Forums are back in action! ×

My way towards (next) OCR

Owwww....uhhh Aramis, I'm sorry but you're in for a rough 2 weeks before you manage to reset your caffeine tolerance. Did you have to go cold Turkey? Maybe a less drastic shift might be easier ><

Personally for me quitting caffeine isn't that hard but I limit myself to only 1-2 cups of tea per day due to time window (caffeine interferes with iron absorption from non meat sources, which most of my iron sources are). And no caffeine 6h before bed. Quitting caffeine gave more issues socially since I can't go around sipping tea(which is one of the socially acceptable beverages) like I used to.

And of course, after my 10k run I'll get back to my caffeine habits...

• Like 1

I was thinking on less drastic approach, if I can't stand I just sip some coffee to survive. For now, I want to try fastest method. We'll see in a week's time. 

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Well, it's past 10PM and I'm still alive, without caffeine. Looks promising :) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Sleep is good. Not somewhat better - my caffeine tolerance let me drink coffee right before sleep. But no problems with it.

Aug. 20th

Ran 27 min, with average pace of 6min/km according to my tracker app. First part was big uphill that almost defeated me, but I crawled on the hill somehow (not slowing down to walk). The rest was fairly flat - I took easier route along biking road.

Big plan for "after my current program" is to get my  30min / 5K of running just by  crossing this hill multiple times (keeping 6min/km pace). 

Food - 2506kcal, 143g protein.

Weight is stabilizing slowly, with average of 76kg. This means I gained 1kg over two months. Not bad. Now I must make sure I gain muscles, not fat. I might consider gym membership. Or not. I'm not sure if I want to, but access to barbells would be helpful in progressive overload in opposition to just bodyweight exercises...

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aramis - on going up hill you may seriously consider slowing down - its hard to maintain speed uphill. I do like 7.45 -8 min on uphill but once its downhill I pick up my pace so the end is about 7.30 ish?(I am a lazy slacker when I run by myself lol).

But good job on the continuous run, uphill is rough. I was told by local run group to take smaller steps and pump arms more for uphill work and I find it effective.

Basically you got so used to caffeine it had no effect on you? =P

Hows caffeine withdrawal symptoms?

I was actually considering had I not had an office gym membership, I might actually pay $60/month for unlimited climbs in a climbing gym instead for strength training. It works out to $720 per year which is cheaper then normal gym memberships and I find I put on muscle on my upper body better once I'm up the walls.

Aug. 21st. 

Workout

3x superset:

- 11x body row

- 15x weighted squat (22.7kg / 50lb)

- 15x each hand overhead dumbbell press (5kg / 11lb)

- 10x weighted good morning (22.7kg / 50lb)

- 17x push up

Food - no junk. 2120 kcal, 117g protein. 

The big THING yesterday was METALLICA concert! I took a day off from work, did my workout in the morning, got some more reps on body rows and pushups (+1 compared to last week). YAY progress! Then we (me and wife) went to Warsaw (our capital city) for a concert. Driving through Warsaw for people from outside the city is hell. The whole drive (~300km one way) was tough because of road works along and traffic - it took us 4,5h to get there, where normally it shouldn't be longer than 3h. But we finally got there, met with my aunt who lives there for a quick rest after the road and went to stadium. 

In one sentence - despite passing years (James Heatfield is 56 years old, and Metallica itself exists for 38 years already), guys still show incredible skill and power.

@Mortimer - gym membership is something to think about. I will look for climbing place, but those are rare in my area. Need to think about it. 

Withdrawal symptoms seem to pass, headaches are only mild. First day was hard, but it gets better with every passing one. I got some caffeine though - driving in rough conditions gave me really bad headache in the afternoon, but I dealt with it with painkillers (paracetamolum with caffeine) - it worked like a charm. And I confess - I had one small cup of black coffee in the night on a way back - to keep me from falling asleep behind a wheel. I'm alive typing this on Aug 22th in the morning, so it worked :)

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Woot another metal fan! Well I generally listen to Manowar but I might go pick up a few Metallica songs to listen to. Yeah generally getting into city areas or driving in the city is ><

But even despite having a small cuppa, at least you're having much less then you previously did =) Baring distractions you should be able to quit caffeine soon.

• Like 1
On 8/22/2019 at 9:15 AM, Mortimer said:

Woot another metal fan!

