Forums are back in action! ×

Hello all!

I am brand new to Nerd Fitness, and very excited to get started!  I'm interested in general health improvement, some weight loss, and some strength training.  I know enough about myself to realize that I need some structure to make any kind of significant changes in my life.  Plus I'm a DM and a gamer that has zero interest in joining a gym, so what Nerd Fitness has to offer seemed like exactly the right kind of fit.  I'm also a Type 1 diabetic, and I'm hoping that there might be some other T1D rebels out there that I can connect with.

I'm already plugging away at some of the Nerd Fitness Academy quests, and one of them is to share my "big why", and this seems like a great place to do it, so here it is:

I want to be healthier, fitter, and stronger so that I can watch my son grow up.  So I can be a grandpa.  So I can grow old with my wife.  I have Type 1 Diabetes and a family history of cardiac illness, and I need to take much better care of myself than I am currently so that I can live a long, healthy, fruitful life with my family.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to getting to know this community!

• Like 3

Welcome to the Rebellion! You are in the right place to start if you want to start getting fitter and healthier! Wanting to live a good long life so that you can watch your family grow up are noble goals!

I've you've not done so already have a poke around the guilds and see if you can find a group that you'll feel at home with. We are currently in the middle of a challenge cycle but the 4 week challenges are a great way to start making small, sustainable steps towards your goals! And nothing is so ridged to say that you couldn't start one right now.

Most importantly, have fun with your fitness journey and don't be afraid to ask for any help or advice!

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Welcome @DeuceLucely! It definitely sounds like you are in the right place! NerdFitness is all about gamifying your life, setting real-life quests and challenges to help you level up and gain experience points - real ones! :)  

As @jonfirestar said, we're moving into the last week of our current 4-week challenge cycle - the monthly challenges might provide the structure and accountability you're looking for. We set goals for ourselves and record our progress toward them over the course of a month - because the time frame is short, they're usually small, but they're stepping stones on our way to our Really Big Goals like "lose 60 pounds" or "bench press my weight by this time in 2019". Hopefully you have had a chance to stick your nose into some of the guilds and see what we're all about! (Just so you know, the Rangers are the best!! ;) )

Again, welcome to the Rebellion, and best of luck to you as you chase your goals! We're excited to help you get started and grow!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers