip makes my life a bit easier!

Next workout on Friday and after that I’m not sure because of Christmas!

• Like 1

Day Twenty - Fri 20th Dec

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 40kg // 1x3 60kg // 5/5/5/3/2 67.5kg NEW 5RM PR

Bench: 2x5 20kg // 5/5/5/4/5 32.5kg NEW 5RM PR

Row (machine): 5x5 15kg

First time with body weight as my work weight! I was pleasantly surprised at it not feeling very heavy, but I’m still working on keeping my back straight so depth isn’t great. On the second set we’d forgotten to move the pins down after Sam’s set so I hit them a few times, but I didn’t let it throw me off! Though I did 5 reps on the 4th set, the last two weren’t deep enough and my back was flopping forward so we didn’t count those. After 2 reps on the final set I flopped forward again and failed, luckily I’d moved the pins up for that set!

I’m really happy about bench! FINALLY! At one point Sam said ‘use the power of the wraps!’ and somehow that worked. My set up felt better in my shoulders, back and legs too. I was a bit wobbly and on one set I went way too low and way too high but still got the reps. 

I don’t think I’ll be in the gym till next Friday now! Going home as early as I can on Monday for Christmas times with my Mum. I know the gym is important but Christmas is a difficult time in my family, and now it’s just my Mum and me in the house it’s important to spend time together. We have a nice day of shopping and eating planned in Nottingham followed by going to see The Hobbit! :D

I’m going to miss my Sam though, he’s going up to Sheffield after work so I won’t see him for a week now! :(

Dr.-Who.gif

.....But Merry Christmas! 

tumblr_static_christmas_with_the_doctor.

Day Twenty One - Mon 23rd Dec

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 40kg // 1x3 60kg // 4/4/5/1/3 67.5kg

OHP: 5x5 23kg - NEW PR

Deadlift: 1x5 30kg // 1x3 60kg // 1x5 70kg NEW PR

So after saying that I wasn’t going to go to the gym this morning, I found myself packing my gym bag on Saturday to make sure that I didn’t change my mind. I left earlier this morning to pack my car for the drive home and fill my tyres for the journey home.

I was the only one there and got on with my stretches and warm up reps, all alright. Then I got started on my work weight, trying to remember everything for my form, but I flopped forward on the 4th rep and re-racked it. I failed on the last rep on the second set. Third set was alright but I’m not happy with my form, trying not to curve my back means that I flop forward, trying to correct that means I curve my back :/ On the fourth set I felt strong and had a really good set up, a good first rep and then on the second I seemed to stop thinking and just fell down onto the pins. It wasn’t the best but at least I did 67.5kg without Sam for support and gave it my best shot.

I was determined to get OHP so took plenty of rest between sets and was really happy to get that!

Deadlift was a nice surprise too! I forgot the chalk so was a bit worried, I used mixed grip which helped, but my grip was slipping a lot!

I dropped the bar a bit and swore at it after, ha.

I’m going to be pretty achey but it’s nice to be back home now for Christmas

Hee hee I love those gifs :D

Congratualtions on your achievements! I can't wait to be able to do my body weight :P

Swearing at the bar somehow helps :redface-new:  "I'm in charge here, you stupid bar!" (I realize that's not swearing, but you know what I mean)

Have a merry Christmas, and here's to your continued success in the new year! I'll be reading :D And thank you for your help!

• Like 1

Ha, thanks! I'm loving gifs atm!

2ahfcly.jpg

Yeah, swearing does add to the w/o experience. I'm not quite at the roaring stage yet.

How was your Christmas? All good I hope! :)

Now for the latest workout, logged a bit late due to stupid work.

Day Twenty Two - Fri 27th Dec

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 40kg // 1x3 60kg // 5/5/5/3/5 67.5kg

Bench: 2x5 20kg // 3/2/1/3/2 35kg - NEW PR

Row: 5x5 20kg

Back after Christmas and not as rusty as I thought, but my form on squats is still pretty shocking and I don’t know what to do about it! :( I didn’t get all my reps for the third time now though so down to 57.5kg on Monday.

We went later than usual because Sam didn’t have work and I started at 1. I’m not sure the lie in is worth putting up with the amount of guys checking themselves out in the mirrors. I prefer the mornings when it’s just me, Sam and one other guy (also called Sam!).

We did rows next because the bench downstairs and upstairs was taken. Pretty standard.

First time on 35kg for bench, it felt so heavy :( I think I did slightly better than the first time I tried 32.5kg though, so I guess there’s hope! Sam’s trying a different technique atm, I can’t do all of it unfortunately because I still need Sam to unrack for me, but when I was struggling he suggested pushing toward him and it helped :)

Despite not meeting all your reps, I think you did fantastic on squats.  I'm feeling the pressure to up my game actually.  Hard to compare though, since I'm not doing 5x5 anymore.  Doing 5/3/1 I feel like I should be lifting heavier weights since I'm doing fewer reps, but I had to reset a few times for various reasons.  67.5kg for 5 sets is no joke.

Anyway, nice progress!  Keep it up  :)  And sorry about the brutes at the gym, when I read posts like this it reminds me how glad I am my husband purchased all the equipment we need to work out at home.  (I wasn't pleased at the time, as he did it without telling me and it was very expensive).

Cheers!

Human Warrior

Despite not meeting all your reps, I think you did fantastic on squats.  I'm feeling the pressure to up my game actually.  Hard to compare though, since I'm not doing 5x5 anymore.  Doing 5/3/1 I feel like I should be lifting heavier weights since I'm doing fewer reps, but I had to reset a few times for various reasons.  67.5kg for 5 sets is no joke.

Anyway, nice progress!  Keep it up   :)  And sorry about the brutes at the gym, when I read posts like this it reminds me how glad I am my husband purchased all the equipment we need to work out at home.  (I wasn't pleased at the time, as he did it without telling me and it was very expensive).

Cheers!

Thanks! :) I've heard of 5/3/1 but not entirely sure what the details of the program are, what do you do on it?

I'm jealous! I'd love to have a home gym, though I know how expensive it can be to set it up! I think when we move on from this flat we'll be looking for somewhere with a garage so that we can build one up.

Day Twenty Three - Mon 30th Dec

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 40kg // 1x5 50kg // 5x5 57.5kg

OHP: 1x5 20kg // 5x5 24kg - NEW PR

Deadlift: 1x5 20kg // 1x5 40kg // 1x5 60kg // 1x5 72.5kg - NEW PR

It’s so nice to have more time in the gym with nothing to rush to after. Sam said that my form looked slightly better on squat, but my heels still come up slightly, among the usual other problems. I’m not sure what to do about it. I might try putting my arch supports back in my gym shoes and see what happens, having flat feet might be a problem. There’s a larger than normal curve in my spine too, which might not be helping, but on the other hand it might be fine and just be making it look like my back is broken :/

I was very nicely surprised with OHP, getting 5x5 straight away when it took me three times to get 23kg! :D

I was feeling pretty good when it came to deadlift, plus there was one of the personal trainers in there with a client and I didn’t want to fail! After my warm ups I was ready to go for it with a bit less of a rest (I didn’t rest much between OHP either, but didn’t feel tired) I got 5 reps of 72.5kg pretty easily without pausing and felt pretty proud of myself! After Sam said that everyone was watching. I’m glad I don’t wear my glasses for sets, otherwise it might have put me off!

I’m going to be at a different gym now throughout January while my car’s up in Sheffield getting serviced and whatnot. It’s a bit annoying because I won’t have Sam to help, and using different equipment will be off putting at first, but I’m sure I’ll adapt!