Oh yes :D 

giphy.gif

I like Manowar as well (and all the epic metal bunch, like Halloween, Blind Guardian etc.) But I prefer dirtier kind - Rammstein for example (been at their concert too :D). And my latest "crush" is spanish/portugese metal - those languages give all new level to melodic vocals. Have you heard Heroes del Silencio or Rata Blanca?

Anyway, report

Aug. 22nd

Running - 27min, 4.6km (avg pace 5.85min/km). My usual offroad. Didn't get the courage to try running on the hill. Actually, I might turn this into a weekly routine - two off-road runs on fields and one uphill-only. We'll see how it'll go. 

I see I'm drifting away from my run program on this last week. But I run longer than expected so I take it as a win. 

Food - 2550kcal, 138,5g protein.

To be honest, I don't want to totally "quit" caffeine. I want to reset my tolerance by timed abstinence - this way I still can get this kick from coffee without chugging 3-4 liters a day (yes, I drank THIS amount).

In terms of withdrawal symptoms - I still constantly feel my head a bit heavy, maybe little headache in top of skull. But nothing crippling, maybe a little annoying. Other than that, I'm OK (or rather constantly tired as usual ;)).

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 23rd

Workout:

3 x superset

-  8x assisted chin-up

- 15x weighted squat (22.7kg / 50lb)

- 17x push up (did 20 reps on last set :D)

Food: 2514kcal, 134g protein. 

After work I had my kidneys' ultrasound scan. Turns out all is good, so my high creatinine levels are still a mystery. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Cool! Happy to hear that there's nothing wrong with your kidneys and keep up the good work!

My fitness buddies are trying to get me to join spartan sprint but I think I will need to work a lot on my upper body strength. I aim to do 30 push ups every day I am not strength training, broken into 3 sets.

I tried laterally moving across the monkey bars, I actually did manage to cross it but I can't swing across normally yet =(

• Like 1

Monkey bars are fun. I was able to cross 3m section, but on fully extended arms. I need to work on holding my arms slightly flexed - it's way better and faster method. Just like in this tutorial.

And report on yesterday:

Aug. 24th

Running - 26.5min, 4.6km (avg pace 5.8min/km). My usual offroad. LAST RUN OF THE PROGRAM!!! WOOT!!!

Now I need to modify the route to get full 5K without paved/asphalt roads. And think what to do next.

Food: 2429kcal, 143.5g protein. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 25th

No workout - rest day.

Instead of working out, did lots of house chores - laundry, vacuuming, decluttering some forgotten kitchen supply cabinets etc. Also helped my dad make new door to our tool shed.

Food: 2468kcal, 162g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 26th

While at sporting goods store I checked some kettlebells, and... Oh man, I'm in love. I want one. 

Workout:

3 x superset:

-   7x assisted pull-up (8 on first set)

- 15x weighted squat (22.7kg / 50lb)

- 18x push up

Food: 2472kcal, 140g protein.

My weight finally settled. Looks like eating breakfast (in form of a shake) and keeping my supper reasonable size pays off. Additionally, I lowered carb intake and replaced it with fats - coconut paste, nuts, sunflower seeds etc. This gives me enough calories with less volume to fit into my stomach. As long as I don't mix lots of fats with potatoes or pasta it's okay - if I do, my bowels protest. Funny thing - mixing fats with oats or porridge is okay. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 27th

Running - as I finished my program, I'm going to keep 5K offroad runs twice a week, while third "running day" will be sprints training (yeah, I'm coping you @Pecs, thanks for the inspiration :)). I took advice from this NF article and found nice side road nearby where I can safely run, and it is quite steep - 12m elevation in 120m length.

DSC_1482.thumb.JPG.3923b89a2878fcb130bacc9ca31fe7ce.JPG

So, that's my track. 

Sprints - 5 x 125m uphill, walk back down. I might have done one or two more, but it would be pathetically slow.  At fifth I already felt like spitting my lungs out. That was nice :D

As it took about 15min (including warmup), I ended my workout at playground doing body rows on monkeybars (they are too low for swinging - I kneel on the ground while holding the bars...).

Food - 2467kcal, 149.5g protein.

• Like 2

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Earlier report for today - tomorrow I won't have time to post this.

Aug. 28th

Workout:

3 x superset:

- 11x body rows

- 15x weighted squat (22.7kg / 50lb)

- 15x each hand kettlebell press (7kg / 15lb)

- 20x push up

3x20 means I did 60 pushups this workout! PR!

Food: 2509kcal, 148.5g protein. 

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 29th

Running - 5.25km offroad, 31min ( average pace 5.9min/km). Outside temp: 30 C (86 F). 

I just realized I enjoy running.

What is funny, I always felt some sort of disdain towards jogging etc. I thought about running only as a measure to get from point A to point B. Hiking for example has added value of sightseeing, but while running one focuses on the track, not the surroundings (or just I thought). To be honest, I started running only and exclusively as a preparation to OCR, but yesterday it hit me - I enjoy this :D

Food: 2508kcal, 149.5g protein.

• Like 2

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

*Grins at Aramis and gives him a high five*

Now you know why I run? I mean besides being prepared to run away from zombies of course... And get groceries/to the gym faster because you can run there =) 

Of course I know one of these days I really should get off trail, but it's hard to find off trail down here... 

• Like 1

:D

If you enjoy road running, just meep! meep! and run :) If I'd live in a city, I probably would ran the streets too. But as I live in the countryside, it's easier to run offroad to avoid traffic. Especially because lots of roads here don't have sidewalks, so it's a safety measure as well. 

Anyway - report

Aug. 30th

Workout:

3 x superset:

-   9 x assisted chin-up

- 15 x weighted squat (22.7kg / 50lb)

- 15 x each hand kettlebell press (7kg / 15lb)

- 10 x weighted good morning (22.7kg / 50lb)

- 20 x push up

I finally see some progress after the backslide/plateau from vacation leave. Last workout I went up from 3x18 to 3x20 on pushups and switched from dumbell to kettlebell press (2kg/4lb more weight), and this time I upped my chin-ups reps (one more per set, but still :)). This feels good.

I wonder if my running is hindering strength training performance. In article on bulking up there was something about lots of cardio messing with muscle gain. On the other hand, I started working out 5 months ago and observed great progress, so maybe I just came to a place where this first rush ends. Anyway - even small progress is good - I see I'm going the right way :)

Food: 2493kcal, 158.5g protein. 

Since I came back from vacation, I stopped limiting my protein intake and went back up into 130-150g range. I (of course) forgot to go and get my blood test results at Friday, so I need to wait till Monday to see my creatinine level. I hope it hasn't went through the roof again, since I have my CT scan on Wednesday, and I need this damned level to be low enough for doctor to use contrast agent safely. And I need this crap to precisely check the little bastard inside my head. Sigh... 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 31st.

Busy day. So busy (chores, batch cooking, family trip to a park) I had no time for run during the day, had to run in the evening. And while batteries in my flashlight died mid-run, I needed to cut the run shorter and head back home on the street. Running offroad without light is asking for twisted ankle - no, thank you. 

Running - 4.2km.

Food - 2619kcal, 131.5g protein.

My wife made Pischinger cake (similar to Torta Tre Monti cake). I ate some - maybe bit too much. I'm not feeling guilty :)

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Sept. 1st

No workout - rest day. 

I was (again) busy, because wife fell on Saturday park trip and hurt het wrist. Sunday morning it was still swollen and it hurt, so I took her to ER. They did an X-ray and gave her plaster cast because suspected scaphoid bone fracture. And because of this, most house work was on me (wife still does things that require only one hand). Did cooking, prepped my work lunch for incoming week, did some cleaning. In the afternoon my Airsoft team was organizing shooting range at some local fair, so I was busy there. 

Food - 2536kcal, 152.5g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Wife needs to go for a checkup in 10-14 days from now. Then the doctors will decide what's next. 

Shooting range was a blast, people on the fair enjoyed it and we as organizers had fun. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Sept. 2nd

Workout:

3 x superset:

-   7 x assisted pull-up

- 15 x weighted squat (22.7kg / 50lb)

- 15 x each hand kettlebell press (7kg / 15lb)

- 10 x weighted good morning (22.7kg / 50lb)

- 20 x push up

I somehow can't push through those 7 reps with pull-ups - my back just won't cooperate. I think I need to reprogram my workouts, maybe make them more focused instead all-at-once like now. Maybe one day upper body/arms, one day lower body/legs, one day core... IDK. Or just drop leg workout as I run every other day...? I think I'll post in programming section and ask for advice. 

Food: 2484kcal, 142g protein. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Sept. 3rd

Sprints: 7 x 125m uphill, walk back down.

Food: 2479kcal, 156.5g protein.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler